E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

feeler: rear E61 lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535 E61 2010

Originally Posted by 6speed
my mechanic has never done it before on his software, so I think I should have it lowered with a tune shop who doesn't have the software. I found a pair from UK and i will see how those go and update.
Just use INPA, it literally takes 2 seconds.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 wagon
Default asap

Originally Posted by norwegianE61
It is for all E61 with rear air suspension.
How much for the lowered links?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

Originally Posted by tonyteam
how can i sett the height of E61 cars? it need inpa or DIS v57?
it possible go down the car for 2cm ?
I think is b/s... It's used only for freight and car gonna get back to normal height after few starts.
Many people saying this story but nobody want to share if is permanent and how to do this to be permanent.
I know inpa and found that option but ended buying $40 parts to do my own links and lower the car. If you want I can provide part numbers from mc master.com
Old 10-16-2014, 04:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

You can do this on INPA so it is permament. I've done it several times now for various reasons.

Benefit is that you can adjust the arch to the floor each side until it is correct and EXACTLY how you want it.

To do this you go into the manual adjustment section of the suspension on INPA. Alter to get it exactly right on both sides, then you have to exit to the previous menu and within seconds open another menu and confirm the settings before it resets. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's a while since I did it last. I remember that he confirmation page was the one which had the 'before' and 'after' stats. You press one of the buttons on that page and a box appears for you to 'ok' - once you press this the new settings are stored.

EDIT: See the first page on my post here http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...tings-t111210/ once you've set the height manually you exit to the main suspension menu and select this screen, then press the button to the left of PRINT and a box will appear, then press ok! You need to practise doing this quickly as once you have set the new height, you need to get to this OK button within a small time limit. (Note: ignore all the figures on this page as they are pretty useless to us and will never match in my experience)

Last edited by 1Animal1; 10-16-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Animal, so you've lowered your front using a sport front suspension, as per your sig? What's that about?

For the rears, when you lowered it, did you notice a difference / improvement in handling?
Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Lotus, yep my car was running SE 'high' riding shocks previously. Sourced some sports shocks complete for less than £100 and swapped over, I also fitted an M sport front ARB to stiffen up the front end.

The rear was then lowered and the car fully tracked.

It now handles with far less roll and generally goes where i point it which didn't happen when using SE spec suspension. I have to admit though, I did this upgrade for looks as I fitted M sport bumpers and liked the whole stance of the M sport model. I may change the rear ARB eventually if I find one cheap enough, it's not something I'm too worried about though, this car isn't designed to be a racer despite it's pace...it'll always be crap in corners when compared to a hot hatch.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Thx. ARB is an Anti-Roll / Anti-Sway bar I take it. Would doing just the front, not throw the car's balance off?

It's funny, last night, I measured the wheel gap on my car while it was parked, and funny enough, the front was higher with 3 finger gap, vs. the rear at 2 finger gap. So I don't understand (assuming others are like that), why you'd lower the rears, as it would throw the looks off IMO, and the fronts need lowering first?
Old 10-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

yes anti roll bar - the differences are so finite especially on the rear, you'd hardly notice...

I don't see what you don't understand? My set up was previously an SE, therefore higher on front and back... I changed the front to sports shocks which are lower (like M sport) which then required me to lower the back to make it look right. I previously lowered the rear to match the front height, but the E61 looks better and is set higher at the back from factory to compensate for acceleration, so I lifted mine a few mm. Looks loads better now...
Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

I wasn't referring to your setup specifically. So many seem to lower their rears, when I'm saying, if mine is anything to go off, the front has 3 finger gap, and the rear 2, so I would never bother lowering the rear anymore than it is without doing the fronts first.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Ah I see what you mean. I think some people prefer a level looking car perhaps? the car as standard is higher at the rear. Rather than placing fingers between the wheel and arch... get a tape measure and measure from the top centre of the arch to the ground for the accurate level

Quick Reply: feeler: rear E61 lowering