E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xiT, 16 c300, 05 SLK350
Model Year: .
Engine: .

Originally Posted by djmanila
funny thing is there is very little (none) price difference on the ISC fronts only...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-5-Serie...ZXm2Sa&vxp=mtr
Actually, the "fronts only" option can be had for $645 + shipping, if ordered directly from ISC. Sometimes "Fleabay" is not your friend...

ISC Suspension Control Arms Wheel Spacers Brakes & More
Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi E61
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by ///Rogu3
Actually, the "fronts only" option can be had for $645 + shipping, if ordered directly from ISC. Sometimes "Fleabay" is not your friend...

ISC Suspension Control Arms Wheel Spacers Brakes & More
nice, most sites had the fronts only as the same price too.

Might still go for the whole kit though to get the rear shocks.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535xi 6MT, '81 Scirocco Turbo Ragtop
Model Year: 2010

Back from the dead!

I may be forced to address my rear suspension earlier than expected. My bags - especially the driver's side - seem to be losing the ability to maintain pressure.

If I had my druthers I'd just go for the KWs and call it good because of their proven results and longevity. But the ISCs seem to be holding their own to this point

Can those who have accumulated more "seat time" on the ISCs - especially Xi users - provide an update? Please include your ISC-specific specs if you don't mind.

@Pocholin - I'm hoping to hear more from you specifically as I've just entered your stated demographic last week!

Thanks! Jeff
Old 05-20-2018, 11:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Jeff,

I'll be glad to provide feedback. I got my coilovers installed around November 2015. Absorbing bumps and dampening, have been hold up well. However, the ability to adjust ride height has been lost after 1 full year of not adjusting them. I can no longer loosen up the rings (any of the 3 on either side), they are seized. I just email ISC to get see if I can send the front coilovers back to them so they can inspect them and adjust the ride height...and learn longevity issues of their coilovers. I'm waiting to hear from them.

Overall a good experience, but I think the ride height needs to be exercised twice a year to keep things alive. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 535xi 6MT, '81 Scirocco Turbo Ragtop

Just out of curiosity, do you feel that being exposed to Illinois winters may have accelerated any of the seizing you're experiencing? I'm not saying that that should be understandable, but merely a data point for me as I'm in Californistan! lol
Old 05-21-2018, 04:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by gamblinfool
Just out of curiosity, do you feel that being exposed to Illinois winters may have accelerated any of the seizing you're experiencing? I'm not saying that that should be understandable, but merely a data point for me as I'm in Californistan! lol
I certainly think so. In fact, I will try putting those protective sleeves next winter.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by gamblinfool
I live in Indiana and have had the ISCs on my 07 530 wagon since late 2016, so 2 winters. I installed the covers from new but also covered the threaded body with copper paste from new and they adjust fine.

The provided spanners aren't terribly durable and bend with higher torque. Functionally it's not a big deal since the jam nut torque shouldn't be too high but if something is bound up that could be an issue.

I've put about 30k miles on the suspension. It obviously depends on what you're going for but I think a slightly softer spring rate would improve the ride for what I was looking for (~stock, just 1.5" lower). I went as loose on the spring rate as I could and backed out the damping to just a few clicks away from full soft. It feels great on smooth roads but expansion cracks, potholes, etc are a little too harsh. If the bumps/joints are spaced just so I get a good bit of buck boarding. Contrast that with my GF's 2013 335i with stock springs that handles the same bumps quite well.

Overall, I can't say that I wholeheartedly endorse but I've not ridden in a KW equipped car to say that's what I should have done. It seems the Bilstein replacement strut kit is universally panned as garbage, so for me it's a question of whether the KW reputation is worth $1500 (over the price of the ISCs). Knowing then what I know now I would have gotten KWs.

Cheers,

Andy
07 530 ex-xit
Old 08-27-2018, 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: E39 M5 / E61 535xi

Quick advice - I'm about to pick up a set of front coils / rear shocks for my E61 and wanted something comfortable but a touch more firm.

Do you guys recommend street comfort or street sport?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM
New Members

nizmungen,

Street Comfort

I lived almost 3 years with street sport and suspension is too short, makes it bouncy at times. Street Comfort is much better, since you can adjust dampening, you can make it "a touch more firm", as you mentioned in your post.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: E39 M5 / E61 535xi

Originally Posted by pocholin
nizmungen,

Street Comfort

I lived almost 3 years with street sport and suspension is too short, makes it bouncy at times. Street Comfort is much better, since you can adjust dampening, you can make it "a touch more firm", as you mentioned in your post.
Perfect thanks for the feedback. I've been through this thread dozens of times now and just wanted to get some more updated information.

Quick Reply: Coilover Roll Call - KW - FK - JRZ - ISC - Lets hear your Review!