E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Miata Starion Forester
Default E61 worth it?

Hey folks - I'm a noob and lurker here. Lately I've been changing pace in life ( settling down, getting engaged etc ) so the toys are going and I'm wanting a reliable wagon. Here's my dilemma.

E61 or an E91. We won't even touch a manual vs auto debate ( s/o would prefer I get an auto - some days I agree, esp on long road trips )

Cargo capacity, and N54 engine aside, why should I nab an E61?

Before you ask, yes I plan on modifying it - mostly for handling, less for straight line.

Input is much appreciated!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

The driver to me should be how much space you need for passengers and cargo. E61 is obviously got more luxuries in it than a 3 series. It'll be bigger and weighs more, if handling is a concern. Its handling is great for its size, don't get me wrong.

For us, it wasn't an option even to look at a 3 series, because I have two kids under 10, plus a dog.

So I looked at luxury wagons in the size range of the 5 wagon. Like the XC70 we came out of, and an MB E wagon.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
New Members

Handling it's that large of a concern. It's not like I'm going to expect it to handle like a Miata ( my current DD is an 08 lowered on Ohlin Road&Track coilvoers ). Hell, I could make my old Crown Vic do some terrifyingly incredible things through corners as long as I got the weight transferring right

Out of curiousity, when lowering an E61 via springs and the air suspension, does it handle worse? Or would I be needing to hunt down the lowering links to make it better? Or, at the end of the day, might as well go full coilovers ( does that involve removing the entire air suspension system, compressor and all? )
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

All I can say is the E61 works for me. I've had an 04 Audi allroad, two 06 A6 Avants, and my wife drives an 04 E320 wagon (We love wagons) The 535Xi is a thrill to drive. Coilovers will tame the body roll.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
New Members

How do you guys feel about the longevity of the steptronic ( if I recall right, thats what it is on the 535xi auto ) transmission? E.g. it is fragile ( I haven't been able to find anything pointing one direction or the other )
Old 04-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Members

Likewise here, owned and Audi allroad (C5) and Audi A4 (B6). With 2 kids the E61 is by far my favourite wagon.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
New Members

Hmm - I'm sold While I don't have kids ( yet ), I do love me big cars that can scoot! AWD would likely come handy for any of my trips up north to Ohio or Canada ( I have lots of relatives up there ).

I may be lurking for a good while, I want to sell my 08 Miata GT and possibly my 88 Mitsubishi Starion as well before grabbing one.

Last edited by stormhammer; 04-08-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Members

Good stuff. I'm sure you know this, but if you tune the engine, you can easily get around 375 HP. Look into the Cobb Accessport.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:08 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Glowin
Good stuff. I'm sure you know this, but if you tune the engine, you can easily get around 375 HP. Look into the Cobb Accessport.
I have, along with the JB4 - I do like how more convenient the Cobb is in terms of map choosing through. Also upgrading to a sport auto shifter + coding it should add a little bit more fun The idea is springs/rear air lowering first, Cobb/JB4, SAT mod, front strut/rear sway bar upgrade, aero, wheels ( Volks TE37s? ) and then coilovers. I believe TEIN makes them for our cars as well with the EDFC system.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
New Members

Broken Control arms
Leaking mechatronics sleave
Radiator replaced
Water pump replaced

Almost $3k in 2 years of ownership. If you get an E61 get an extended warranty or you will regret this wonder of german engineering.

Quick Reply: E61 worth it?