E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Is this a dog guard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Haven't gotten the car yet, but am thinking of how to cordon off the trunk for our dog that will be left there. I saw this pic in the listing, is there a mesh screen built into the rear seats?

That won't hold the dog (and it'll get destroyed I'm sure) so I'll have to look for a metal barrier at some point, once I trust her enough to leave her loose back there, when I know that she won't chew on things. In the meantime, I've got a wire crate for her to keep her contained.
Attached Thumbnails Is this a dog guard?-6936699_121.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I think that's mean as a (retractable) cargo net, not a dog guard.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Haven't gotten the car yet, but am thinking of how to cordon off the trunk for our dog that will be left there. I saw this pic in the listing, is there a mesh screen built into the rear seats?

That won't hold the dog (and it'll get destroyed I'm sure) so I'll have to look for a metal barrier at some point, once I trust her enough to leave her loose back there, when I know that she won't chew on things. In the meantime, I've got a wire crate for her to keep her contained.
Yes, there is a retractable vertical net built into the cargo cover. Whether this is sturdy enough to contain your dog will depend upon the breed. Also, some large dogs may view the cargo shade as a chew toy. One reviewer stated:
"A pull-out shade hides cargo, and a pull-up net slips into roof holders to provide a haven for your pet. Attach the net only from the rear of the wagon -- and win entry into the Guinness Book if you do it in one try."
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

The net is very easy to put up and I think it is dual purpose; pet and parcels.

I have a Maltese terrier which weighs around 12 lbs and he has no trouble slipping past the net but a larger breed will not be able to, eg Labrador.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Members

I have 2 large dogs and the net guard worked to a point, but the dogs would still push their heads through the sides and drool/drop hair on the rear seat headrests!

I opted for the BMW dog gaurd in the end:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160560357189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156
I paid £75 off of ebay for a second hand one. No rattles and fits perfectly. Worth every penny.

Stu
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Stu, wow, I didn't know BMW made one for our cars. I looked thru all the accessories and didn't see one. What you have is OEM? Any chance you have the part # for it?

The nice ones I've come across so far was the Travall one, which unfortunately doesn't seem to fit cars with the sunroof apparently...

http://www.travall.co.uk/media/pdf/TDG1101.pdf

And this one by MasterLine, which I haven't found anyone who will ship to North America:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbv...l&prodid=21800
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Members

I'm afraid I don't have the part number..or to be honest, have any proof it's an OEM BMW Part. I was going off the listing info and the fact that I'd seen one go a few days earlier which had also stated it was genuine BMW. Also, there are a few listed for other BMW cars which look to be designed in the same way, and they claim to be genuine too.

Here's some pics to show it in place...You'll have to excuse the mess, I bought this car to carry dogs, and carrying dogs is what its used for!! So the drool, hair and mud stays in the car pretty much permanently!
Is this a dog guard?-img_0787.jpg
Is this a dog guard?-img_0786.jpg
Is this a dog guard?-img_0784.jpg
Is this a dog guard?-img_0785.jpg

The last pic shows a "bump" in the roof lining which may be something to do with the sunroof. If this is the case, then the first link you posted looked like the frame sat further back than mine and would therefore hit this bump.

Hope this helps!

Stu
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Fantastic pics and explanation Stu, thanks. When the car arrives, I'll check for that bump. It's got the Panoramic sunroof, so I'll check for the location of that bump.

So you don't have a sunroof, but there's a bump regardless? In which case, if your guard fits with that bump and mine has the same one, I'll keep an eye out for something like yours.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

I do have a sunroof, so I think that bump might be related to it. Not had a look inside the roof lining to find out though!

Glad the info/pics helped.

Stu
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Hi Stu, I was wondering, do you have a regular sunroof, or a panoramic sunroof? I think in Europe cars could come with either type, whereas here, only the Panoramic sunroof was available.

Quick Reply: Is this a dog guard?