E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 M-sport lowering recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Hi guys,

I'm considering to go bit lower on my baby and just wondering which one is better, do you have any experiences?
As it is M-sport it is bit lower than a normal version, so for example if the Eibach says 30mm lower they mean 30mm on the normal E60, so what I can expect from M-sport?
Also as I have 19" wheels, would this be a problem?
Up to now I have found those 3 options:

H&R: http://www.ppcgb.com/BMW/5-Series-E6...mo1253-ct1262/
Eibach: http://www.ppcgb.com/BMW/5-Series-E6...mo1253-ct1262/
KW: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...roduct=3871466

KW and Eibach are offering 30mm and H&R 50mm and I'm afraid it will be to much?

Any recommendation, experiences?

thx a lot
Old 07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

I've done some research on the lowering springs as I'm planning to get some as well. You have 3 options spring-wise:

1) Eibach ProKit, -30 mm vs stock, i.e. ca. -10-15 mm vs. M-sport. This is the most comfortable option. As the springs are progressive (and the stock ones are not), these springs will give you more sportiness with same or a little improved comfort vs. m-sport.
2) H&R "normal", -35 mm vs stock, definitely stiffer and harsher than 1)
3) H&R "sport", -50 mm vs stock, very stiff and harsh, but some people dig the looks.

I think there is also the Eibach SportLine or something, which is lower and stiffer than 1) but not sure.

KW's I haven't considered as I don't want to spend that kind of money on this, and I am perfectly happy with the Eibach drop.

Regarding the looks with Eibach and the two H&R drops, search in the forum, there are lots of pics, particularly of E60's.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I checked the KW literature and they state the front ride height will be between 330 and 360mm when measured from the centre of the front wheel to the lower edge of the wheel arch. My E61 535d sport measures 360 on one side and 364 on the other so it looks like the KW system at maximum ride height is roughly the same as the BMW sport package.

I may well try a set of KWs - I have standard springs and Koni FSDs but still find the car has too much body lean and torque windup for my liking.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19

This is my point, I found the same information, than M-sport is going to be less lowered than a normal version, it says about 20 mm. OK, it is what I want, 1 max 1,5 cm lower, no more.
Now, considering the car's age (6 years) and heavy diesel engine, I think, the original spring will be little tired, the question is how much?
And how much will be the real drop? it could be even higher if the springs are really well tired.
In my case is both side 350 mm
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phelix
I have standard springs and Koni FSDs but still find the car has too much body lean and torque windup for my liking.
Try ARBs first, very effective and a lot cheaper..

I went with H&R ARBs and they made an enormous difference on body roll
Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madein
This is my point, I found the same information, than M-sport is going to be less lowered than a normal version, it says about 20 mm. OK, it is what I want, 1 max 1,5 cm lower, no more.
Now, considering the car's age (6 years) and heavy diesel engine, I think, the original spring will be little tired, the question is how much?
And how much will be the real drop? it could be even higher if the springs are really well tired.
In my case is both side 350 mm
tough to answer.. it seems your car is already 10 mm lower than phelix's otherwise identical car

whatever you do, keep in mind that the new springs will need approx. 2 weeks to settle to their true height

if you ask me, go with the Eibachs and let us know how it drives with them on the bumpy UK roads so I can have a proper opinion before I buy them
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
tough to answer.. it seems your car is already 10 mm lower than phelix's otherwise identical car

whatever you do, keep in mind that the new springs will need approx. 2 weeks to settle to their true height

if you ask me, go with the Eibachs and let us know how it drives with them on the bumpy UK roads so I can have a proper opinion before I buy them

It is probably the one I will go for it, I'm also planing to change my RTF to normal, so I'll se what will come first and let you know.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

madein, I also just bought a set of 6-series wheels with exactly the same tyre sizes as yours.

do they rub anywhere? under any conditions? would be great to know before I install them
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
madein, I also just bought a set of 6-series wheels with exactly the same tyre sizes as yours.

do they rub anywhere? under any conditions? would be great to know before I install them

As they are all 9" wide the offset is little big different, on the front I can see little sign of touching the plastics, but is nothing to consider, it must be under extreme condition, not during the normal drive, I can't say anything about the rear as I had my arches done before I use the 6's wheels, however it is going so close to inside , there is no space to put the finger between the car and the tyre, so as I'm thinking to get rid of the RTF, and I'm also considering possibility to go with the standard size (275x30x19) instead of the 6 (275x35x19), but I don't know yet.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madein
As they are all 9" wide the offset is little big different, on the front I can see little sign of touching the plastics, but is nothing to consider, it must be under extreme condition, not during the normal drive, I can't say anything about the rear as I had my arches done before I use the 6's wheels, however it is going so close to inside , there is no space to put the finger between the car and the tyre, so as I'm thinking to get rid of the RTF, and I'm also considering possibility to go with the standard size (275x30x19) instead of the 6 (275x35x19), but I don't know yet.
cheers. the fronts should be 8.5 wide, but the important thing is that they dont rub considerably.
the rears move inwards when the car is jacked up, so when you get it down again they move outwards and the space on the inside of the fender gets much more. so on the rears the outside fender lip will be my concern until I put them on.. fingers crossed

your car looks great on the avatar pic, I'm a big fan of those wheels. can you post any larger pics of the car?

Quick Reply: E61 M-sport lowering recommendation