E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

"The Death of the Station Wagon"

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/15/auto...wagon.fortune/

I read something on this forum stating the less than 800 5-series Tourings were sold in the US in 2010. I find this hard to believe, but perhaps there is something to the statistic.
---

FORTUNE -- The news came like a blow to the gut for this child of 1950s suburbia:

Volvo, the company most associated with station wagons for the last 20 years, will stop selling wagons in the U.S. The market is drying up.

The Volvo wagon had been on life support for months. After dropping the larger V70 Volvo in 2010, Doug Speck, CEO of Volvo Cars of North America, told Automotive News he was giving the V50 another year because there "is a bit more energy in the small wagon segment."

Not enough, apparently. Volvo, which was sold to China's Geely in 2010, sold just 480 V50s last year, about two per dealer.

Other makers have been quietly dropping wagons for years as their customers flee to more utilitarian vehicles.

Edmunds.com, the online-car buying site, lists 115 kinds of SUVs and 92 types of crossovers but only 31 varieties of station wagon. Even that count is suspect. It includes a Ford Flex, which is a minivan in disguise, and the bizarre Dodge Caliber.

Growing up in a Connecticut commuter town after World War II in an active family of seven, station wagons were the only practical forms of conveyance.

Ford Country Squires, with their acres of imitation wood, were particularly prized. Sportier owners displayed yacht flags representing their initials on the driver's side door. Black Labradors and Golden Retrievers were practically standard equipment.

At 16, I took my driver's test in a brown Plymouth Suburban wagon with a rear-facing third seat and a three-speed manual transmission. Luckily, parallel parking wasn't part of the exam.

Somewhat later, the Plymouth's transmission linkage developed the habit of seizing up when it got warm. The driver had a choice of wrapping his hands in rags, diving under the hood, and shaking the rods until they freed up -- or driving home in first gear.

I shudder to think how we flirted with disaster in those pre-safety-conscious days. On long trips, my parents would fold down the wagon's seats and outfit the passenger compartment with pillows and blankets, where we slid around, un-seat-belted.

Long before Ford (F, Fortune 500) got out of the wood-grain-paneling business in 1991, Volvos had become the wagon of choice.

Safety had emerged an issue, and so had the environment. Volvos had the twin advantages of looking sensible and being upscale at the same time. It was a boxy European import that looked as wholesome as a bowl of granola.

Wagons were part of Volvo's DNA. As the story went, the reason Volvo sedans looked so boxy is that designers would style the wagon first, and then cut off the tailgate and add a trunk.

What happened to the Volvo wagon is a classic case of automotive Darwinism.

American buyers first turned away from station wagons during the 1973 oil crisis. Their extreme length, emphasized by long rear overhangs to accommodate a third seat, made them natural targets.

In the 1980s, the minivan came along and stole the people-mover business.

SUVs moved to the fore in the 1990s. Far more utilitarian, they offered a lot more cargo space, a command seating position, and four-wheel-drive.

And the 2000s were the decade of the crossover, combining the best features of both van and SUV. With their combination of capability and capacity, they remain one of the fastest-growing segments.

Despite its enduring image for safety and solidity, Volvo has been behind the automotive curve for decades.

With annual sales of fewer than 400,000 cars, it never enjoyed the scale it needed to support R&D or frequent model changes.

It was slow to move production out of high-cost Sweden and never built cars in the U.S., its largest market.

Product innovation came slowly too. Volvo never built an SUV, it didn't get around to all-wheel-drive until well after Audi and Subaru, and didn't introduce its first crossover until 1998.

Nor did its 1999 sale to Ford help matters. Neither party was able to benefit. Ford tried to integrate Swedish engineering into its cars but found it expensive and prone to weightiness.

And Ford technology never made it across the Atlantic, likely because of an unwillingness to share and fear of diluting Volvo's image.

Volvo probably did itself a disservice by running testimonials from owners who drove their Volvos for years and years. When you put a million miles or more on a car, it limits the opportunity for repeat business.

