E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Transmission fault??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

Quick question on my 2005 E61 3.0D Auto

I noticed for the first time yesterday an issue when trying to use M+/- that I could go one way through the gears, but not the other. I removed the lever and gaiter, (obviously once I had pulled over..!) but was unable to see anything obvious that may have caused this malfunction. I have not spilt any liquid near the centre console and having had the car nearly 2 yrs, I know this to be a new 'feature'..... (Panoramic sunroof issues a recent cause-célèbre for my local dealer...)

I have searched for any other transmission issues like this but have found nothing useful online.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate you sharing your experiences

Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Members

So the response has been deafening

I had a chat yesterday with a friend who knows these ZF boxes and he suggested that a change in transmission fluid and filters would be advised.

Looks like minimal travel for the next week before I can get it to the Local Indy.. I guess I will keep you in the loop... lol
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Members

Just seen this thread, sorry cant be much help but I have the same problem. It started out as not being able to up shift. It's since progressed onto now including a brake pedal sensor fault that stops the car starting. I've just put up with it the past few months as a box service didn't help and there are no obvious fault codes coming up either. I've been told a new battery might be needed as mines showin 11.4v and could be the cause of electrical niggles and these faults. Yet to try a new battery though.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Members

Hi Tristan

Sorry to hear hare having similar issues

Previously have had a near-catastrophic failure due to water ingress through panoramic roof...which first manifested itself through excessive battery drain. Couple of starts by the RAC later, everything lit up like a christmas tree... When I took it to the dealer they replaced everything that had blown, removed the offending plugs from the drainage pipes, dried it out, recharged battery and relieved me of a large wedge of cash... I obviously have done a large amount of reading since then!!

However - at the time I questioned them about the battery, as it is the original and over 6 yrs old, and they said nothing wrong with it at all - having now read even more I am inclined to agree that there is more to this than meet the eye?? If I do get a new battery I understand you can upgrade to the newer/better AGM style battery and have the car re-coded? I am thinking I might check out the coding forums to see if I can save some money as things are starting to add up.

Anyway, I will hold fire on a 'box service, if as you say there has been no improvement. Looks like I'm saving for a new battery then?!

Rgds
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Members

I had exactly the same issue, short period later the "P" light never turned up again, after that the switching of gears failed intermediate. Called the dealer because engaging the drive was nearly impossible... I needed a completely new gear switch, ?500.-, some problem with the switch.

After replacement all functions worked as you might expect from a car in this price range.