E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

False flat tire warning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had this problem in a 530 xit?

What did you do to solve it?

Ours is an '06 with sports pack and premium pack.

Regards,
Dave
Toronto
Old 05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2mnycars' post='888774' date='May 24 2009, 09:29 PM
Have you had this problem in a 530 xit?

What did you do to solve it?

Ours is an '06 with sports pack and premium pack.

Regards,
Dave
Toronto
If you have FTM the following may not apply>

Inflate your tires to the recommended pressures ... use iDrive to reset your TPMS ... drive about one mile for the reset to effect. If it remains you may have a problematic TPMS or one of the antennae has become faulty.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='888792' date='May 24 2009, 09:46 PM
If you have FTM the following may not apply>

Inflate your tires to the recommended pressures ... use iDrive to reset your TPMS ... drive about one mile for the reset to effect. If it remains you may have a problematic TPMS or one of the antennae has become faulty.
Thanks Luigi.

Here's what has happened.

About a month ago I switched wheels/snowtires off.
On a major trip, got flat tire warning. Limped to the closest gas station. Checked pressure--air in all tires. Essentially L=R so quite sure no flat, no low tire pressure. Did a reset. Had to to get the flat tire warning light off.
Made an appointment at the dealers. They wouldn't see me right away (Have check engine light on too.) Went to Cross Auto. Great!!!shop. They read the codes and left them in place. Gave me a printout of screen capture.
Get to the dealers, and subsequently pick up my car. They say no codes...and one tire they said was low. News to me--I had checked them the day before.

Now a couple of days later, the warning light comes on again. So did the check engine light.

Checked pressure; L=R front and rear. Funny thing, the pressure is about 20% less than what the stencil on the driver's side door post says it should be. Did a reset (because I want the tire flat system to give me a warning if I really do have a flat.)

Next appoinment--Friday.

Question--will bmw techs read codes if the check engine light is off, and the tire pressure system is reset?

Should just cage the technician in the back and keep him with me. ;-)

Dave
Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2mnycars' post='890695' date='May 26 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Luigi.

Here's what has happened.

About a month ago I switched wheels/snowtires off.
On a major trip, got flat tire warning. Limped to the closest gas station. Checked pressure--air in all tires. Essentially L=R so quite sure no flat, no low tire pressure. Did a reset. Had to to get the flat tire warning light off.
Made an appointment at the dealers. They wouldn't see me right away (Have check engine light on too.) Went to Cross Auto. Great!!!shop. They read the codes and left them in place. Gave me a printout of screen capture.
Get to the dealers, and subsequently pick up my car. They say no codes...and one tire they said was low. News to me--I had checked them the day before.

Now a couple of days later, the warning light comes on again. So did the check engine light.

Checked pressure; L=R front and rear. Funny thing, the pressure is about 20% less than what the stencil on the driver's side door post says it should be. Did a reset (because I want the tire flat system to give me a warning if I really do have a flat.)

Next appoinment--Friday.

Question--will bmw techs read codes if the check engine light is off, and the tire pressure system is reset?

Should just cage the technician in the back and keep him with me. ;-)

Dave
I had a slow leaking rear tire about a year ago ... whenever that tire dropped ~ 7psi (starting at 40psi) TPMS sounded off. So that is about 20% differential. You should thoroughly inspect that one that was low - inflate to 40psi+ and use a tank with soapy water. I'll bet you have a leaking tire valve or a rim leak or even a puncture that is hard to see without a close close look. Mine was a sealing ring on the TPMS valve that had been overtightened and distorted! All the time I was examining the tire and didn't think to check the tire valve

TPMS is a blessing even if it seems to annoy you when tire pressure is off! At least you won't ruin a tire running it under-inflated.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='890953' date='May 26 2009, 07:41 PM
I had a slow leaking rear tire about a year ago ... whenever that tire dropped ~ 7psi (starting at 40psi) TPMS sounded off. So that is about 20% differential. You should thoroughly inspect that one that was low - inflate to 40psi+ and use a tank with soapy water. I'll bet you have a leaking tire valve or a rim leak or even a puncture that is hard to see without a close close look. Mine was a sealing ring on the TPMS valve that had been overtightened and distorted! All the time I was examining the tire and didn't think to check the tire valve

TPMS is a blessing even if it seems to annoy you when tire pressure is off! At least you won't ruin a tire running it under-inflated.
You're right. Would ruin a rim too.

There was a post of a problem on the Porsche Pete Boxster Board (great site). Guy wrecked a rim and tire hitting a rockfall-rock with his Boxster. He had to walk over 6 miles to get a cell signal. Flatbedded the car out. Took a week to get a rim and tire. Lucky he wasnt hurt! Run flats there too.

DaveL
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Members

BMW has been incredibly generous working to solve the problem. And so has the dealer.

It's not right yet, but I'm confident it will be.

Happy customer.

Dave