E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Continued to clean up the engine bay, removed the sway bar brackets and unbolted the steering rack to clean and inspect everything.

Sway bar bushings look to be in excellent condition, they only have 30k on them.

The crank pulley/harmonic balancer had a slight wobble to it.
Tilted backwards

Tilted forwards

I swapped on my old crank pulley to confirm the wobble wasn't from the pulley itself, and it wasn't.

I noticed that the 535xi pulley was noticeably larger and heavier than the 335is.

Pulleys are the same diameter

Cleaning and inspecting turbos

I have done some inspection and reached out to turbo experts to pick their brain and I decided the turbos are likely undamaged and good to go back in.

There was an oil pan bolt which broke off into the block

Prepped work area

Screw extractor and the broken bolt

Tested the hole (and others near the impact site.

Seemed like a good time to inspect subframe bushings and replace if needed, surprisingly they look great, no chunks or major cracks, only some hairline cracks on opposing sides, what appear to me as very minimal wear.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e30

Epic.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: na

What a time to be alive.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Alpine003
Epic.
+1

Beautiful dog BTW.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

Bought a manual M5 steering wheel to replace my SMG unit with those silly paddle things. eBay find from a M5 with 72k, it was pretty dirty but cleaned up well.

Even though my E61 is more M5 than 535xi, I don't feel there is any need to have those "M" badges sprinkled throughout the car so, just as with my previous M5 wheel, I will run it with the non-M trim. I also happen to think it looks better.

I also snagged the rear aux panel from the center console, mine only had cigarette outlets so the aux input was a welcomed addition. The panel is also prepped for rear seat heater buttons which is nice since I plan to retrofit those down the road. My car was interestingly optioned with the ski pass and heated steering wheel but no "cold weather package" and ultimately no heated rear seats.

Evan

BEFORE

BEFORE/AFTER

AFTER

Aux Panel
Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Here is one of the "detail" mods I finally got around to installing. I purchased a rear door handle insert for my driver door which functionally is a key-hole delete. It worked out as I had hoped, there was no fitment issues and the actual locking cylinder didn't need to be removed, the cover simply sat on top of it.

CLEAN!

Evan

Before

After

Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wow, anything you do is top notch! What was your procedure on the steering wheel? For both the leather, and the stitching? I need to do my M wheel...
Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

nice-clean look, but if your battery totally drains, is there a way for you to unlock the car??
Old 05-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wow, anything you do is top notch! What was your procedure on the steering wheel? For both the leather, and the stitching? I need to do my M wheel...
Thanks.

Chemical Bros cleaner, soft toothbrush, horsehair brush, microfiber towel.

Best to remove wheel prior to cleaning. I start with the stitching and use the toothbrush. Working in segments wet bristles and stitching and agitate until there is dirty looking foam, wipe clean with towel, inspect, repeat. After stitching is all done I use the horsehair brush with on the rest of the wheel with the same technique. You may need to use the toothbrush around the thumb rest area as space can be tight for the HH brush. One this wheel after segments are done I did another pass on the entire wheel.

If you use conditioner use it VERY SPARINGLY on the wheel and wipe it off thoroughly, the wheel can benefit from some hydration and protection but it isn't worth having a slick wheel. Although I have applied conditioner in the past, on this one I used no conditioner.
Originally Posted by pocholin
nice-clean look, but if your battery totally drains, is there a way for you to unlock the car??
Although it is possible for that to happen I am not too worried about it. AAA would be my backup.

Evan
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All