E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 535xi 6MT Budget Daily Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 11:11 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: E39 530i5, E61 535xiT6
Default E61 535xi 6MT Budget Daily Project

Hi All,

I'm starting this thread to keep track of my progress with my '08 535xi wagon. It's my college commuter/project/fun car all in one (well, the E39 is supposed to be the project, but it can't be a project if I never work on it...). My budget is limited for this project, largely because of the great amount of work I put into it in the last year (more than my previous 6 BMWs... combined!) but also because I'm still in school and ramen gives me heart palpitations.

Anyway...

I've owned the wagon for about 13 months, and have finally gotten it close to being sorted. Because of this, I've finally given myself a bit of freedom to look into some basic modifications and making the car more fun. Up until last month, my only modification was a light MHD tune–mechanical, electrical, and cosmetic refurbishment had been the priorities. It has an exhaust leak at the turbo manifold(s) now, but otherwise is largely mechanically sorted.

I bought the car with 163k miles, and it's at 179k a year later.

Here it is as I bought it:

Went on a camping trip with a friend in the White Mountains the week I got the car.

Before modifications:

...after some light cosmetic touches...

...then wheels/tires from a 2019 440i...

...and finally a horribly-photoshopped representation of my short-term goal for the car (maybe a tad less low).

Before:

After:

Winter mode:

Back when we had 3 E61s:

I'll update here periodically with mini-projects or other mods! Fixing the turbo manifold leak(s) next, then coilovers!
The following users liked this post:
StreetWise (01-28-2023)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:35 AM
New Members

Quick update: Pulled the trigger on some ISC coilovers. I decided to retain the factory SLS (currently lowered via turning the sensor, but I plan on getting setup with INPA and doing it properly). During my pre-semester maintenance, I changed the plugs and discovered that the cylinder 2 plug was a bit fouled looking. I think my low-mileage index 12 injector may be acting up, but I guess that's the gamble with used parts. Also had an issue with my passenger-side headlight housing leaking water and killing the xenon ballast and the adaptive headlight module, but I'll be re-sealing that and replacing the modules (next weekend, I hope!). The car usually sits in the garage while I'm at school, so I've been procrastinating dealing with those issues.

I also (semi) installed some Hella rally lights right before leaving for college in the fall, but due to covid I didn't have enough time to wire them up. Feeling like a bit of a poseur because they don't currently function but I intend on wiring them up over break for use during ski season.

I also picked up some lightly-used OZ Racing Rally wheels with snow tires for the winter. Only test-fit a front and a rear, but I'm very excited to get them all mounted later in the season.

Oh, and my new favorite mod (well, most recent at least) was plasti-dipping my EZ pass black so it doesn't stick out.

Interior glamour shot... although the driver seat is starting to show signs of 180k+ miles.

Test-fitting the OZs.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E61 535xi
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Looks great and that's awesome that this is a 6MT, wishing mine was.
- How do the coilovers feel with them on for a month now?
- And what Hella lights and how did you attach it to the bumper? I'm assuming the two existing screw locations or did you drill new?
Old 11-17-2022, 07:36 AM
New Members

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

Looking good!
Old 11-17-2022, 07:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Burn Hard
Looks great and that's awesome that this is a 6MT, wishing mine was.
- How do the coilovers feel with them on for a month now?
- And what Hella lights and how did you attach it to the bumper? I'm assuming the two existing screw locations or did you drill new?
I actually installed the coilovers in early August, so I've had them on for about 3 months now (just didn't get around to posting until October). Overall, I really like them: the car feels more agile and I couldn't imagine going back to the factory suspension. The ride isn't as comfortable, but I've got them on a middle setting stiffness-wise (may soften them up a bit for winter, but will see how it goes). Over big dips, the car bottoms out occasionally in the rear, so I'm a bit more careful with that (but it isn't much worse than my old 335i with the stock sport suspension, which also did that when loaded). The rear suspension is still factory, but is lowered with the air bags–I think upgrading the dampers could help with that a bit, so may be something I do in the future. I want to retain the air suspension, so I'm not sure what options are out there. That said, it isn't really a big concern for me–I'm just a little more vigilant for large bumps.

The lights are Hella Black Magic. I cut some metal brackets to mount them to the bumper (just drilled through, and put brackets on the outside and a support on the inside of the bumper–the drill holes are under the edge, so I can remove the lights and holes won't be visible unless someone really wanted to find them). I'm not satisfied with the brackets, though–they're a bit weak. That said, I can tell when somebody has tapped the car while parallel-parking, as it bends the brackets slightly. I worry that a stiffer bracket could damage the light or the bumper if that happened. Overall, though, probably worth figuring out a stiffer bracket. One thing worth noting is that I mounted the lights slightly too far inward (toward the middle of the bumper)... they occasionally confuse the parking sensors. I think mounting them a coupe inches further outboard would be better, so maybe I'll deal with that in the future. If I feel motivated

Last edited by SkiTaxi; 11-17-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:43 AM
New Members

Threw the winter wheels/tires on the E61. They're 17', so definitely a more comfortable ride than the 19" summer run-flats. Just realized I'm missing one of the OZ center caps, so I'll be ordering one soon. Hoping to put the ski box on and hit the slopes soon!

The ride height looks a little uneven due to the driveway.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:56 PM
New Members

Put my roof rack on and took a few pics in the light snow we recently had. I'd love to get a nicer (and smaller) roof box, but it's functional and replacing it is quite far down the list of priorities. I've taken the car up to Vermont twice so far this season and am happy with the setup, although I'm still hoping for some more snow to test it out.

The following users liked this post:
Arbuz (12-26-2022)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:09 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Hey! How did you end up lowering the air suspension? Coded it with ISTA yet or have you just done it the physical way still? I will need to do it soon, I'm wondering what all it entails. Beautiful build and so jealous you had three at once.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kikoeta
Hey! How did you end up lowering the air suspension? Coded it with ISTA yet or have you just done it the physical way still? I will need to do it soon, I'm wondering what all it entails. Beautiful build and so jealous you had three at once.
Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

I lowered the rear air suspension in a pretty janky way--I rotated the ride height sensors and secured them in their new orientation with both the original screw and wire. They haven't moved at all, but I've been hoping to put them back in their original spot and use INPA to do it properly.

I love the car but recently have been lusting after a 996.2 911, so I may be parting ways with the E61. Afraid I'll miss it greatly, but it's listed for sale now... definitely want a verbal first-right-of-refusal agreement with the buyer if I end up selling!

Stopped in Montreal for lunch during a snow storm.