E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Car programming went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

My car has been sitting at the dealer all night, because of an update (Ipod, Dutch language). Just talked to the mechanic, and it all went wrong, so they had to start over again. He wasn't sure if I'm getting my car back today .

He also noticed that the one (rear) side of my car was sitting lower than the other side. I assume this is because of the self leveling suspension. He assured me that it was already that was before he started programming.
Does anybody have an idea why?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Just picked up my car.

The good news is: the Ipod works and all menu's are in Dutch (i.o. English/German).
The bad news: the car was sitting really low on the left rear side. After driving a couple of km's, it was level again, so I suspect there is something wrong with the air suspension.

Has anubody got experience in this?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Odd.

Drive around for awhile (15km), and then when you park in your spot, quickly get out of the car and see/listen to what happens.

You should hear some hydraulic sounds (air system) and the rear should raise itself up.

At least that is what my car does quite often.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

Very strange. This morning, the car was level, when I parked in my garage. Could be due to the programming.
I hope his was one time only, as the air suspension is quite expensive!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Members

Glad the programming went fine after all. Mine was reprogrammed to the latest version and updated to Dutch few weeks ago. Bonus is that the voice control now also is in Dutch (at first they said it would require some new module @ high costs...).

Still need to have the MP3 retrofit done. At first they said it couldn't be done. Now they say I can't be done with 2004/2005 models. Which all is bullshit as we know

My suspension compressor and control unit were replaced under warrenty two weeks ago. The car would sit very low and I would receive frequen failure notices on the I drive screen. Now all is fine again.

As long as you don't have failure notices you should be fine. Do be aware that the air suspension is prone to fail somewhere after 100K km's I was told. (not by BMW offcourse...).
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='779391' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:49 PM
Odd.

Drive around for awhile (15km), and then when you park in your spot, quickly get out of the car and see/listen to what happens.

You should hear some hydraulic sounds (air system) and the rear should raise itself up.

At least that is what my car does quite often.
+1 same here. Was told this is correct behaviour. (cosmetic reasons?)
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='780943' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:27 AM
+1 same here. Was told this is correct behaviour. (cosmetic reasons?)
Yeah, I really have no clue as to why it does this (freaked me out the first time), but I was told that it is normal.

Now, I think that it is actually quite cool! The rear suspension made its "sound" when I stopped to pick up a friend, and he thought that it sounded like a big truck.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='780942' date='Jan 30 2009, 09:26 AM
Glad the programming went fine after all. Mine was reprogrammed to the latest version and updated to Dutch few weeks ago. Bonus is that the voice control now also is in Dutch (at first they said it would require some new module @ high costs...).

Still need to have the MP3 retrofit done. At first they said it couldn't be done. Now they say I can't be done with 2004/2005 models. Which all is bullshit as we know

My suspension compressor and control unit were replaced under warrenty two weeks ago. The car would sit very low and I would receive frequen failure notices on the I drive screen. Now all is fine again.

As long as you don't have failure notices you should be fine. Do be aware that the air suspension is prone to fail somewhere after 100K km's I was told. (not by BMW offcourse...).

Mp3 will be no problem if you have navigation. A couple of cars ago, I had a 10/2003 530d (e60) with business nav (M-ASK) that played MP3's (also Mp3 DVD's).

In my experience, the airsuspension of e39's break down around 200k km's.