E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Since long term reliability is a big focus of mine with this build the RB Low-Load PCV was high on the priority list.

I have had very pleasant experiences working with Rob so far, he has allowed me to purchase some items a la carte and in this instance when I was getting ready to order the external PCV kit he reminded me that I have the EOS manifold which has some npt ports which can be used as the vac source and replace the throttle body fitting which is standard equipment in the kit and consequently, lower the price. I really appreciate transparency like that.

I decided not to plug the head at this time, I might do that later.

Mishimoto OCC and the necessary RB goodies. I opted to use Vibrant heater hose so it would match the other hoses in my engine bay. #details

I used some small stainless steel hardware I had on hand to mount the OCC to the plastic partition between the engine bay and the area where the master cylinder resides.

Mounted

Real tight fit but no major contact. My AN fitting for the Tial has seen better days...

Real tight fit with all the hoses at the back of the valve cover so I had to make some room

Preventative modifications FTW

Nice and tucked away

CLEAN!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, 2001 325ciC, 1989 325iC
Model Year: 2006

Evan- dumb question, but what host do you use for photos?

Work blocks photobucket so I can't even see my own photos but yours show up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
Evan- dumb question, but what host do you use for photos?

Work blocks photobucket so I can't even see my own photos but yours show up.

Thanks in advance.
Most are with Google Photos although I did a short stint with Imgur.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:54 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5
Model Year: 2003

Any update on the stereo install or a review of what you've done?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, 2001 325ciC, 1989 325iC
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Most are with Google Photos although I did a short stint with Imgur.
Thanks.

I can't figure out how to get the image links now that I added photos via google images. Does not work like photobucket. At least I know it is possible.

Sorry for the interruption.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by timmay77
Any update on the stereo install or a review of what you've done?
The stereo is installed but not setup properly. I am running:
- BSW drop in speakers
- Earthquake shallow 8" subs
- JBL MS8 (hasn't imploded yet)
- JBL A5001
- CLD Tiles and ducting insulation in the rear around the spare tire well.

I was having some poor sound quality when the H/U was the source for the MS8, currently I am using the MS8's aux input and sound quality is 100% but it drives me crazy not having the steering wheel controls.

The imaging of the MS8 is great but system really needs a proper subwoofer. The 8" woofers would be better served pumping out some mid range but I don't know how well that would work given their location under the seats. Currently the system is lots of treble and bass, not much mid range punch.

It is possible to build a custom fiberglass enclosure for an 8 or low volume 10" in the rear cargo area either above the battery or the storage cubby on the other side but more work than I am willing to do at this point. The spare tire well is also an option but that is where I decided to mount my amp and processor.

I am a big bass head at heart but am not willing to sacrifice the cargo area of the wagon so the drop-in solutions seemed like the best bang for my buck, hopefully some more tuning will get the sound more balanced and I find a solution for getting a high quality signal from the stock H/U. I don't recall exactly what the issue was since I haven't given it any serious consideration in almost 2 years. lol Time flies when you have a garage build which lasts 12+ months.

BTW, I had the base Hi-Fi system so small factory amp and no rear door speakers.

Evan
Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

With all the AWD and AT rubbish out I threw my wagon back on a scale, local recycling spot let me hop on free of charge. With a 1/2 tank of gas, full interior, no driver, and no bumper
4,000lbs on the dot.

While waiting to get my wagon smogged I snapped this pic, I lost an "N" Kook of the Day...

With the wagon registered it was time for a custom plate, here were some of the candidates.

...and the winner. I was going to go with "NOT A M5" but it was taken 24 hours after it was available and I shared this pic on social media, we will see how swooped it!

Decided to head to Mexico for some 60-130 pulls to find a baseline for the wagon on pump gas and JB4 Map 5. The wagon feels pretty peppy below 100mph but the lack of grunt is really obvious in the triple digits, I am sure this is amplified since I am used to driving the 6466 335xi @26psi which really shines at high speed pulls. Either way good to have some data and a reference point.

Bumper is going back on

For those E6X guys with hot-side inlets of single turbo dreams you would be interested to know you can get ducting from an M5 to direct air to the passenger side. I need to get an RPI/AFE style scoop but I REFUSE to pay $100 for a piece of metal so I might fab something up if I can't find a deal.

Down the road I will retrofit rear seat heaters so I snagged a switch panel off eBay. I replaced the small "Aux" panel with the "Aux" and "USB" panel which originally resided in my center console. I am behind the curve and still use a 3.5mm aux in for the stereo, it bugs me the writing isn't upright but having an additional USB port in the car is more important, Function>Form.
eBay Panel

Before

After

I was going to donate my blown block to local N54 enthusiasts who wanted it but after a few flakes I got impatient, took the block to a local metal recycler and got a whopping $8.75 for it. $8.75 covered my gas to the dump and was much better than dealing with flaky people who didn't respect my time and generosity.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Evan, a quick/cheap bluetooth hack ( assuming you want to stream audio to the aux in without having to plug any cables in):

Get a cheap bluetooth usb audio adapter like:
Amazon Amazon
and just put it into a spare usb power plug, then run an aux cable between it and your aux in. It mates tot he phone when you crank up and allows easy streaming for music only (no phone calls).

Not sure if this is a need for you but I keep one in my wagon....works dang well!

-r
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E61FUN
I respect your time and generosity creating and maintaining this epic thread!

I'll bring ya more beer soon!
Happy to share the build, also happy to taste quality beer.
Originally Posted by oclvframe
Evan, a quick/cheap bluetooth hack ( assuming you want to stream audio to the aux in without having to plug any cables in):

Get a cheap bluetooth usb audio adapter like: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just put it into a spare usb power plug, then run an aux cable between it and your aux in. It mates tot he phone when you crank up and allows easy streaming for music only (no phone calls).

Not sure if this is a need for you but I keep one in my wagon....works dang well!

-r
Good looking out. I actually have one of these which is waiting to go in, just haven't installed it yet. Hoping for no downgrade in sound quality when making the jump to BT.

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...2-vdc--320-351
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Happy to share the build, also happy to taste quality beer.

Good looking out. I actually have one of these which is waiting to go in, just haven't installed it yet. Hoping for no downgrade in sound quality when making the jump to BT.

https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...2-vdc--320-351
My ears are not offended by what i hear via the BT.....you'll have to let me know your thoughts once you plug one in....i just love not having to plug any audio cables in since I have a life proof case on my iPhone and plugging audio in is a little bit of a PIA!

-r

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All