E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Engine failure & no auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Well guys, it's time again.

After the progman update two weeks ago I noticed that the "coughes" from the engine where more rare but much harsher when they eventually happend. I rang the Service Manager yesterday to discuss what to do, but we both concluded that since there is no new update there was not much to do but to soldier on.

A totally erroneous conclusion as it turned out to be...

Today, while travelling to work, I was exiting the tunnel under the Oresund when I noticed that the auto stoped being an auto. It just refused to change gear, unless I used the paddles. Not other warnings on the display as I somewhat confused continued to drive. After as couple of minutes, a BOING was heard, and the car computer told me that the engine contemplated suicide or something, anyway it wasn't interesting in taking me to work, that's for sure! Luckily I could stop where I was, switched the ignition off and started again. No Engine Failure with reduced performance, so I continued. Same again. Stopped... Started again and could actually drive the whole way to work (some 15 kms).

I've agreed with BMW Mobile Care to give it a go and later today take the car myself to the dealer - so wish me luck! The Copenhagen traffic is not famous for being gentle and understanding...

Also, a soon as the news broke to the Service Manager I rang me and expressed his.. well, "condolences" almost. It doesn't solve the problem but at least it feel a little better inside...

Darn, I should have taken pictures of all the loaners I have had since I got the car in July 2007 - could be a good base for a exhibition. And a postcard to some Herr Doktor in at the HQ in Munich... :thumbsdown:
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Sorry to hear about all your problems with the car
Keep my fingers crossed that it will end after this time

//M
Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributors

If there was a Lemon Law in Sweden you certainly would be a recipient ??

http://www.lemonlawsusa.com/
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

N, three times was enough for me .............Now I'm waiting for a new car. You are driving a very dangerous car, stalling around a corner with oncoming traffic or on a very busy freeway is deadly !!! Plan your attack and be firm and professional. Nothing to lose. Good Luck and BTW Sorry does'nt cut it !!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='533693' date='Feb 20 2008, 11:03 PM
N, three times was enough for me .............Now I'm waiting for a new car. You are driving a very dangerous car, stalling around a corner with oncoming traffic or on a very busy freeway is deadly !!! Plan your attack and be firm and professional. Nothing to lose.
Westcoast, how much do you reckon you got as a compensation when you ordered the 550i? I have started a process with my dealer about this, but at this stage they of course first want to se whether the upgrade/repair will solve the problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='534410' date='Feb 22 2008, 04:10 AM
Westcoast, how much do you reckon you got as a compensation when you ordered the 550i? I have started a process with my dealer about this, but at this stage they of course first want to se whether the upgrade/repair will solve the problem.
PM sent
Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Subaru Forester 2.0 X

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='534410' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:10 AM
I don't see why the repairmen have so much trust in sw updates. If it is a software error it should be repeatable. In your case there must be a mecanical problem. This is plain old computer knowledge.
On the other hand, I understand why they suggest yet another sw update again and again, just to keep you away from them. Call Sverker
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Hm, I'm getting more and more concerned about this.

First failure caused by a exhaust valve called EGR, second failure caused by a valve called EGR - car's control unit also changed, and now third failure caused by.... nope, but close: lambda sonds. Both of them (I thought I only had one!) are on rest order and will turn up from M?nchen some day.

I tried to explain to my dealer that I think they are not looking in the right places; with three major failures within 7 months and they are all exhaust-related I said that the fault must lie somewhere before that area, hence giving the dealer a hint they are fixing symptoms not problems. But they don't agree.

So, now I have to wait x numbers of days until my car is back, and then I will drive around with a car that I don't think is properly fixed. Nice.

If there is a fourth time it will be a new dealer that get's the car. If I can drive it that far...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Subaru Forester 2.0 X

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='536731' date='Feb 27 2008, 07:00 PM
Hm, I'm getting more and more concerned about this.

If there is a fourth time it will be a new dealer that get's the car. If I can drive it that far...
Actually, according to our consumer laws, the seller have three times to fix a problem, otherwise you can cancel the buy, "H?va k?pet" and buy yourself another car. Further on they should always give you money for petrol, loss of income etc etc when you are returning the car to the shop.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kave' post='537116' date='Feb 28 2008, 08:08 AM
Actually, according to our consumer laws, the seller have three times to fix a problem, otherwise you can cancel the buy, "H?va k?pet" and buy yourself another car. Further on they should always give you money for petrol, loss of income etc etc when you are returning the car to the shop.
Yup, but the problem for me is to prove it's the same problem. Following the Truth According To BMW I have had three different problems in 7 months, which they of course regret. The fact that I have had som many problems in so short a time cause some concerns at the dealer, but apart from being sorry and understanding how I feel, that's as far as the go for time being. Yes, I could make a big scene of it and probably get a new car at a heavily discounted price, but the problem is ...I like my car! I waited 6 months after ordering it, and it took me three years to be able to buy such an expensive car so I refuse to give up!

But, if there's a fourth breakdown within a short time things will definitely be .....different.

Quick Reply: Engine failure & no auto