E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 525 diesel poor starting in cold (ish) weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had big cold starting problems with my 2005 525d - excatly as described here. So have A LOT of other guys here in Norway with both 3 and 5 series diesel. From these guys' experience, there ain't a single solution that fix all. Some have changed glow plugs, and while it has helped some, others didn't notice any improvement. Some say their glow control unit is the reason for the starting problems. Also, at least in Norway, the normal diesel is good down to about -20C. The winter diesel should be good down to -32C. I surprisingly got mine started yesterday with a newly charged battery + a 350A start booster. However, today, it struggled again, but started. What surprises me is that it seems very many fellas with 525d are having issues. I also read somewhere that Bosch supposedly are having problems with glow plugs supply in Europe.

What seems to help most is to have some sort of engine heater pre start. Either a Webasto, an electrical heater that heats either the oil or the coolant fluid, or just put a fan oven in the engine compartment for a couple of hours before starting. If you don't have access to 220V/110V, then you're out of luck, I guess.

My $.02
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 AM
DLS
Members

My Ride: E61 535D 06`M-Sport carbon black

Look`s like I`m gonna try out some of those additives..
Cold weather is coming this weekend again
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D 2005

I also own a 525d (e61 from 2005 with approx. 170.000km). Here in Holland temp. dropped to minus 10 last week. My glow-plug only lites up for 1 or 2 seconds and the engine starts just fine (car stands outside all night).

My problem is that after 15 ~ 20 minutes driving I always end up in a traffic jam (no, this is not the actual problem however, if someone also has a solution for this.....) and then the car starts to stutter. It does that in the area from 1500 ~ 2000 rpm. driving in 2, 3 or 4 gear.

My car will go to the dealer within two weeks from now for an oil change, perhaps this might already solve this problem.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

We've had some cold weather in Sweden lately, down to around -15 in the mornings, where I live. On a few occations I have noticed that it sounded like the engine didn't start on all six cylinders. The problem went away after a few seconds and once I drove away I didn't experence any problems at all.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Members

My 525d (140000 miles/220000km) now also suffering with poor cold starting. I suspect one or two (possibly more) glow plugs, but am getting paranoid after reading this thread! Symptoms are as described above - poor 1st thing, lumpy running for a few seconds, then once the lungs have cleared, all ok. We've had down to -18c here and she's been fine. She's always turned over slowly, the glow plug light is normally unnoticeable it's on for such a short time. BMW site claims 1-3 seconds for warm up, so this doesn't surprise me. I'm considering replacing all the plugs (not an expensive job, and should be within my capability) rather than a hit and miss selection, and I don't have the diagnostics to be any smarter. I was considering selling the car - and it must know!!

And I recall my physics from school - lower temperatures seriouosly magnify internal resistance in a car battery - if it's on the way out, cold weather will kill it off.

I'll let you know how I get on. For the brits here, Euro car parts does glow plugs for about £12 each. Less than £100 to get smooth cold starts could be a bargain. Less than an hours work at the dealer!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Members

Hope changing the glow plugs solves your problem, as far as my garage is concerned they are convinced all the plugs are now OK after changing just two. Hopefully going to drop it in at the garage in the morning for them to try some new sensor or other but have to say I think it may be related to the fuel pumps. It's at times like this I really wish my French was fluent!! AAaagggghhh

Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

Hello, i have a 525, 2005 and just had the same problem.
The problem with my car was the glow relay. It was realy hard to start when it was below 0 degrees.
After it was replased it starts on the first turn and runs clean from the first second.

The glow relay is quite cheep but as far as i know it takes some hours to replace it since the air intake manifold will have to be removed i am told?

Best regards
Oyvind
Old 01-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Members

Thanks for that Oyvind, will have a close look at the location of the part and speak to the garage. Th car is now booked in for Wednesday so will post an update then.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

My car (diesel) stands outside all the time. Recently in -9 / -10. Was not used or started for a week in those conditions. When I started it was idling lumpy, like it was not firing on all cyclinder, this went away the moment I got moving, I think it is one of those BMW things !!! Also noticed occassionally with our other non-BMW diesel car. I put it down to waxing diesel.

Also, was amazed that the battery charge dropped so low, for one week standing in freezing conditions, it just about turned-over the engine and started. Wonder what happens in Nordics when you folks go on holiday for 2 weeks and leave you cars in below freezing in open airport parking ?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Members

Got the same problem E60 525d 54 plate,100007 miles (turned 100,000 today)had all the heater plugs changed and things improved slightly. But even at 5-8 oC it struggles on a few cylinders, but once in drive and pulling away it stops. I even resorted to putting a blanket over the engine at night and it helped, but is rather embarresing as next doors saxo 1.1 starts first time everytime!!
Anyway its going into the garage on Tuesday to look at the injectors as its been suggested it come be them as my mpg has fallen to less than 25 mpg from being above 30 mpg and it cant be all due to the cold weather. Also I charged the battery and still didnt help, even hooked it up to my missus car to jump off hers and no better.
Once I know more will update.

Quick Reply: E61 525 diesel poor starting in cold (ish) weather