E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 6spd Winter Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by neilv
Tires are only 245 width; I ran the same width last year (we use the 225/235 combo on our E90s and i've used 235s on the previous volvo for winters). Have yet to have to be stuck anywhere or wish for narrower.

Also I've driven a lowered car in the winter for the last decade; I'm not sure why that would be an issue?
I see that you are in the GTA and don't really experience true winter conditions. The Alpins are overkill in those conditions. I lived in the Halton Hills for a period of time, so I know the conditions. Still, a lowered car in real snow conditions brings up all sorts of "plowing" and "bottom scrapping" images to mind. BTW, I use the 245/50-17 Michelin Crossclimates year round on my 545, but then I don't do much driving in the Montreal winter storms - I just stay home or go south.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:58 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I still don't see the big deal. Even driving up to northern Quebec or Vermont for snowboarding. never had an issue;. When there is snow, its either plowed or its still fluffy and you just push it along; I'll never be taking the car off paved roads.

Lowering this car Id be going around an inch down(ideally), that's about the height of the stock sport/M-sport suspension for rwd cars. Is that too low to winter drive even if its factory? Plus, I'm willing to bet there will still be more wheel well & ground clearance than many compact or sports cars you see driving around in the winter. That extra inch is going to be a huge killer...
The following users liked this post:
Drifter2090 (07-03-2023)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:02 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

I still don't see the big deal. Even driving up to northern Quebec or Vermont for snowboarding. never had an issue;. When there is snow, its either plowed or its still fluffy and you just push it along; I'll never be taking the car off paved roads.

Lowering this car Id be going around an inch down(ideally), that's about the height of the stock sport/M-sport suspension for rwd cars. Is that too low to winter drive even if its factory? Plus, I'm willing to bet there will still be more wheel well & ground clearance than many compact or sports cars you see driving around in the winter. That extra inch is going to be a huge killer...
Sounds like you have your mind set. It was the former rally car driver in me commenting.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:17 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Ride: .

Thanks! I've been working on the steering a bit more and this is what I've come up with; Still a little light at parking lot speeds but the rest is pretty good. As close to the amazing steering feel that the E90 chassis has:

GESCHWIN_WERTE_KOMFORT_KGM
Wert_02
Wert_03
Wert_06

STROMWERTE_KOMFORT_KGM
Wert_02
Wert_03

I'm also still trying to find if I can turn on the throttle(EDK) setting for sport mode without pressing the button. I'm searching all the modules still.
This sounds really cool, how are you accomplishing this? Is it a simple NCSexpert/NCSdummy job, or is there more to it?
You mention sport mode, have you tried flashing the TCU to sport mode? I've googled around and read that 7601458 gives the transmission sport programming without the added shifter/hardware.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac
This sounds really cool, how are you accomplishing this? Is it a simple NCSexpert/NCSdummy job, or is there more to it?
You mention sport mode, have you tried flashing the TCU to sport mode? I've googled around and read that 7601458 gives the transmission sport programming without the added shifter/hardware.
Yep its just thru the NCS programs and the KGM module. I believe both are normally "wert 7"; Moving them to "wert 2" is better but for me still not enough. Im going to try and figure out neodat to do a custom setting that is between 2 and 1(true no assist)

The TCU is the media box; That handles bluetooth, phones and gps kind of things, Do you know that flashing that would affect the rest of the car?

Last edited by neilv; 11-23-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:56 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Ride: .

Yep its just thru the NCS programs and the KGM module. I believe both are normally "wert 7"; Moving them to "wert 2" is better but for me still not enough. Im going to try and figure out neodat to do a custom setting that is between 2 and 1(true no assist)
Very cool. I changed from "wert 9" (stock) to "wert 2" (which also automatically selected wert 7 and 17 I think). Even manually changing the .man file specifically to call out the three you have (2, 3, and 6) didn't work quite right.
I'm happy with the improvement, but am curious how you are forcing it to be 2, 3, and 6?

The ECU is the media box; That handles bluetooth, phones and gps kind of things, Do you know that flashing that would affect the rest of the car?
TCU, not ECU. I just realized you have a manual transmission, so this does not apply. I went ahead and did it just now, it loaded just fine and I will see if I notice anything when I drive it.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:02 PM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I fail to understand what changes are happening with these settings. As far as I’m aware all North American E61’s have xDrive and no dynamic drive or active steering so I figured we had a standard power steering system. Did I miss something in one of your upgrades?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:05 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I fail to understand what changes are happening with these settings. As far as I’m aware all North American E61’s have xDrive and no dynamic drive or active steering so I figured we had a standard power steering system. Did I miss something in one of your upgrades?
We don't have active steering(adjustable ratio) but North American E60s have Servotronic(adjustable assist) standard; What I am adjusting is the amount of assist. Trying to change it from a prius like light and easy feel, back to the bmw heavier and responsive sporty steering feel. But doing it normally so I don't have to press or install a sport button
kd7iwp (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:21 PM
New Members

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

We don't have active steering(adjustable ratio) but North American E60s have Servotronic(adjustable assist) standard;
Well that's news to me, I look forward to playing around with one more thing now. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2020, 04:38 AM
New Members

Started doing the rear brake overhaul. I also needed one of the hub bushing/bearings replaced; Jesus they are a pain to get in and out. I know they are press fit but aluminum+steel really do stick together. Also getting the axles out of the hub; 1 tapped out nice while the other had to be taken off and pressed out. Also noticed one of the upper control arm boots looked a bit.

I went with the #820 Z8/M5 upgraded front upper arm and stock rear arms as they are the same. I also got new dust shields as mine seemed to be corroding where they get bolted; kinda sloppy. But the nice thing is all wagons have the same dust shield, 320 or 345 rotors so no trimming or anything.
Drifter2090 (07-03-2023)

Quick Reply: E61 6spd Winter Wagon