E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Diesel particulate filter I drive Message

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi All
Does anyone know what to do when the I-drive service message comes up with regards to the Diesel particulate filter?
I have a 525d from Nov-05. I know it has this device as I never see black smoke from the exhaust. In addition I hear it being cleaned occassionally (exhaust sounds a bit louder then).
So I doubt the I-drive service message means replacing it, right? As it's not a simple filter. So what am I supposed to do with this message? Simply reset it to 2 years from now and ignore it?
Thanks for any help
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

What does iDrive say (Service Indicator) about when your DPF needs to be replaced?

How many kilometers on the car?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

I think about 40K km to go. Car has currently done 165K KM

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1011031' date='Sep 18 2009, 11:08 AM
What does iDrive say (Service Indicator) about when your DPF needs to be replaced?

How many kilometers on the car?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When BMW say service it they mean replace it - and it's expensive.

When the time comes for mine I'll be taking it out, giving it a good clean with whatever will clean it and putting it back.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Members

what would happen if I just reset I drive and don't replace it?
Also is there a work instruction somewhere on how to clean it as I don't feel like spending a uge amount of money on that if the filter still seems to be working correctly when that time comes....

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1011128' date='Sep 18 2009, 12:51 PM
When BMW say service it they mean replace it - and it's expensive.

When the time comes for mine I'll be taking it out, giving it a good clean with whatever will clean it and putting it back.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Members

Just done a bit of research.

Basically the regen will burn off any soot but gradually ash will build up. The ash comes from engine oil that gets burnt.

If the DPF gets clogged the car won't be able to run properly.

Because DPF's are new you generally seem to have to by genuine very expensive replacements (just like when catalytic converters were new). Hopefully that will change over time.

For commercial vehicles the problem is just starting to crop up and there are a few companies that can clean the filters. All they do is put pulses of compressed air back through them and sometimes a good bake.

If I was you I'd try removing it, cleaning the hell out of it with compressed air then reset the iDrive and see what happens..... and keep us posted!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1014992' date='Sep 23 2009, 08:05 PM
Just done a bit of research.

Basically the regen will burn off any soot but gradually ash will build up. The ash comes from engine oil that gets burnt.

If the DPF gets clogged the car won't be able to run properly.

Because DPF's are new you generally seem to have to by genuine very expensive replacements (just like when catalytic converters were new). Hopefully that will change over time.

For commercial vehicles the problem is just starting to crop up and there are a few companies that can clean the filters. All they do is put pulses of compressed air back through them and sometimes a good bake.

If I was you I'd try removing it, cleaning the hell out of it with compressed air then reset the iDrive and see what happens..... and keep us posted!
I agree, remove and clean then reset, do not take it to BMW well unless you fancy a massive bill!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Members

Thanks for the info
Isn't removing it going to be difficult?
Just like a catalytic converter I assume the DPF is part of the exhaust system? So like removing the muffler I'd need a torch?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='1015643' date='Sep 24 2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the info
Isn't removing it going to be difficult?
Just like a catalytic converter I assume the DPF is part of the exhaust system? So like removing the muffler I'd need a torch?
In theory it's a service item that just unbolts, but being part of the exhaust I suspect it might be a bit stubborn....
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by JasonH' post='1019416' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:04 PM
In theory it's a service item that just unbolts, but being part of the exhaust I suspect it might be a bit stubborn....
FYI my 535d has done 173,500 miles (279,000km) - I reset the DPF warning without replacing the DPF at c.120,000 miles and now 53,000 miles on there's no detectable difference in performance and emissions still show zero particulates.

Quick Reply: Diesel particulate filter I drive Message