E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Driving lights on/off (NOT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Hi,

Today I found out that the annoyance with the driving lights is a software bug. In Finland, it's best to have driving lights on all the time, but with current software I have to switch the lights on and off manually (I hate that). Automatic mode worked fine until now when the days are getting clear and sun is shining -> lights are switched off, not good.

So my dealer said that there is software update maybe March fixing this and FTM related stuff (I don't have issues with FTM). There must be other stuff also ??... more or less nav etc stuff... Dealer would not tell me the version or any other details about this update (typical dealer)
Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

In Sweden we have a law saying that your lights has to be on all the time. Even in the summer. Therefore all the cars sold makes by automatic. Many cars doesent allow the driver manually turn off the light, thats why everyone hates us when we're driving in southern Europe in the summer..

This law makes the cool 'auto-mode' useless here. When I turn on my engine, the xenenos will go on either I like it or not..

You should be able to have your car configurated like that too.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by ipp' date='Feb 23 2005, 05:53 PM
In Sweden we have a law saying that your lights has to be on all the time. Even in the summer. Therefore all the cars sold makes by automatic. Many cars doesent allow the driver manually turn off the light, thats why everyone hates us when we're driving in southern Europe in the summer..

This law makes the cool 'auto-mode' useless here. When I turn on my engine, the xenenos will go on either I like it or not..

You should be able to have your car configurated like that too.
[snapback]93480[/snapback]
Yep, that's same in Finland... but it's a bug in software that if I have lights "always on" mode they want turn off if I stop the engine and take key off. At least the audible signal reminds that lights are still on... "auto-mode" is really useless

Is it only in European models that middle front lights are on only when high beams are active. They kind of support bi-xenons in high beams mode?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Members

Hi

I am from Spain. I have the automatic system installed with bi-Xenon auto directionable lights. The problem to me is the extreme sensibility of the system.
Even on sunny days, lights tend to remain on. Adjusting for the device seems to be wrong.

As far as I know everybody in Spain have the same problem. What you get is a "Nordic" complex. as every body on the road tells you to turn lights off.

Sometimes I can not stand it any more and I turn the system off.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Auto sensors are dealer adjustable.

On my car in the i-drive menu for vehicle settings is an option for 'day running lights' when selected the headlights should be on all the time when 'auto' position is selected.

This menu option was not available until I had a software upgrade in October.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Members

I have same problem.

The dealer makev some arangements in the computer.

I have to push a lights button to the right position (second) and when I put a key in, the lights go on. When I stop the car (switch off) and key out...they still works but only parking lights. When I open the door the lights go off. I hate when I come to the corners I have manualy to switch (lights button) to the left position. On that position when i stop the car the lights go off emeditally.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

Terve Petri!

Are your xenons always on? You can't even switch to mere parking lights?
That's odd... Well, the lights can't be completely turned off in our car either..
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

just another curiosity of the light switch: if you have adaptive xenons, they will only function adaptive if the light switch is on "A".

In Holland I have my Xenons on all day, so the light switch is not at "A" but to the far right. When it is getting dark I need to set the switch to A for having the adaptive function. really stupid
Old 01-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by petri' post='93462' date='Feb 23 2005, 08:36 AM
Hi,

Today I found out that the annoyance with the driving lights is a software bug. In Finland, it's best to have driving lights on all the time, but with current software I have to switch the lights on and off manually (I hate that). Automatic mode worked fine until now when the days are getting clear and sun is shining -> lights are switched off, not good.

So my dealer said that there is software update maybe March fixing this and FTM related stuff (I don't have issues with FTM). There must be other stuff also ??... more or less nav etc stuff... Dealer would not tell me the version or any other details about this update (typical dealer)
With the MY2006 you can choose with the I-drive among car options if you want that the switch on automatic positions becomes position for daylights. In this way you do not need to switch of the lights each time you stop the engine. Moreover in this position works also the automatic high beans if your car ha as an option the high bean assistance.
I am pretty sure that with an software update you can get the same but high beans assistance on all previous versions of E60s.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Contributors

At least my one day old 525xi has the "Nordic" setting, i.e. I never need to touch the light switch, it can remain permanently in LIGHTS-ON position (as far right as the switch goes). When I fire the engine the headlights are automatically switched on and when I shut off the engine the lighs are shut off automatically again, day and night. That's the only sensible way in Finland. I never need to think about the lights.
I think this came with a new software already for MY 2005. There is actually a setting in iDrive called "Daytime running lights". The new cars imported to Finland have that setting on as default.
I heard that a new EU directive is being prepared making headlights obligatory day and night in the whole EU. Takes some years still...

Quick Reply: Driving lights on/off (NOT)