E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Center storage compartment - Is it cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Hi folks,
Just wondered if anyone has noticed whether the temperature in the storage compartment immediately below the center arm rest under the phone cradle (if you haveon) is meant to be cooler than the rest of the car. There appears to be a small square shaped vent but no air coming in - I just assumed it would simply nicely cooled air to keep my chocolate and can of coke cool

I've asked a couple of different dealer who seem to suggest it will be warmer

Is there anyone that could provide some guidence on this?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kkrazykool' post='331898' date='Sep 7 2006, 09:31 AM
Hi folks,
Just wondered if anyone has noticed whether the temperature in the storage compartment immediately below the center arm rest under the phone cradle (if you haveon) is meant to be cooler than the rest of the car. There appears to be a small square shaped vent but no air coming in - I just assumed it would simply nicely cooled air to keep my chocolate and can of coke cool

I've asked a couple of different dealer who seem to suggest it will be warmer

Is there anyone that could provide some guidence on this?
The little vent is meant to keep it cold so you can put a coke or whatever in there. You can close it and then it should be the same temp. as the rest of the car.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I would experiment with a thermometer.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Should be the same temp like the res of the car, so it's not really getting cold.
Anyways, when you turn your A/C on cold, mine works...
Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='331929' date='Sep 7 2006, 06:36 PM
Should be the same temp like the res of the car, so it's not really getting cold.
Anyways, when you turn your A/C on cold, mine works...
One thing to remember is that the temperature inside the box is controlled but the temperature controller on the rear.
I once had chocolates in there and while the front of the air was quite cool someone had turned the rear of the car to Hot, guess what, chocolate milkshake.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='331934' date='Sep 7 2006, 10:46 AM
One thing to remember is that the temperature inside the box is controlled but the temperature controller on the rear.
I once had chocolates in there and while the front of the air was quite cool someone had turned the rear of the car to Hot, guess what, chocolate milkshake.
yummy
Old 09-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='331934' date='Sep 7 2006, 07:46 PM
Yes, that's correct.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

thanks for the responses folks, looks like another trip to the dealer to get them to have another look as the temp in there is always warmer!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributors

As far as I know the center storage compartment is cooled only if you have the advanced air con, which is standard in some countries but not in the UK I think. If you don?t have it??

The use of this feature is discussible. At least when this compartment is nearly completely filled with a snap in adapter and a mobile phone. Ok, the phone is cool......

Matts
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

I think the Temp either depends on the blue/red setting in i-drive or the setting in the rear seat vents.
BTW, it's great for sunglasses.

Quick Reply: Center storage compartment - Is it cooler?