E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Don't repeat my newbie mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove my E61 to the market, and for the first time needed to lower the seat backs for cargo space. I removed the cargo cover bar through the tailgate, and marched around to the back doors to stow it. I slid the cover bar through the back doors, placing it on the back of the lowered headrests.

BIG MISTAKE!

Not having comprehended what was unsaid in the owners manual, I did not lodge the cover bar in the grooves provided on the folded seat backs. As a result the cover bar's protuberances ripped the back of the center head rest, which doubles as the forward part of the center rear seat drink holder. The cover that was torn appears to be thin vinyl over curved plastic which forms the forward part of the drink holder when the center portion of the rear seat is lowered.

I admit I was lazy and uninformed. Hopefully you who read this post will be uninformed no longer about this little risk.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by nce61' post='932808' date='Jul 4 2009, 10:45 PM
Drove my E61 to the market, and for the first time needed to lower the seat backs for cargo space. I removed the cargo cover bar through the tailgate, and marched around to the back doors to stow it. I slid the cover bar through the back doors, placing it on the back of the lowered headrests.

BIG MISTAKE!

Not having comprehended what was unsaid in the owners manual, I did not lodge the cover bar in the grooves provided on the folded seat backs. As a result the cover bar's protuberances ripped the back of the center head rest, which doubles as the forward part of the center rear seat drink holder. The cover that was torn appears to be thin vinyl over curved plastic which forms the forward part of the drink holder when the center portion of the rear seat is lowered.

I admit I was lazy and uninformed. Hopefully you who read this post will be uninformed no longer about this little risk.
That sucks. Somehow, I'm sure it will be a one-time mistake.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

First off, welcome on board nce61!

Sorry to hear what happen to your headrests. I always put the cargo cover bar in-front of the rear seats effectively balancing on the transmission tunnel. I did not realise there are specific groves on the back of the seats to secure the bar when the seats are folded, so thanks for the piece of info, I'll have to go check that out later.

Good luck getting it sorted.

On to a more positive subject, what about posting up some pics of your ride
Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Look at the bright side: you now have a perfectly good reason to get the whole interior re-done in custom two-tone leather and maybe even the the headliner wrapped in alcantara - ya know, just as a precaution
Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='933767' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:12 AM
Look at the bright side: you now have a perfectly good reason to get the whole interior re-done in custom two-tone leather and maybe even the the headliner wrapped in alcantara - ya know, just as a precaution

Sounds like the only logical way to get it sorted
Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='933773' date='Jul 6 2009, 04:29 AM

Sounds like the only logical way to get it sorted
He'll probably need new rims and an m-tech kit too now
Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Just a heads-up on a similar type of mistake here, if only (luckily) with no actual damage: when transporting the winter tyres in the boot, I put that cover piece on the actual rear seats (without flapping the backs).

I heard a small scratch when I dropped it on the seats (really carefully as my car has individual leather interior), and when I inspected it immediately, I realized that the side corners of that plastic cover case are really really sharp and can scratch the leather pretty easily.

In my case the scratch is hardly visible as I was careful, but I can imagine it can be pretty dreadful if someone throws the cover case on the seats with more force.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Contributors

funny, this guy signed up here just to tell us that. now he is gone. 1 post.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='947278' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:30 PM
funny, this guy signed up here just to tell us that. now he is gone. 1 post.
true, but at least he can claim that all of his posts here at E60.NET were helpful ...which is one claim I certainly can't make

Quick Reply: Don't repeat my newbie mistake!