E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Touring (Lci)
Default E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....

Hi Folks,
I've scoured the threads on this subject but still not really found the answer. In a fit of frustration (rear tailgate glass section opening every time I put the ignition key in ) I disconnected the wire spade connector to the tailgate glass mechanism under the cover whilst the glass portion was open. This obviously solved the problem short term but now can't get the glass open (decided now to repair the loom as high level brake light and fog light playing up)

I know there is a manual release but how to get to it? I unscrewed the trim on the main tailgate get can't get to the last two screws - I can see the tabs by gently prising the trim apart but surely this will destroy the trim If I get rough with it? How can I refit the trim afterwards if these break?

Is there a clever way without doing serious damage? I tried removing the tailgate switch mechanism and putting 12v on one of the wires but this did not operate the solenoid (even when pressing the button at the same time).

Any thoughts much appreciated. Car is 2008 Lci model
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Hi, I had the same problem and solved it as follows. I unscrewed the trim as much as possible, without removing the two screws obviously. Then I made a "tool" consisting of a broom stick and a nail (cut the top part of the nail) and then using a picture of the lock mechanism (see link below) you have to aim with the "tool" in-between the trim and aim into the small hole of the lock and push it towards up. The lock is black and has a hole that manually unlocks the rear glass.

Link with pictures of the lock: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...o-power-98217/

See picture:
Attached Thumbnails E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....-booth.jpg  

Last edited by paulie; 07-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 AM
New Members

Hi Paulie,
Superb thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
That's my weekend's work sorted then....wiring loom tailgate repair AFTER I've got the glass open...
Cheers
Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Members

Good luck and keep us updated.
Btw. I must say that opening the glass with the "tool" took some fiddling around.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 AM
New Members

Worked perfectly! It was open after the second 'wiggle'. I found an old broom handle in the garden shed, banged a nail in, cut the head off. Done!

No damage to the car and it enabled me to get on with fixing the other problems (and create a new one!).

I've re-wired the whole RHS of the hinge loom but now have a new problem! For some reason my key will not lock/unlock the door.

I've rechecked the wiring but can't find a fault? Anyone know which colour wire does the central locking? Does the diversity unit need re-setting after disconnect or might I have blown a fuse? If so which one to check?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 AM
Members

Nice :-) Need to patent the broom tool ;-)

I guess you solved the central locking problem, right? - blue/white wire.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 AM
New Members

yes correct. I had actually fixed this wire, then shrinkwrapped it... BUT because it's so thin it broke under the strain but stayed attached under the shrink sleeve - drove me mad for a while until I wriggled all the wires and it fell apart. I came VERY close to spending £248 on a new diversity unit thinking I had blown it up at some point.

It's a shame there is not a more robust solution - these wires are sooo thin yet move around a lot with the tailgate opening and closing.

I have a feeling I'll be going back in there again. I've just used fabric loom tape - is there something else that will withstand regular movement? I've ditched the metal guides but am worried the wires might catch in the hinge.

Last edited by moppit; 07-14-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Members

When I exchanged the wires, I used teflon coated wires. A set is available on Amazon. The cables are different as opposed to the original ones - more flexible. Then the cables were longer so, the sleeve is longer and less prone to stretching due to opening and closing of the booth. But, ask me in few years :-)

Edit: Added links to the cables:

Kabelbaum Reparatursatz für BMW 5er E61 TOURING Heckklappe rechts: Amazon.de: Auto Kabelbaum Reparatursatz für BMW 5er E61 TOURING Heckklappe rechts: Amazon.de: Auto
Kabelbaum Reparatursatz für BMW 5er E61 TOURING Heckklappe links: Amazon.de: Auto Kabelbaum Reparatursatz für BMW 5er E61 TOURING Heckklappe links: Amazon.de: Auto

Last edited by paulie; 07-17-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by paulie
When I exchanged the wires, I used teflon coated wires. A set is available on Amazon. The cables are different as opposed to the original ones - more flexible. Then the cables were longer so, the sleeve is longer and less prone to stretching due to opening and closing of the booth. But, ask me in few years :-)
Link to them, so we know exactly which?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Link to them, so we know exactly which?
Added the links.

Quick Reply: E61 Tailgate - how to open the glass? Slightly different question this time....