Audi, BMW, and Mercedes still offer wagons for sale in America, although they don't call them that. At Audi, "avant" is the preferred designation; BMW uses "touring," and Mercedes likes "estate."

Sport wagons, though, have never made much of an impact. Cadillac's CTS is a spectacular offering, but its tightly tailored body and rear liftgate have limited its appeal.

Volvo plans to soldier on with its well-regarded line of crossovers: the XC60, XC70, and XC90.

Before I get carried away by nostalgia, caution should be observed in writing off an entire vehicle segment, because they do have a habit of coming back to life.

The 1976 Cadillac Eldorado was lionized as the last American convertible -- until Lee Iacocca brought out the 1982 Chrysler LeBaron ragtop.

The station wagon may rise again.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

That is way too much for me to read, but let me say this: I am extremely happy that there is a serious station wagon culture in Europe.

The fact that there is an AUDI RS 6 Avant, a BMW M5 E61 and the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon here, just goes to show how station wagon crazy we are here. Awesome!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
That is way too much for me to read, but let me say this: I am extremely happy that there is a serious station wagon culture in Europe.

The fact that there is an AUDI RS 6 Avant, a BMW M5 E61 and the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon here, just goes to show how station wagon crazy we are here. Awesome!
+1

In addition: In Europe, you can get ANY type of station wagon you want - from small (sub-compact) to large (more space than 5-Touring), from basic trim to proper luxury, and from 2.0 diesel engine achieving 60 mpg to the 500+ hp monsters mentioned above. In fact, in the middle segment, more than half of all vehicles sold are wagons. And this is good that way.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

I'm not sure why Americans are so obsessed with the SUV. Perhaps if/when gasoline reaches a European level of $8 per gallon, the SUV will lose its allure and folks will begin to gravitate back to the more practical Touring/Estate/Avant for their personal cargo carrying needs
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
I'm not sure why Americans are so obsessed with the SUV. Perhaps if/when gasoline reaches a European level of $8 per gallon, the SUV will lose its allure and folks will begin to gravitate back to the more practical Touring/Estate/Avant
Like a 320d Touring, or 520d Touring, perhaps?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

i dont think that we are obsessed with the the suv i believe Detroit told us we needed it. Theres a long list of things available or now deemed necessities that i never asked for in the first place.. HDTV,SUV,SMARTPHONES, And pills for ailments that i never knew i had. sorry for the rant..
Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

It's pretty sad the limited choices that we have. Not only are we limited to usually one engine choice, we have less options all together no more 5 series wagon oops "Touring", as the op already wrote Volvo has trimmed their offerings.

I will most likely replace our E61 with an A6 Avant down the road as Audi is the only brand that actually puts an effort in their wagon line up. A shame we can't get the S4 Avant here. I recently replaced my E90 sedan with a 2011 A4 Avant Sline black/black (getting it next friday).

And most Americans will not get rid of their SUV's I believe they will end up buying a small car for everyday driving and keep the SUV as my friend in Boston did. He has an Expedition and recently bought a Civic for everyday commutes! The money he saves on gas pays for the lease on the Civic!!!

I bought a Thule cargo box for when we need extra cargo space not a house on wheels!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

To our friends in locations other than North America: please don't rub it in; we already envy your many choices. All is not lost however, Audi, Acura, BMW, Saab and VW still offer small wagons here in North America and, though the 5 Series wagon is gone, there is the Audi 6 and MB E. Additionally, the soon to be introduced Saab 9-5 wagon sure looks slick (and unlike BMW, Audi and MB, I'm sure Saab will allow us to tow a trailer with their new wagon).
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing this information with us.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Al T.
... Additionally, the soon to be introduced Saab 9-5 wagon sure looks slick (and unlike BMW, Audi and MB, I'm sure Saab will allow us to tow a trailer with their new wagon).
The 9-5 looks great indeed, unfortunately not in the same league as the 5, A6, E though, rather half a segment lower. But can you explain the trailer comment, as far as I know the E61 is allowed to tow 2000kg's max, not in the US?

Thanks

Quick Reply: "The Death of the Station Wagon"