E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Wheels (again, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I can't belive that this hasn't been asked before but I have not been able to find the answer from searches (and I have read alot of posts!!). My experience is with BMW UK.

I am looking to replace my E39 530d sport with an E61 and have found the same wheel size issues - only worse.

BMW do not approve rear wheels wider than 8" on either model, no-one can tell me why. Dealers (who also emailed BMW for me to no avail) say it is because of self levelling/clearance etc., all untrue as they clearly fit.

I fitted 18 x 8 all round in the end to my E39 as I didn't want to screw the warranty.
I can only assume it is something to do with handling, but if so, why wont they just say so? Alpina, AC et al fit bigger wheels quite happily and these are sold through dealers...

On the impending E61 (my first ever car built to order) I am keen to dispose of the runflats. I like a hard ride but there are limits!

Forums report problems fitting standard tyres to RF rims so new wheels then. There are no BMW 18" non Rf rims for an E61, and the way out on a saloon is to have the factory fit 19s (which ride better than 18" RF incidentally). BMW will not however offer any 19" rims for a tourer, although I am told they did initially. AC etc are fitting 20s.

I fancy the 128 spoke, 5 blade - The best looking wheel that doesn't have to be cleaned with a toothbrush - and I have seen these on tourers at dealers.

Can anyone shed any light?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:46 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My dealer says there is no problem fitting non RF's to RF rims.

IMHO pick the wheels you like and if it comes with RF's change them as soon as they wear down to 3mm.

( About 13000 mls)
Old 12-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I had a look at the type certificate of a E61 last night and here in Sweden is it typed with 10,5x20" ET30 as optional wheels on the rear. So as long as you have control of the ET is shuld not be any problems with even 20" and they will even be legal!

Non-RFT can be fitted on RFT rims, but not the opposite.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Thanks guys.

If non-RFs will fit the wheels then that would make life alot easier. I have read posts saying that loss of air pressure is common when you do it however. There isn't alot to lose trying this for myself, I have ordered the sparewheel option anyway!

As BMW UK are the official Alpina dealers, it doesn't surprise me that 20s are approved, but it makes it even more of a mystery why they won't sell you factory 19s. They happily stick big wheels on the back of 3 series tourers so you can't really accuse them of being overly cautious.

I think the thing that gets to me the most is why BM don't tell you WHY they say what they do, then you could at least make an informed decision.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='215568
Originally Posted by blingo' post='215568' date='Dec 26 2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys.

If non-RFs will fit the wheels then that would make life alot easier. I have read posts saying that loss of air pressure is common when you do it however. There isn't alot to lose trying this for myself, I have ordered the sparewheel option anyway!

As BMW UK are the official Alpina dealers, it doesn't surprise me that 20s are approved, but it makes it even more of a mystery why they won't sell you factory 19s. They happily stick big wheels on the back of 3 series tourers so you can't really accuse them of being overly cautious.

I think the thing that gets to me the most is why BM don't tell you WHY they say what they do, then you could at least make an informed decision.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:32 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Just fitted Goodyear GS-D3's to my 17 inch 7.5 rims.

Big improvement over the Bridgestone RFT's.

Now it feels like a Bimmer.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

If anyone is interested, I have discovered that staggered wheels fit the E61 with no problem, and that the lack of a 19" factory option relates to tyre load issues. If you buy Alpinas or ACs, they restrict the load capacity of the vehicle accordingly.

I have ordered staggered 172s which the car will be delivered on. The (brand new) RFs will be going on ebay and the standard rims fitted with winter tyres.

The car has a chassis number now (so I can't add any more gizmos - good for the wallet!), roll on March 1st.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blingo' post='233185' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:38 PM
If anyone is interested, I have discovered that staggered wheels fit the E61 with no problem, and that the lack of a 19" factory option relates to tyre load issues. If you buy Alpinas or ACs, they restrict the load capacity of the vehicle accordingly.

I have ordered staggered 172s which the car will be delivered on. The (brand new) RFs will be going on ebay and the standard rims fitted with winter tyres.

The car has a chassis number now (so I can't add any more gizmos - good for the wallet!), roll on March 1st.

Hello, could you explain me, how you did it, to have 19" wheels on your touring. i also want the 172M in my future 535d touring!!! thanks...
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='215452' date='Dec 25 2005, 09:27 AM
I had a look at the type certificate of a E61 last night and here in Sweden is it typed with 10,5x20" ET30 as optional wheels on the rear. So as long as you have control of the ET is shuld not be any problems with even 20" and they will even be legal!

Non-RFT can be fitted on RFT rims, but not the opposite.
What is a RFT rim....... IMO there is no such thing the RF's can be fitted to any rim
Old 02-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Members

Sorry Norham you?re wrong: it?s just like Robert J posted!

Quick Reply: E61 Wheels (again, sorry)