E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

"The Death of the Station Wagon"

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d 08/2005 (218hp/500nm)

I'm from over there in Europe. And for me my E61 530d (diesel 218hp/500nm) is the perfect combination of practicality, power, luxury, handling and looks.

I feel the handling of the E61 considerably surpasses most SUV's. For me the drivability of my car far outweights the benefits of a SUV. Anyway, the cost of petrol and diesel is also at the higest levels ever atm. 2,18 USD per liter of petrol and 1,74 USD pr. liter diesel. So no V8 for me haha.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 08/2005 (218hp/500nm)

Dbl post. sry.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

Originally Posted by Theo
The 9-5 looks great indeed, unfortunately not in the same league as the 5, A6, E though, rather half a segment lower. But can you explain the trailer comment, as far as I know the E61 is allowed to tow 2000kg's max, not in the US?

Thanks
...Not here in North America is the answer from BMW, Audi and Mercedes, and this has been the policy for the past number of years. Though I've never received a definitive answer as to why this is the case from those here who sell the cars, others have told me it's a liability issue here in the USA ( could it be a perceived unique genetic makeup which requires most Americans to need a truck if they want to tow a trailer-who knows?). As an aside, I do tow a small Boston Whaler, a utility trailer or a 420 class and other sailboats with my '07 but, it took a whole lot of doing to find and install a hitch and wiring on my Wagon. Seems the only way the distributers of these German brands will allow us to tow a trailer is to have us buy one of their SUVs (trucks?). Incidentally, I attended the Chicago Show this past weekend and, at the Audi display, I did see an A4 but was told the 2112 A6 Avant will not be available in USA. Mercedes did, however, show a very nice E350 Wagon.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Members

All of my colleagues, friends, etc. give me a hard time when I pull up in my 530xit. Alpina White with Brown leather, panny roof. What they fail to realize is that the wagon is making a comeback. So I chuckle everytime I see a new Wagon on the road, and more popping up everyday! I'm happy with my recent purchase. Considering I went through a lot to find it, and was deadset on getting the car. This is one of my first posts on the forum, so don't blast me too hard! I am shy about posting, as I got killed on a recent comment on a youtube video. I didn't realize people were so mean.

Anyway...I plan to post some pics of 'the Wagon' soon.
Here is an article I found on the comeback of the Wagon in the U.S.:
http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/25/new...es_wagons.html
Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by enolamyecart
All of my colleagues, friends, etc. give me a hard time when I pull up in my 530xit. Alpina White with Brown leather, panny roof. What they fail to realize is that the wagon is making a comeback. So I chuckle everytime I see a new Wagon on the road, and more popping up everyday! I'm happy with my recent purchase. Considering I went through a lot to find it, and was deadset on getting the car. This is one of my first posts on the forum, so don't blast me too hard! I am shy about posting, as I got killed on a recent comment on a youtube video. I didn't realize people were so mean.

Anyway...I plan to post some pics of 'the Wagon' soon.
Here is an article I found on the comeback of the Wagon in the U.S.:
http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/25/new...es_wagons.html
I love my Touring and wouldn't give it up for anything (until the warranty runs out!)

Your article is an interesting one, but it is two years old and the economy has changed a bit since Feb 2009 . In addition, of the four models mentioned, the 535xiT has been discontinued, the Volvo is on its way out and the the 2011 AMG E63 wagon is a limited edition, special order only model. Of the four, only the Subaru Outback remains in production.

[going slightly off topic here]
On the subject of the E63 - that's a beauty and a possible replacement for my E61 round about 2015. 507 HP, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds! It beats the pants off of the Audi R8. My only complaint about Mercedes is the idiotic and enormous Flava Flav clock wasting space on the instrument cluster. The C63 makes much better use of the space:

C63
"The Death of the Station Wagon"-amg_c63.jpg

E63
"The Death of the Station Wagon"-amg_e63.jpg

2011 E63 exterior:
"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg.jpg

"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg2.jpg

"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg3.jpg

"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg4.jpg

"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg5.jpg

Why the eff can't BMW offer an awesome BBK?!?!
"The Death of the Station Wagon"-e63_amg6.jpg

The BMW enthusiast crowd are generally sedate and we love to welcome new members. Welcome abouard and post away buddy!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Members

Anyone considered a Cadillac CTS-V wagon? Only comes in RWD but 556 HP 551 ft/lb torque for ~$65K which is close to standard E class wagon. Can't get the AMG E class in US - and it would be $85K+.

I've never owned a Cadillac (have a 2008 E61 with Dinan Stage II s/w). BMW told me today they may not honor their extended warranty coverage or CPO my car due to the Dinan s/w. In the US in 2012, there will be no BMW 5 wagon or Audi 6 wagon - so what are my choices? Since I can't get BMW factory warranty, I'm thinking of trading it in next year for a CPO'd 2009 535 wagon.

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Members

The Cadillac CTS/ CTS-V wagon is a great alternative. When we were looking for a new wagon, we test drove a CTS wagon and were very impressed. We went with the 535 because it was a bit bigger and more powerful. I recommended the CTS Wagon to my parents, who had never owned a Cadillac and who had been loyal Mercedes owners for decades, including 3 wagons in the 1980s. They have had it for about a year now and love it. Paint quality is superb, the cargo area is well finished, and the car is refined overall. It is also substantially cheaper than a 535.

CTS-V wagon . . . if I was in the market right now, I would get one in a heartbeat.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
Anyone considered a Cadillac CTS-V wagon? Only comes in RWD but 556 HP 551 ft/lb torque for ~$65K which is close to standard E class wagon. Can't get the AMG E class in US - and it would be $85K+.

I've never owned a Cadillac (have a 2008 E61 with Dinan Stage II s/w). BMW told me today they may not honor their extended warranty coverage or CPO my car due to the Dinan s/w. In the US in 2012, there will be no BMW 5 wagon or Audi 6 wagon - so what are my choices? Since I can't get BMW factory warranty, I'm thinking of trading it in next year for a CPO'd 2009 535 wagon.

Thoughts?
Just curious where you read that the A6 wagon will no longer be available?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
Just curious where you read that the A6 wagon will no longer be available?
On the Autoweek daily drive web site. The had a review of the 2012 Audi A6 (very nice - longer wheelbase, wider, roomier, but 80 lbs lighter) and said that Audi was not planning to bring in the new version of the Avant.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
On the Autoweek daily drive web site. The had a review of the 2012 Audi A6 (very nice - longer wheelbase, wider, roomier, but 80 lbs lighter) and said that Audi was not planning to bring in the new version of the Avant.
That's it I'm going to move to Europe!!!

As I was convinced our E61 replacment would have been the A6. Now back to small SUV (X3 or Q5).

Really don't get NA buyers!

Quick Reply: "The Death of the Station Wagon"