E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by stormhammer
Curious - back to the M5 brakes and the staggered setup - at the time was there any concerns about tire sizes causing issue with the AWD system?
You have to keep the rolling diameter within 1% front-rear. I have heard of people disregarding this with staggered setups but I prefer to follow it even though it makes dialing in fitment very challenging.

Evan
Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

I took a break from coding as my battery voltage was dropping below 12v even with support so I ordered a new battery and am picking it up today. I will install, code the battery, and continue poking around with the DSC coding.

In the meantime I replaced my broken rear axle. First I ordered a used axle off ebay that had VERY damaged threads and was unsalvageable, the seller gave me a full refund and I ordered another axle from a local dismantler. Unfortunately the 2nd axle also had thread damage and I was again refunded my money. Since the damaged axles had to core value to the sellers I was instructed to keep both with worked out well as I was able to have a local axle shop recut the threads on the second axle and in the end was able to repair my broken drivetrain for $25!

VGSG module was also removed.

Evan

Whoops!

California Axle Supply in Huntington Beach has a lot of axles

After threads were recut and splines cleaned

Installed, you can see the weeping grease from my old axle.

Same thing on the passenger side.

VGSG module

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's GONE!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E61FUN
What battery did you get?
Duracell
Old 01-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Good day for the wagon:

- Module "safety"
- 6AT Mechatronics sleeve and seal
- Trans flush and reflash
- Rear differential flush
- New front tires + Tredwear

Level for the fluid flushes

I decided to implement some cheap insurance and drill a drain hole to protect the modules. 3/16" bit

There it is

From the outside

Spare tire is out and audio is in, JBL MS8 for the interior speakers (BSW) and MSA500-1 for the subs.

At some point I will get around to fabricating a dummy-floor to cover the wiring.

Going in for trans work

Everything is more difficult on x-drives, although my car operates as RWD, the transfer case is still installed and RIGHT in the way.

Mechatronics sleeve and connector, I had to pull the transmission mount and tilt the whole unit down to get access.

Bottom of the 6AT after the mechatronics was removed.

Old and New sleeve (old was in good shape)

Old and New mechatronics adapter

Cleaning oil pan/filter

Can you tell which magnet was cleaned?

Getting trans fluid to operating temp for level check

Old fluid: ATF, ATF, Rear Diff

New fluids

Old tires (V12 Evo 1)

New Rubbah!

Installing new TredWear decals. I can't stress the importance of proper prep and installation. It takes me ~3 hours to do 2 tires (4 decals). Lots of work but lots of reward IMO.

Proper glue distribution. Not too much, not too little, all the way to the edges

Before

...aaaaaaaand we're back!

:lightbulb:
Old 01-22-2016, 11:27 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535 M-Sport
Model Year: 2010

I love your thread, Evan. I'm looking to get into some of the coding on my E61, specifically doing the SAT flash, Aplina management, and eventually a mechatronics rebuild. If you don't mind my asking, what software are you using? How did you procure it?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

sweet! Your tires look great BTW, it is worth the time you spend on them as well!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sterile stork
I love your thread, Evan. I'm looking to get into some of the coding on my E61, specifically doing the SAT flash, Aplina management, and eventually a mechatronics rebuild. If you don't mind my asking, what software are you using? How did you procure it?
I am not exactly sure what you mean with the "Alpina management" but if you are referring to the Alpina TCU flash (just like the SAT flash) it does not work with our E6X cars, the SAT is the only upgraded/alternative flash I am aware of.

I run the SAT flash (7601458) flashed with WinKFP.

Evab
Old 01-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Preview of one of the new projects...

M5 LSD
M5 Driveshaft
M5 Axles
MFactory Solid Diff Bushings

Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: E39 540iT ...S62

I saw you on the freeway today. I was in the (very dirty) grey Audi A6 avant. I gave you a thumbs up, and you threw one back. That was cool. I'm huge fan of this thread, and your car of course. I was actually on the fence between an A6 avant 3.0T and an e61 touring. I searched for 6 months for the right one (a6 or 535) before I finally bought one.
This thread makes me question my decision all the time.
Keep up the good work, I'm always stoked when I get the email that your thread's been updated
Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jasonscott77
I saw you on the freeway today. I was in the (very dirty) grey Audi A6 avant. I gave you a thumbs up, and you threw one back. That was cool. I'm huge fan of this thread, and your car of course. I was actually on the fence between an A6 avant 3.0T and an e61 touring. I searched for 6 months for the right one (a6 or 535) before I finally bought one.
This thread makes me question my decision all the time.
Keep up the good work, I'm always stoked when I get the email that your thread's been updated
Thanks for the kind words. Funny, I missed your thumbs up but gave you one for your ride! Mutual wagon respect is strong!

I strongly considered the late model A6 avant with the supercharged V6. I think the A6 has better aesthetics out of the box (E61 needs to be modded to look proper) and the 3.0T was a promising engine option. The problem was justifying the price over the E61, at the time the 2010 avants were in the very low $30,000 range and I snagged my 2008 E61 for $22,000. In the end I am happy with the E61 and especially the N54 engine.

Since this is my own thread I reserve the right to get off topic...

Do you have any mods planned for it?

Evan

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All