E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Air suspension level sensor nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 02:44 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E61 525D SE
Default E61 Air suspension level sensor nightmare

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with the issue I am having with my air suspension, I have searched the forum/internet/youtube/facebook owners group and have not been able to find a resolution.

I recently installed coilovers on the front axle and lowering links on the rear, all was good and the ride height dropped perfectly for about a week, then the RR started losing air overnight.

With the vehicle being nearly 20 years old and 200k I replaced the rear airbags, this is when the fun started.

As soon as I put the fuses back in the LR raised all the way up and the RR was fine, I could control the axle in ISTA but could not get the sides to level out.

I installed INPA where I can now control the airbags separately and have set the ride height in hand then cleared the transport mode and reset the EHC module in ISTA (I have also installed the original links).

I am showing a ride-level sensor issue on the RR. Originally I had part reference 1093699 on the RR and 1093697 on the LR. I replaced both of these with non-BMW parts that are compatible with the original numbers. The LR is fine but with both original sensors and new replacements I am having the same fault of reading low. I believe that the sensor can flip and that you can rotate the lever arm, but this does not resolve the issue.

I must be missing something here as I am getting feedback from the sensor and the connections look good. I have tried to calibrate through INPA but to no avail.

Below are the screenshots of ISTA and from INPA with the fault code and readings: