E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Difficult to replace the E61

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult to replace the E61

Lately I have been thinking about replacing the E61, the choices are limited in N.A. The F11 is not sold here and I am not about to get a SUV since I don't like them. The option is to downsize to a 3 Series. So I took the kids to the local BMW dealer (hadn't been to one in 2+ years) for a fit test.

I was surprised with the interior space of the new 3 Series, tried the Sedan, Touring and GT. Touring is out of the question, very little trunk space compared to the E61. The GT is the most spacious but I hate the overall design. The 4 Gran Coupe is a sleek looking machine and a good compromise with the hatch. Is it worth it over the sedan, possibly.

The downside to all models, in Xdrive's are all auto boxes aside from the 335i (which I don't want). Come on BMW N.A., I can't even get a stick anymore???

I walked out of the dealership disappointed and will keep the E61 for a while longer...
Old 08-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

The GT 3 series you know is not based on the regular 3 series platform, right? Hence why it's so much bigger than the regular 3 / 3 wagon.

If it's a manual only high end wagon, wow, you're going to be hard pressed. Subaru is out. Maybe try a Volvo?

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...-wagon-137953/
Old 08-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Manual transmissions are going away slowly. Best to enjoy yours or just forget about it. Only new manual wagon I know of is the VW Jetta/Golf. Rumors are the next one might be AWD, TDI, manual. For it's footprint, that wagon has a lot of interior space. Of course they are no where near as comfortable or quiet or built as well but you can buy two new ones for price of a loaded new 328 wagon

E250/350 wagon. More space than E61

While new 3 series wagons are cool, they still won't have some of the nice features provided in 5 series cars such as the more comfortable "20 way comfort" seats.

You mentioned 3 GT but what about larger 5GT? I don't like how they look but maybe the functionality can trump looks for you.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
The GT 3 series you know is not based on the regular 3 series platform, right? Hence why it's so much bigger than the regular 3 / 3 wagon.

If it's a manual only high end wagon, wow, you're going to be hard pressed. Subaru is out. Maybe try a Volvo?

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...-wagon-137953/

Sexy but not very big inside for anyone really used to, and needing, the space of our E61's.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
Sexy but not very big inside for anyone really used to, and needing, the space of our E61's.
I'd have thought maybe it's between a 3 and a 5 wagon in size. Haven't seen one in person.

I agree, but then again, why would you consider a 3 series wagon if you still need the space of a 5... Hence I figured he seems to be ok with downsizing. In our case, the GT's will never work, as we've got a good sized 70 lb German Shepherd!

I've not driven a lot of SUV's, but was pretty impressed with both the handling and the cargo space in the new X3's, and had I not gotten our 5, would have probably got a new X3 a couple of years ago. Wasn't willing to fork out the big bucks for a new E350 wagon at the time.

PS You didn't say if it must have AWD or not... There's the Caddy CTS V Wagon too, besides the Outback which I mentioned earlier. But I'd totally forgo the manual to open up the field. Wagons are pretty rare already!

Last edited by Lotus99; 08-14-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Members

^^ The 3GT is much more spacious vs the 3 Touring with more cargo. I don't like SUV's so the X3 and X5 are all out. Don't like the styling of the 5 GT. I do like the 4 Gran Coupe but why isn't a proper manual offered in N.A.

They will be announcing a new Tesla dealership in Montreal soon that will open in 2015. I may just hold off until I can check out the Tesla in person. No more petrol, now I can certainly live with that.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

^ if an electric sedan would be ok then I don't think any of the parameters you mentioned are actually requirements at all. Might as well look at all sedans. Personally I think you should drive an Audi S8 or one of the big diesel sedans.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
^ if an electric sedan would be ok then I don't think any of the parameters you mentioned are actually requirements at all. Might as well look at all sedans. Personally I think you should drive an Audi S8 or one of the big diesel sedans.
LOL, yeah, I wonder how we went from a must-be-manual wagon to a fat-ass electric sedan?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Members

Quite simple when you think about it. The F31 has very limited cargo space and quite pricey for the package it is. The 3 Series GT is ugly, and the 5 Series GT is horrendous.

I like wagons and when you can't get what you want you look elsewhere.

Anyways, BMW's are not what they used to be in my book. I am disappointed in BMW N.A. for the cars they offer and the packages.

Since you laugh at the Tesla do you equally laugh at the BMW i cars?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

There's nothing wrong with the Tesla, I just don't understand how you went from I must have utility and a manual to a an electric sedan. Sounds to me as if your requirements in a car, or your needs (driving which ones you'd consider) are a bit all over the place.

For me, for example, handling was important (I came off a boaty feeling XC70 T6, and it even had the adjustable suspension), hence why I had ruled out SUV's (though as I say, you should drive the X3 first I think before crossing it off the list, and this is coming from an SUV hater too ), and utility / cargo space, hence why the 3 series / A4 Avant / a GT wouldn't cut it. We have a dog that has to go in the back. Those are the drivers in narrowing down my choices.

Quick Reply: Difficult to replace the E61