E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I suppose the same restriction applies that the bushings can only be replaced once in the arms? I replaced my bushings a year ago with my press at home. Would certainly be interested in monoballs but I guess I'd be purchasing new arms at that point as well.
AFAIK monoballs can be serviced with a proper press, I don't see why it couldn't be done more than once. Monoballs should also last a long time so I don't even know you would need to replace multiple times before the complete arms would be replaced anyway.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

It's the 8 year anniversary of owning my white E61 and it has come a long way, most of the changes are small mechanical/functional details which are not easily seen in photos but here are some Before/After photos showing the transformation.

Moving Forward....

Got my shifter repaired by a local machine shop that tig welded it back together.

Monoball control arms arrived which included: front lower thrust arms, front lower control arms, and rear upper control arm, my rear upper guide arms are already M5 units which are OEM monoballs. So this means all the control arms front and rear are now monoballs.
Here are the front thrust arms:

Pics of the front lower and rear upper arms

My front lower bushings were beyond shot

The wagon also got new M5 front wheel bearings, they are essentially the same as RWD 535i bearings but they have 3 nubs to help locate the M5 rotors.

After the suspension upgrades I had an alignment done and boy, what a difference. Steering is sharp and the suspension feels solid and controlled. Yes, there is slightly more NVH but that is the trade off of monoballs and the upside significantly outweighs the minor downside.

One of my close friends just picked up a new-to-him F10 M5 and came to visit this last weekend. We attended a local Cars & Coffee in San Diego.

Wagons!

Up next is:
- New tie rods, new rear ball joints (steering knuckle/integral link connection), raise the front suspension a bit, and another alignment.
- M5 LSD (3.62) to M3 DCT LSD (3.15) swap. 3.62 makes for "fun" acceleration but gears a bit too short for normal driving so a 3.15 will be a welcomed change. The 3.62 M5 LSD will be fitted with a 2.65 210mm ring/pinion from a manual V12 E31 and this LSD will be used in an upcoming 535D E61 build. 2.65 will be great for the diesel engine and the 210mm diff will be strong enough to handle the 600+wtq

Old 10-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Speaking of the diesel E61 project, I also snagged a set of OEM 437M wheels. Here is a peek.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:02 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i

@ucsbwsr, your pics aren't working because you are hotlinking them to your google account...which requires authentication. So, you may be able to see them, but unless we are logged into your account, we cannot.

Here are the URLs to your pics (I quoted your post above so that I could see their URLs):

Name:  OHY0Ghd.png
Views: 165
Size:  598.6 KB

I suggest using some other host for your images like Flickr or Imgur. I used Imgur for the image I just posted. The URL for the image is simple: https://i.imgur.com/OHY0Ghd.png
The following users liked this post:
norsecarnut (04-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i

Here is what we see:

Name:  BdvJGbB.png
Views: 168
Size:  504.5 KB

I've experienced this on a lot of your posts.

Google might allow the URLs in my post above work for other people who use Chrome (because they are all Google products), but everyone else is S.O.O.L. I've tried using Firefox and Safari and no dice. Using another hosting service and using basic URLs for the images will ensure that everyone can see them.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

so is this topic still alive? very nice build. massive effort in time and money! Will you also start working on 535d?
Old 07-02-2021, 09:17 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61

Mind sharing a link to which harness you purchased? How is the system holding up?

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Purchased the full Hi-Fi harness from Technic, money well spent.

A previous project was to replace the interior carpet, while doing so I took the opportunity to install the subwoofers and run the wiring.

Zip-tied to the oem wiring loom
Old 07-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by irjetsetter
Mind sharing a link to which harness you purchased? How is the system holding up?
The system has been disconnected for years since I borrowed the amp and processor for another wagon and never replaced it. My stereo is a 3.0L inline 6. As for the harness, I don't recall. The build thread says Techinc so I would google that and some BMW + audio terms and if the company is still around it should pop up.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Woah, it's been years since I've updated this ...better get to it!

In general the E61 has been a peach. Over the past 5-6 years it's been making 500+whp and I've only done typical maintenance and some small repairs/refreshes. Last May I moved to Colorado and the plan was to ship the E61, along with my E39 project wagon but logistic companies were a bunch of smoke and mirrors so I ended up loading up the E61 and making the 1,000+mile drive out in one day, pretty rough but got it done! I ended up driving my E70 from CO back to CA to rent a Uhaul trailer and tow the E39 back to CO. I became very familiar i70 running it x4 in a handful of days!

Anyway, lots to get caught up on!

Some ignition system maintenance back in San Diego

Flooring run

Diff swap on the X5 and new o-rings (or hose I forget) on the E61

Decided to eat a belt, perhaps from my oil lines wheeping?

Pulleys and tensioners were due anyway. I did have an audible *wrrrrr* bearing noise at idle from one pulley so it was nice to get that resolved.

Picking up local tortillas for some smoked brisket and seared ahi (local from a buddy) TACOS!!!!

Random interior pic

New rotors and new tie rods

Doggo

OG vinyl wrap on window trim was ready to be replaced

...so I replaced it

Wide angle lens doesn't help the dent in the rear fender look any better, wheels look sick tho!

Thanks FCP Euro!

I have no idea when I last drained them so this is kind of worthless info but left is high-load OCC and right is low-load.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Replaced the 245/40/19 with a 255/40/19

Test fitting OEM 343M F12 fitment

Actually fitted

OOOF!

I had to get that rear fitment dialed.

There we go

I am a sucker for 5 (split) spoke designs!

Wagon love!

Finally got Swisstrax down in the SD house, juuuuuust in time for us to move to Colorado. Hope the renters like it!

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All