E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Rear Axle Carrier Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 535d Touring

Hi there,

BMW service yesterday, investigating a squeaking sound deriving from my left-side rear-axle section, concluded that I require carrier bearings on both sides (left/right). Thinking confidently that it was some hose rubbing, shock absorber bushing or something simple but related, I was quite disappointed. The bearings per-se do not seem to be very expensive, but labour ain't cheap.

The car stands with ~110k km, so it's gone a long way. What are your experiences with such issues?

I'm suspicious as to whether this issue may also be attributed to, worsened, by DSC action/shock to this component (i.e.: acceleration shock, slippage, and DSC intervention in terms of deceleration shock).

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 03-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about any DSC effects on bearings (brakes are another story) but after reading tons of user reports on squeaks, rattles and other noises in the suspension, and also having been to BMW to "ask for advice" on suspension repair, I am suspecting that in 95% of the cases BMW has no clue about the source of the noise, and just throws replacement suggestions at the client, trying to make a quick buck or two out of the problem.

If I were in your shoes I would definitely check an independent garage as well, see what they have to say, and if anything has to be replaced, get them to do it, probably at 50% of the labour hour cost of BMW.

Also of course check on the forum and other ones for similar problems, although i must admit that after reading lots of such threads, I've never come across a similar problem like yours, so it might be difficult.

Otherwise I am very interested in the outcome, as there will for sure be others here that will suffer this or a similar problem in the future.