E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Install Error: Noticed the silicone elbow on my IC getting rubbed by a mounting tab on the subframe. There wasn't a hole but silicone was compromised so it was replaced. If it continues with engine movement the tab will be removed, I didn't like it anyway.

With my new slightly taller shifter setup I would smack my phone from time to time while rowing gears so I came up with a different solution. Not ideal as it is now lower but I mainly use the app for checking temps and datalogging so no real concerns. It does clean up the center stack a bit which is nice and access to HVAC is unobstructed but most importantly, room to shift.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xiT, 16 c300, 05 SLK350
Model Year: .
Engine: .

Dang...it just didn't seem right for your post to be on any page other than the first page, lol
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33

Damn do I love this wagon.

In order to sway me from an E39, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list/a write-up you followed for the AWD->RWD and the auto->manual by chance, would ya?
Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy
Damn do I love this wagon.

In order to sway me from an E39, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list/a write-up you followed for the AWD->RWD and the auto->manual by chance, would ya?
Funny, I just picked up a E39 Touring for a cheap daily. Both are great.

For the conversions all of my info is in this thread. There some other guides for the MT swap online, check N54Tech and E90post. Some of those have the parts lists.

If you are serious about tackling the projects then there is going to be some research needed on your end otherwise "you're gunna have a bad time." I recommend getting a Bentley manual, and familiarizing yourself with TIS and RealOEM online. Wiring diagrams and parts diagrams offer the info you need so learning how to navigate those resources and read the diagrams is critical.

The Bentley manual wasn't 100% on everything so good to supplement it with the TIS documents.

Evan
Old 09-08-2017, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Funny, I just picked up a E39 Touring for a cheap daily. Both are great.

For the conversions all of my info is in this thread. There some other guides for the MT swap online, check N54Tech and E90post. Some of those have the parts lists.

If you are serious about tackling the projects then there is going to be some research needed on your end otherwise "you're gunna have a bad time." I recommend getting a Bentley manual, and familiarizing yourself with TIS and RealOEM online. Wiring diagrams and parts diagrams offer the info you need so learning how to navigate those resources and read the diagrams is critical.

The Bentley manual wasn't 100% on everything so good to supplement it with the TIS documents.

Evan
Damn that was a quick response. Thanks for the tips as well as the websites; bookmarking those along with everything else I have so far. Will have to grab the Bentley manual at some point as well.

More or less entertaining the idea for a future project, but trying to gather as much info as possible beforehand.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi wagon

Originally Posted by oclvframe
Evan, a quick/cheap bluetooth hack ( assuming you want to stream audio to the aux in without having to plug any cables in):

Get a cheap bluetooth usb audio adapter like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just put it into a spare usb power plug, then run an aux cable between it and your aux in. It mates tot he phone when you crank up and allows easy streaming for music only (no phone calls).

Not sure if this is a need for you but I keep one in my wagon....works dang well!

-r
You might also consider this if you have iDrive
Amazon Amazon
Coolstream will place the track titles on your screen..
Old 11-04-2017, 11:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 E46/3 M56 w/ ZCP, ZPP, ZSP, Nav, TV, Reverse camera, City lights, Rear Fogs, Euro Taillamps.

Finally took th3 time to find and read this thread. Had seen pics on google images, other websites, etc.

Very much enjoyed reading about about your experiences and the lovely photography and vehicle that you’ve created.
Enough so that I joined just to say so!

Thanks again for the inspiration and detailed tear downs.

With my recent surprise addition to the family, I may have to upsize from my e46/3 I just downsized to 18 months ago, lol.
Apparently a teen and a middle schooler are ok, but add an infant to the mix and it makes me miss the back seat real estate of my old e34/2
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Hi Evan,
I didn't see a reference to the front subframe in the thread - it seems as though you left the AWD subframe (and front knuckles/hubs/etc) in place? It's unclear if the 2WD SF is even needed. It looks as though you left the front as is with no issue - just pull the front half shafts.

I just hit a chuck of stone that fell out of a truck that took out my oil pan in my 07 530xiT, and I'm considering making it 2WD since I need a new pan anyway (already got the 6MT part covered!). Starting the research to see what all is involved.

Thanks for the posts - they've been quite helpful already!

Andy
07 530xiT 6MT
Old 11-20-2017, 06:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61

Evan amazing build! Did you ever try the forgestar F14 SDC on the stock fenders? how much wider are the m5?

im really hoping i can just roll my oem fenders to fit SDC

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
There has been some solid progress on the wagon over the past couple weeks, a few minor setbacks but overall things are progressing nicely.

- DSC wiring and coding issues have been fixed and system is now fully integrated and functional, all error codes have been resolved. (Wiring and Coding)
:burnrubber:

- Brake Lights now work (Wiring)

- Reverse Lights now work (Wiring)

- EOS port injection manifold is hooked up and working properly

- Custom Quad Projector Headlights are complete

I am BETA testing the new iOS JB4 Mobile which has some new features regarding ethanol content, a virtual ethanol sensor, and E content integration into port injection aglrithm via the JB4 PI controller. Pretty slick but my read outs seem to be a bit low vs what I think my actual content, I need to either test the actual E content of the ethanol, revert my E sensor connections so I can get content without any virtual sensor offset, or figure out what is causing the misread of my content.

I need to do this before I can really get the tuning (JB4 settings) dialed in. As it is the wagon is targeting 23psi and things look good although my LPFP is nearly out of pressure. Custom dual in tank LPFP setup is on the To Do list. Currently I am pretty happy with the performance of the wagon, it essentially puts all the power down in a straight line with a couple tire chirps here and there. I don't see myself pushing the motor much beyond where I am, perhaps up the boost a few psi once the fuel system is addressed.

Had a nasty surprise when I came out to the garage to find my shelving unit broke which sent a 15" loudspeaker and audio receiver crashing down into the passenger door and fender. I got luck as all of it except for a small dent buffed out, it could have been way worse. No big deal really as my exterior has imperfections from being a daily driver and these were just added to the collection.

Checking on LMA wiring

Turns out I wired the reverse switch from the trans (RED WIRE) into LMA pin 18 instead of 13, reverse lights and PDC now work.

Yes, I have a light bar for reversing
Yes, it is awesome.
No, it is not hooked up on a switch to blind people, it is wired in with oem functionality.

Referencing TIS online, Bentely manual, and my chicken scratch to isolate the DSC wiring issues

Back in for the DSC module

There were 3 sets of identical wires, 2 twisted pairs and 1 individual wires (marked with blue tape). One pair I had in the wrong location which resolved the brake light issue. When I swapped the other twisted pair (one was PT CAN) the car threw more errors and flipped the windshield wipers on permanently, lol clearly I had it right the first time.

After a few remote coding sessions @Levan-i was able to resolve my coding issue for me, he was instrumental in getting this resolved and I can't thank him enough for his time and effort. NO MORE ERROR CODES!

No more dash light!

Checked out a local BMWCCA San Diego Chapter event. BMWs, brats, girlfriend, dog, and the San Diego bay ....good day.

Getting lost

Last pic with the "unfinished" headlights

Finished up my custom headlights the night before Bimmerfest

They look "cool" but these things are all about output: sharp WIDE low beam with great control and a large high beam with great intensity.

Lasers
Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT, 16 c300, 05 SLK350
Model Year: .
Engine: .

Originally Posted by Triet Nguyen
Evan amazing build! Did you ever try the forgestar F14 SDC on the stock fenders? how much wider are the m5?

im really hoping i can just roll my oem fenders to fit SDC

"...M5 fenders which are 10+mm wider each side."

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All