E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Oh no... They didn't call me!

Thankfully, my insurance company pays me 78 Euros per day when I don't have my car.

Yes, the M5 cluster is a PITA in situations like this, adding ??? to the labor costs. But anytime something needs to be coded (like the new battery), the only way that the coding will work, is if the original gauge cluster is installed. Then when they re-install the M5 cluster, they trick it into thinking that it is meant to be in diesel, 6 cylinder, E61 with a Step-tronic gearbox.

Strange error codes will come up too. Like the brakes have worn out way past the wear sensors (smaller brakes), the transmission is broken (not SMG), and the engine oil is empty (smaller oil capacity in a 530d). There are some other faults that were pretty funny.

Strangely, we have never figured out how to get the oil temperature gauge to work. Works fine in a 530i, 545i and 550i withe the M5 cluster.

Crap. I have hijacked my own thread...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

At the risk of appearing completely dense, why does a replacement battery require coding to the car?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kErb
At the risk of appearing completely dense, why does a replacement battery require coding to the car?
The car has an intelligent battery charging system, consisting of the software and a IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to the negative terminal of the battery.

In simple terms, when you have the old battery in the car (and your car knows it as it was registered in the factory), it is charged more intensively as it gets older. When you then put in a new battery and don't let the car know, it continues with the same charge rate and "overcharges" the new battery. You won't get any error codes or notice anything right away, but your new battery will be damaged over time and its life will be reduced.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by mmitev
The car has an intelligent battery charging system, consisting of the software and a IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to the negative terminal of the battery.

In simple terms, when you have the old battery in the car (and your car knows it as it was registered in the factory), it is charged more intensively as it gets older. When you then put in a new battery and don't let the car know, it continues with the same charge rate and "overcharges" the new battery. You won't get any error codes or notice anything right away, but your new battery will be damaged over time and its life will be reduced.
Thanks for the explanation mmitev. The things you learn on this forum never cease to amaze
Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by kErb
Thanks for the explanation mmitev. The things you learn on this forum never cease to amaze
+1 on that! thanks mmitev!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Well, 400 Euros later, and I got the E61 back.

Dead battery, plain and simple.

The new battery was not coded after all. Rather, they "register" the battery to the vehicle.

They didn't have time to change my brake fluid, so that will have to wait.

Going to Sweden tomorrow night...
Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
Going to Sweden tomorrow night...
You're most welcome!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by narvselius
You're most welcome!
Well, just a quick trip to the Stockholm skärgården for a 1 hour meeting... I have to take the E61, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out there from Arlanda.

Next month, the normal 1900km road trip in the Kingdom, but no meetings in Malmö or Copenhagen.