E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Finally got it lowered - too far though? :D

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Originally Posted by pjinca
I think it looks pretty damn good, as long as it is at the final height. If you had just lowered it then you'll need to be really careful, it will settle more.

Curious, why did you have to remove so much of the suspension when you took out your shocks? I have done around a dozen coilover installs and never had to completely disassemble the suspension. All you need to do is loosen the strut bolts (top and bottom) and push down on the caliper and it pops out in the front, in the rear you may need a buddy to stand on the rotor to push it far enough out of the way. However, they do come out relatively easily from there.
oooh dont say that, i tested on 3 different size of speed bumps earlier, the only thing i noticed on the short sharp bumps was that it hit the bump stops if i went over them too fast...

Ummm I honestly tried everything, once i got the shock released, i could just not remove it, even my mate armed with a crow bar struggled.... is it a case of being brave and forcing the caliper down with a lot of pressure? did you have the steering on any lock? I had seen a guide on here where someone compressed the shocks with HGV style ratchets - i just didnt understand why they were using them othwerwise i'd have sourced them

I've booked it in for the alignment on Thurs, still not sure about the front though, if the tyre was level with the arch i'd be much happier

worse...the front tyres are currently 235/40/19's - when i replace them i intend putting the proper 35's on which will make it worse won't it?

this is why i never lower cars
Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I followed this DIY: Shock Install - one of the best DIYs I have ever seen.

It was pretty straight forward. Did you lower it on coilovers? If so, then the settling will be minimal, around 1/4" (8mm) usually. Yes, you do have to kind of force the caliper/rotor down, I didn't need any tools to do it and it sometimes helps to disconnect the sway bar end links.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Lowered wagon for the Win....
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I followed this DIY: Shock Install - one of the best DIYs I have ever seen.

It was pretty straight forward. Did you lower it on coilovers? If so, then the settling will be minimal, around 1/4" (8mm) usually. Yes, you do have to kind of force the caliper/rotor down, I didn't need any tools to do it and it sometimes helps to disconnect the sway bar end links.
Thanks TL - mint white beast there fella!

Na another member sold me some Weitec springs, i threw these on the SE shocks (yeah i know ), theyv are also the springs for the petrol model which is prob why they are even loewer... - the ride is actually bang on, handles amazing, not too hard either which has surprised me massively
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

To me that looks like -50mm, and not -30mm.
Have you measured how much lower it is now?

I had my Eibach Pro-Kit springs installed a month ago, and in reality there was no visible lowering right away, or -5mm (at best!) (vs. my factory "Sports Settings" suspension), and at the moment it looks like they are settling towards -10mm. I hope it settles a bit more... I am a bit disappointed with this. Handling is superb though, especially at high speeds.

Have you gone through road bumps/holes at higher speeds? Any bottoming out?

Did you shorten the bump-stops (the yellow foam inserts between shock and shock mount)? With this lowering you should have removed at 2 inches of them, i.e. cut them in half.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

mornin mate....

Na i didn't measure before doing, as a flat surface wasn't local (plus i just wanted to get it done).

I tested it last night on 3 different size speed bumps and it cleared them all, the only caveat being the short tall ones - if i go over too fast I hit the front bump stops. I didn't touch the bumps at all in fairness, i noticed on realoem that the M sport had different stops to mine so knew of a difference. TBH i was just worried about the rubbing (potential) so touched nothing but the springs.

I've got it booked in for the geometry, although i may decide to chuck some cheap coilovers or just get some m sport shocks/springs eventually. Feel like a right bad ass!

Was driving into work this morning, spotted some colleagues so rolled down the windows and chucked some Usher on full blast
Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
Was driving into work this morning, spotted some colleagues so rolled down the windows and chucked some Usher on full blast

Na i didn't measure before doing, as a flat surface wasn't local (plus i just wanted to get it done).
What I do is measure on both sides of the same axle (wheel center to fender top), and then average the two numbers. Not very scientific but I hope unlevel ground is cancelled out that way. Sort of..

if i go over too fast I hit the front bump stops.
Thats what I meant with cutting the bump stops.. Now you'll be hitting them quite often I suspect. Mine were the middle version (shorter than stock), and I still let the mechanics cut them by 3/4 inch. Otherwise the suspension does not have the required travel to work properly. if you're worried about rubbing, this is the wrong way to address it, as you're effectively preventing the suspension to work as intended. There is a huge thread on bump stops here on the forum (I think by Dr. Lev) which I noticed just shortly before leaving my car at the workshop. Otherwise I wouldn't know either.
Anyways, I'm curious to see how it goes over time with daily usage..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

No worries, cheers for the heads up MM - I'll remember that if i change to M's

Question, is the camber fully adjustable front and back? think i may have already asked this but can't rem the answer - I just dont want to get to the place sorting it on Thurs for them to say, theres no way to adjust it
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i 2008 BMW 535xi Touring 2005 Lexus GX470 2000 Audi A4 1.8T

PRETTY Darn low!

How's it ride?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Rides ok tbf.... handles brilliantly, just the odd time i've felt it hit the bump stops on speed humps...

I'm more worried about resale and how it sits, it does look too low on the front, defo!

Think i'm gonna go for the geometry, then try and source some M sports shocks/springs complete - depending MAINLY on what it looks like once i've got the bumpers fitted.

Quick Reply: Finally got it lowered - too far though? :D