E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 535xi Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i 2008 BMW 535xi Touring 2005 Lexus GX470 2000 Audi A4 1.8T

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to find an exhaust system for my E61 and I'm having trouble finding a thread with detailed info on this.

Do any of you have exhaust on your 535xi?

Do you like it?

What modifications were needed to make it fit?

I'm looking for something sporty with a deep sound, but not ridiculously loud. I've been searching online and have found a few options for quad exhaust, but of course that would require replacing the rear bumper (which I saw a sample of here). I am open to doing this, but have yet to find an affordable way to source a quad exhaust bumper here in the States.

Here's some samples of what I've found:

RPI full cat-back dual exhaust
http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/rpi-gt/RP-BE5-60-35-EX
Note that those systems are for a 535i and not necessarily for a 535xi.

RD Sport
https://racingdynamics.com/eStore/in...301462603.html

GTHaus
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...ce_Level/18442

Anybody else know what's out there?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Pretty sure norsecarnut's got Dinan on his, which is more of a muffler than cat back exhaust (that'll give a few extra HP too), but at least you'll get a meaner sound.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Members

For bolt ons, Magnaflow and Remus have options also, and Umnitza has a quad.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

that video is a guy on bimmerfest polknole. RPI was a limited run exhaust i think b/c lack of demand, and even when they were available there was no xi model. When i asked i was told they never fit it to an xi but it might work.. Not wanting ti be the test dummy i went with the Gthuas axle back as shown in the link that pick is wrong by the way. and yes $1600+ for an axle back. I love the way mine sounds I'm planning a res delete soon. heres the vids. i now have a go pro so better vids to come

https://5series.net/forums/topic/978...rschaft-video/
Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i 2008 BMW 535xi Touring 2005 Lexus GX470 2000 Audi A4 1.8T

Thanks guys for the responses. Very helpful!

I've been really happy with Dinan in the past and I know that it'll fit the E61, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'll take some photos when I install tomorrow or Monday (depending on when it arrives) and post on this thread.

Next up is software...

Anyone out there heard of "Split Second" Turbo Tuners? Some of the shops in our area recommend them highly. Thoughts? http://www.splitsec.com/products/turbotuner2.htm
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by huntington
Next up is software...

Anyone out there heard of "Split Second" Turbo Tuners? Some of the shops in our area recommend them highly. Thoughts? http://www.splitsec.com/products/turbotuner2.htm
Seriously? If you want some mickey mouse tune, sure, or if you're super budget conscious and a few hundred $ makes a difference (which I can see by your style, it doesn't).

I don't think it controls anything sophisticated. Plus, it can throw hidden "tuner" codes, which if you're under warranty you'll want to avoid, and can only clear if you buy another sophisticated tool to do so.

They were one of the first on the market years ago, but noone ever seems to talk about them if they want a proper tune. I'm on E90Post, where there is tons of activity in tuning. Piggybacks came next (the most sophisticated and popular are Procede and Burger Tuning's JB4 stuff (the JB+ is a quick and dirty "tune" like the SSTT)) and then most flash tunes arrived a couple of years ago (other than Dinan who's been around for a while). Cobb was the latest entry and has the most features. Flash tunes in my opinion are the way to go, for a nice smooth tune that controls multiple engine parameters, but the high end piggy's do quite a bit of that too.

The piggies, you have to get into the ECU box and install them (which is not a big deal if you're handy, but a PITA if you choose to uninstall it every time you go in for service to be totally safe for warranty purposes (if you have none now, no worries about that of course, just leave it in all the time) and have to put it back again after).

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Cobb flash tune (got one as well as a Procede right now), and it does way more than just flash. You can read and clear codes, log things, acts like a gauge (your boost and other parameters), among other stuff. It's super easy to install - it's the only handheld flashing device out there, you plug it into the OBDII port, and half hour later, you're done. GIAC and Dinan and others you need to go in to have the car flashed.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Thanks guys for the responses. Very helpful!

Your welcome , and anything but split second . Those are non xi numbers, so you won't even see 325whp. Not dinan either ..Soooo many other / better options.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

Very interesting. Given the fact that the Cobb tune is HALF the Dinan cost, I'm leaning heavily towards Cobb. I also like that it comes with its own tool.

Exhaust should be in this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll install, then post some pix. I'm sure shortly after that, I'll be purchasing the Cobb setup...
Originally Posted by Glowin
Seriously? If you want some mickey mouse tune, sure, or if you're super budget conscious and a few hundred $ makes a difference (which I can see by your style, it doesn't).

I don't think it controls anything sophisticated. Plus, it can throw hidden "tuner" codes, which if you're under warranty you'll want to avoid, and can only clear if you buy another sophisticated tool to do so.

They were one of the first on the market years ago, but noone ever seems to talk about them if they want a proper tune. I'm on E90Post, where there is tons of activity in tuning. Piggybacks came next (the most sophisticated and popular are Procede and Burger Tuning's JB4 stuff (the JB+ is a quick and dirty "tune" like the SSTT)) and then most flash tunes arrived a couple of years ago (other than Dinan who's been around for a while). Cobb was the latest entry and has the most features. Flash tunes in my opinion are the way to go, for a nice smooth tune that controls multiple engine parameters, but the high end piggy's do quite a bit of that too.

The piggies, you have to get into the ECU box and install them (which is not a big deal if you're handy, but a PITA if you choose to uninstall it every time you go in for service to be totally safe for warranty purposes (if you have none now, no worries about that of course, just leave it in all the time) and have to put it back again after).

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Cobb flash tune (got one as well as a Procede right now), and it does way more than just flash. You can read and clear codes, log things, acts like a gauge (your boost and other parameters), among other stuff. It's super easy to install - it's the only handheld flashing device out there, you plug it into the OBDII port, and half hour later, you're done. GIAC and Dinan and others you need to go in to have the car flashed.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Not to mention you car sell the Cobb at a later date if need be .. Can't do that with a dinan.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Members

Very interesting. Given the fact that the Cobb tune is HALF the Dinan cost, I'm leaning heavily towards Cobb. I also like that it comes with its own tool.

Exhaust should be in this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll install, then post some pix. I'm sure shortly after that, I'll be purchasing the Cobb setup...
You'll thank me for sure!

Make sure to run the Sport map, stock throttle, not linear throttle (it's more tame), unless you have access to 94 octane gas, in which case, go with Aggressive map, stock throttle, for the most gain. If you get downpipes too at some point, you can go stage 2.

PS I'm thinking of getting another one myself for my other car. I can hit up the first vendor I bought mine from, and see if he'll do a good deal on two in one shot. Interested? (I'll make sure you can pay yourself separately of course, so the paper trail is there for your history and warranty)

Quick Reply: E61 535xi Aftermarket Exhaust