E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
M-Sport has the thumb rests which I really like and find myself missing with spirited driving, it may also be a tad thicker than the sport wheel which I think is a bit thicker than non-sport. So it is both aesthetics and performance.
Where your thumb rests to me it looks no different. The width of the wheel also seems the same, but rather, above where your thumb rests, there's the part that bulges out and is thicker.

Here is mine, after I did the CF wrap on them (stupid rubber coating was peeling off): https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...l-trim-139542/
Attached Thumbnails Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_2129.jpg   Evan's  E61 Build:  Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All-img_2130.jpg  

Last edited by Lotus99; 04-06-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Creative heating apparatus you made there, lol. If it works, it works!

Those bulges are commonly referred to as thumb rests even though they are technically above where most of the thumb contact the wheel. I heard somewhere the M-sport is thicker but can't confirm as I only have had non sport and regular sport, do you have a micrometer to measure your wheel?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Creative heating apparatus you made there, lol. If it works, it works!

Those bulges are commonly referred to as thumb rests even though they are technically above where most of the thumb contact the wheel. I heard somewhere the M-sport is thicker but can't confirm as I only have had non sport and regular sport, do you have a micrometer to measure your wheel?
You should have seen my heating apparatus for when I applied vinyl tint to my rear tail lamps on my 335... I needed a 3rd hand to hold the hair dryer, as you need both hands to stretch the vinyl as it heats. So in lieu of that, I made up a mouth piece so I could hold the hair dryer in my mouth while I stretched the vinyl! LOL.

Do you want me to measure the thickness of the leather itself, or just the circumference of the wheel? On the M3, the wheel circumference you grip is thicker than the regular 3's wheel, and that's what I thought you were getting at.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Lotus99
You should have seen my heating apparatus for when I applied vinyl tint to my rear tail lamps on my 335... I needed a 3rd hand to hold the hair dryer, as you need both hands to stretch the vinyl as it heats. So in lieu of that, I made up a mouth piece so I could hold the hair dryer in my mouth while I stretched the vinyl! LOL.

Do you want me to measure the thickness of the leather itself, or just the circumference of the wheel? On the M3, the wheel circumference you grip is thicker than the regular 3's wheel, and that's what I thought you were getting at.
Having held both wheels (m-sport and sport) right after one another in an A/B testing format, I can tell you that their circumferences are very similar. However, the overall shape of the wheel is different for the M-sport. It seems to be more oblong/oval versus the rounded shape of the regular sport. That and the "thumb rests" are the only major differences.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
It isn't necessary but it would help us collect some data on the differences between the two (if there are any) for our own knowledge and others.

Originally Posted by Abenlog
Having held both wheels (m-sport and sport) right after one another in an A/B testing format, I can tell you that their circumferences are very similar. However, the overall shape of the wheel is different for the M-sport. It seems to be more oblong/oval versus the rounded shape of the regular sport. That and the "thumb rests" are the only major differences.
This sounds right.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:54 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI

It isn't necessary but it would help us collect some data on the differences between the two (if there are any) for our own knowledge and others.

I just took some calipers to my 2010 e61 M-sport wheel with the thumbrests:

The depth, as measured along the axis of the wheel from the front to the back, is approximately 1.5"
The width, measured radially, is approximately 1.2"

What are the measurements on your non-Msport wheel? I'm considering retrofitting a paddle shift wheel as part of the SAT retrofit, but I'm finding only standard wheels, and I really like the feel of the Msport wheel.

Last edited by GTYellowJacket; 04-12-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

I have 36mm deep and 32mm (excluding inner threads) width.

I used millimeters as it is ze German way!

Evan
Old 04-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Big couple days for the wagonator.

New Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP
New HPFP
New BMS JB4 Firmware and E85 Backend
Valve Cleaning
Engine Bay Aesthetics

Fuel It install

New vs Old HPFP

More Corn! Currently running ~E50 blend (11 gallons in 18.5 tank)

Australian Shepards are ALWAYS in the way.

Charge Pipe, Throttle Body, Manifold, and HPFP removed.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...o/IMG_7192.JPG

Ugly plastic brake-booster line. If you have a DCI you understand how ugly and annoying this is. I cut the fitting out and can some PCV hose.

I also cut the rear intake tube so I could position the 3-6 intake filter back further and expose the BOV.

Much better
Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Gah, debating if i should trade in my E60 sedan 525xi for a Xi E61 (hoping that if i get coilovers they would carry over) I got about 6k still left to pay for the E60.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:12 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Default Coilovers

Originally Posted by Kasmo
Gah, debating if i should trade in my E60 sedan 525xi for a Xi E61 (hoping that if i get coilovers they would carry over) I got about 6k still left to pay for the E60.
Be careful if you expect to carry them over. At least with the most common KW's, the part number for the e61 is very specific

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All