E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 6spd Winter Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 06:20 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Drifter2090
Cars looking great! Just picked up a 10 535xi and been loving it (I'm in the GTA too). I have a set of 640m sitting around and didn't even think of putting them on the wagon till I read your thread haha.

Regarding the springs, were they the wagon specific H&R front springs? Do you have a full p/n for the top hats too?
Nope I pulled the springs off a awd sedan. I believe the springs are the same for the front; wagon kit just doesnt come with the rears. Many people complain about the endlinks hitting the cv boots with these springs; I still have clearance but my car was lowered less, likely due to non turbo and manual trans being the lightest combo vs the turbo/auto being 3-400lbs heavier.

I don't have the part number off hand but the 098 mounts are the same as the E90 rwd Sport mounts. I bought the lemforder one (oem) with the coating on it and the unscrewable alignment pin(so you dont have to grind it off)
The following users liked this post:
Drifter2090 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 06:25 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi - F87 M2 - E36 328ic - E92 M3
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by neilv
Nope I pulled the springs off a awd sedan. I believe the springs are the same for the front; wagon kit just doesnt come with the rears. Many people complain about the endlinks hitting the cv boots with these springs; I still have clearance but my car was lowered less, likely due to non turbo and manual trans being the lightest combo vs the turbo/auto being 3-400lbs heavier.

I don't have the part number off hand but the 098 mounts are the same as the E90 rwd Sport mounts. I bought the lemforder one (oem) with the coating on it and the unscrewable alignment pin(so you dont have to grind it off)
Ah I see, so I guess worst case I might need adjustable front endlinks. Yeah I guess I have the heaviest option, n54 awd auto lol.

Since mine is heavier I might try just the springs first and add top hats if necessary. How does the ride compare to stock? Is it a lot stiffer?

Thanks for the top hat info!

Last edited by Drifter2090; 07-03-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:32 AM
New Members

I found the factory suspension (which was still in okay shape) to be pretty soft; this is stiffer but not bad. It drives more like a bmw now Can just get crashy over abrubt deep bumps because awd just lacks that travel. I also trimmed the bumpstop down a cm or so too. Top hats on the 08+ cars will lower it ~5mm anyways because the later cars used the E90 non-sport mounts compared to the earlier cars that used the E90 sport.

Ive been trying to find longer endlinks to just bolt on an existing option (trying not to do adjustable/heimjoint for winter/salt use) but ~18" length is very long already
Drifter2090 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 06:46 AM
New Members

I found the factory suspension (which was still in okay shape) to be pretty soft; this is stiffer but not bad. It drives more like a bmw now Can just get crashy over abrubt deep bumps because awd just lacks that travel. I also trimmed the bumpstop down a cm or so too. Top hats on the 08+ cars will lower it ~5mm anyways because the later cars used the E90 non-sport mounts compared to the earlier cars that used the E90 sport.

Ive been trying to find longer endlinks to just bolt on an existing option (trying not to do adjustable/heimjoint for winter/salt use) but ~18" length is very long already
Yeah definitely rides soft stock especially with the rear air, all my suspension has been refreshed so hopefully I'll be fine with just swapping the springs, I'll trim the bump stops as well.

Yeah true that's why I didn't want to do cheap coilovers, winter kills them. Need KW v3s to hold up in the winter but I don't want to spend that money on my daily.

As long as it still rides softer than my M2 I'll be fine haha.

Any plans to find msport/M5 bumpers and skirts? I was able to find some skirts but I'm still debating if I want to do M5 fender + bumper or M5 Rep bumper or m sport bumper.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:51 AM
New Members

It rides similar enough to my E9X M-sport suspension. Not as good but close enough for being awd; The bilsteins are 10-15% stiffer dampened than the oe shocks in the front so it helps with the stiffer springs. The B8 w/ the internal bumpstop trimmed would be the ideal option; It would remove the bottom out issue

Since the E6x never came M sport in my rare colour its going to be tough to find some used. If I find some bumpers cheap I might tackle it but theres a lot of small trim bits to go with it too needed. Worth it for a winter beater though? I'm not a fan of the M5 stuff though; M-sport looks way better in my opinion

Also Ive been meaning to update the thread but I picked up an M-sport anthracite headliner, heated M-sport steering wheel and found some Amethyst leather comfort seats to match(ultra rare); Plus an E70 X5M cluster I'm thinking of throwing in.

