E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

In common with many people, my Tailgate Window button does nothing, and the window refuses to open. Definately not a fuse, and I have destroyed the button to get to the wires ... nothing (I have a new button to fit once the window opens)but still no way to open the window from the outside (not surprising).

No where on these forums have I found any reference to an emergency window release (but I live in hope), so what do BMW do ??? (I will visit a dealers service dept soon and ask that question).

In the meantime ... Does ANYONE have a solution ???

Heres a picture showing how far I have got so far ... was thinking about cutting wires to the lock / release, and then energising the right leads to release ... but need some help on this before I get that radical ..

Lets see if we can find a solution .. I can live without the glass opening, but now the rear wiper has failed (wires in the hinges I guess) and the glass window needs to be open to get to the wires ... Catch 22 ...
Attached Thumbnails How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-glass-tailgate-release-e61-.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d -05

Come on everybody, there must be a solution for this.
i Need help to.

Regards.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

Spent a wasted hour at the BMW service counter ... They have confirmed that there is no mechanical release, and that they simply connect the car up to the diagnostic system and pop the window electronically .... Fat lot of good that is if the wires through the hinges have been cut through by piss-poor BMW design, but they simply dont have anything else to suggest (Thanks BMW Peterborough !) .. Not even an offer to give it a try (15 minutes of their time ...).

I may go back when its a quiet time and try to get them to at least try ... BUT, not sure there is much point if the wires have been severed somewhere in the hinges (and, I am damned if I am going to pay for something so basic and entirely their fault )......

Any suggestions about where to find a decent wiring diagram to work out which wires to energise (see the picture) .....
Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Members

We are getting somewhere ... Here are pics of:

1. Rear Window Lock (Component M96)

2. Wiring Diagram for wires to this component ...

Not sure I really understand the logic of the wiring diagram , so any knowledgeable BMW electrical people out there who can help ??? (Which wires to put +12V onto (and which to connect -12V to) to get the lock to pop the window open ...

I am not giving up on this !
Attached Thumbnails How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-rear-window-lock-bmw-e61-2005-.jpg   How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-tailgate-glass-lock.jpg   How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-rear-window-lock-e61-.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

You said you got the button wires. I wonder how and if you really got them (open and) closed? I recently had the problem with button behaving weird. I've even destroyed button in front of me and I wonder how you got wires. Check the following topic.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/727...st__p__1156575

What you can try is to open the spoiler located on the tailgate and try to disconnect and connect the selected connection. Try to bridge it as the button does.
Attached Thumbnails How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)-2010-05-09_200510.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

I dont think he can remove the spoiler with his trunk glass window closed?

The screws for the spoiler are only accessibble when he opens the glass window..?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

You're right
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Members

Thanks for your contributions ! .. Just for clarity, I opened up the button and messed around trying to bridge / make a connection on the flexible circuit bits.. this looked a bit tenuous, so broke up the button itself, and dug back to two small black wires within the button, which I then twisted together ... Conclusion ... its not the button ... (Only did this after buying a new button off Ebay, which I will fit at the end of this sorry saga ) .. As you have concluded, I can't get to the connections under the spoiler ... until the glass is open ....
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Assume you have tried removing the wiper and undoing the large nut underneath it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Members

Oh Yes,

You have to take that off to get at the button, and then you find that the window glass is firmly bonded to the locking plate underneath the glass (Obvious I guess for anti-theft reasons) ...

Quick Reply: How to Open Tailgate Window (with no power)