E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Comaptible parts - Dec 04 E61

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm trying to buy a UK car to use in Germany (British Forces).

I need to confirm some things as I may be able to get my LHD parts sorted cheaper.

Would the headlamps from a Nov 2010 E60/E61 fit an 2004 E60?

Will 16" 3-series wheels and tyres fit an E61?

Thanks
Lee

PS. I did a search but it keeps telling me the terms are too short to search on.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

I'm quite sure that our headlights can be set to LHD/RHD mode, so there wouldn't be a need for new lights.

Those '10 headlights will fit but will require cable adapters and coding to function anyway.

Tires and wheels are an entirely different story, you'll need full wheel size data incl. ET etc. to verify compatibility..

(There are no LHD specific tires BTW )
Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

1. Using the approximate year and month of build of each car check bmwfans.info to see what headlamps were fitted and compare the part numbers. Pretty sure pre and post LCI lamps are different though.

2. What engine is fitted - minimum wheel sizes go up as larger engined cars have bigger brakes. Again use bmwfans.info to check the smallest wheel size available from the factory.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Three series wheels have the wrong offset for a 5 series and the tyre sizes are generally smaller as well.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Members

Thanks for the info. I have no choice to but to fit LHD lamps as I will be here for more than 6 months so must comply with local lighting issues. Will take a look at the bmwfans.info site.

After posting I found a thread with all of the sizes and offsets in, I can see I need 5-series only.

It's a 2004 530d SE with 218bhp and currently has somwe 19" BMW Performance wheels, I think they are Style 296 ones. They are obviously not winter suitable so need winter rims and tyres. I assume I can fit 16" on the 530d, I suspect though the 535d is 17 minimum.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Beastlee
Thanks for the info. I have no choice to but to fit LHD lamps as I will be here for more than 6 months so must comply with local lighting issues. Will take a look at the bmwfans.info site.
From your manual:
Attached Thumbnails Comaptible parts - Dec 04 E61-e60_headlights_rhd-lhd.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Members

Theo, thank but my car won't be UK registered any longer so I have to fit LHD lamps. There's no way round it with this adjuster as the testing rules will fail the car without the full LHD pattern. Unless BMW have some special lenses this won't actually convert it to LHD.

If anyone can test it and see if the flick changes side, as opposed to it becoming a flat beam that would be a huge help.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

Beastlee, you sure about this on the lights?
I didn't think that there were L/H and R/H drive light packages and that you just flicked the lever in the lights (both in or both out) depending on which side of the road you are driving.
May be different for E60/E61 but my cousins E39 Hella Halogen (Angel Eye) headlights in his French car is the same part number as in my UK E39 (when I had it) because we had a similar debate.
Hey, if the German testing station is telling you this then, so be it.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Are you sure on the 3-series wheels issue too?

My 530d is currently running 16" wheels and tyres which are the recommended 5-series winter wheel set up from BMW, but which are actually 3-series wheels.

As it happens, they sit comfortably inside the wheelarches, so the offset is obvioulsy not the same - but it's well within safe parameters and they clear my brakes by miles.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 AM
Members

Sorry all, the auto-subscribe hadn't worked so I didn't realise I'd had replies.

I do keep seeing that BMW actually did the converter properly which is leading me to think that this may well be possible. I'll call Park Lane and find out if they fit them on the ones they are doing for the same purposes.

Kell, could you offer some details on the exact setup you have please?

If I don't need lights I am gutted as I could have bought the 535d I was originally going for.

Quick Reply: Comaptible parts - Dec 04 E61