Last edited by neilv; 07-03-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Drifter2090 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 04:41 PM
New Members

It rides similar enough to my E9X M-sport suspension. Not as good but close enough for being awd; The bilsteins are 10-15% stiffer dampened than the oe shocks in the front so it helps with the stiffer springs. The B8 w/ the internal bumpstop trimmed would be the ideal option; It would remove the bottom out issue

Since the E6x never came M sport in my rare colour its going to be tough to find some used. If I find some bumpers cheap I might tackle it but theres a lot of small trim bits to go with it too needed. Worth it for a winter beater though? I'm not a fan of the M5 stuff though; M-sport looks way better in my opinion

Also Ive been meaning to update the thread but I picked up an M-sport anthracite headliner, heated M-sport steering wheel and found some Amethyst leather comfort seats to match(ultra rare); Plus an E70 X5M cluster I'm thinking of throwing in.
Oh good to know, if I find the ride harsh I will try out some b8's.

Yeah that's true it's even harder for you, definitely would need to wait for a junkyard e60 m sport and get the bumper/skirts painted. That way you can grab the brake ducts, grill, fog light connectors etc. Even though mines my daily/beater too I just can't stand the standard front bumper lol. Yeah most angles the M sport seems to be the way to go, the rep m5 bumper looks off some angles.

Oh nice! I got lucky and my wagon came with the black headliner and black trim, you will love it, makes the interior feel so much nicer. Been looking for a clean m sport heated wheel to pop up as well, most are quite worn.

Nice! That's super hard to find, I think I've seen your WTB ad (Burlington?). I've been debating doing the M5 cluster rings and venoxy gauge face with oil temp, previous owners only mod was white LEDs on the cluster and red needles so I'm halfway there.

Old 07-04-2023, 04:58 AM
New Members

I've seen a few E60 Msports at the junk yard but most of the fronts have always been trashed.

Your wagon has the black headliner but not M-sport? PO was nice to put that one in for you.

Yea I'm burlington. I have the M5 cluster rings on my stock cluster now (can also be found on 6 series cars) and its a nice bonus
Drifter2090 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 05:51 AM
New Members

I've seen a few E60 Msports at the junk yard but most of the fronts have always been trashed.

Your wagon has the black headliner but not M-sport? PO was nice to put that one in for you.

Yea I'm burlington. I have the M5 cluster rings on my stock cluster now (can also be found on 6 series cars) and its a nice bonus
Yeah they're usually cracked at the bottom, been having a hard time finding a clean bumper too.

Yeah I guess it was an option in 2010? Mine is also a US car so maybe that's why, it has HUD too.

I think I've bought a couple things from you before now that I think about it lol, I'm in Burlington too.

Will definitely do the cluster rings!

I test fitted my 640m with 255/40/18 winters on it and seems like the front has too much poke, most likely due to the tire size and me not being lowered and stock camber.

Can you post a picture of your front fitment?

Old 07-04-2023, 06:10 AM
New Members

Honestly I believe the black headliner was only M-sport US or Canada; Ive never seen a sport pack wagon anywhere with it. Does it say the anthracite 775 option when you run it though a vin reader?

I run 245/40 square on mine and have the alignment pin pulled for that extra ~0.3 ish of front camber. fronts are legit flush flush even before I lowered it. All the pics I have are in this thread although I do need to take some new ones
Old 07-04-2023, 07:15 AM
New Members

Honestly I believe the black headliner was only M-sport US or Canada; Ive never seen a sport pack wagon anywhere with it. Does it say the anthracite 775 option when you run it though a vin reader?

I run 245/40 square on mine and have the alignment pin pulled for that extra ~0.3 ish of front camber. fronts are legit flush flush even before I lowered it. All the pics I have are in this thread although I do need to take some new ones
Yes it shows 775 - Individual anthracite roof-lining and I have the 339 shadow line package too for the window trim.

(vin c237425)
Okay that's probably what I need to do then, the little bit of negative camber should fix my poke. I'll do the springs, punch the alignment pin and do 535 rwd bump stops.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: E61 6spd Winter Wagon