E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Canadian availability? Some other q's...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks;
Though I'm still 6 to 8 months from seriously looking to replace my 2003 Passat W8 Variant, I've started looking into some candidate cars. Contenders at the moment include a new B6 Passat 3.6 4motion, Volvo V70 T6, Audi A6 Avant, and, of course, an E61 530xi. (A 535xi simply won't be in the budget...!)

The Bimmer really seems to be in a league of its own - reflected by the price - and what really attracted me is the apparent frugality of the N52 engine (at least when tallied against its competitors... and of course my W8...). I haven't owned a BMW since my 1978 320i... but the E61 meets and exceeds all my criteria - safe, practical, performance oriented, AWD, etc.

Now, in evaluating the Canadian marketplace, there just aren't too many out there... I've found just 3, all CPO'd through BMW Canada. Does anybody know actual production numbers/sales figures for '06 and '07 E61s? What are the chances of me actually finding a 6-speed manual (my preference, as my W8 is a 6MT as well)?

For fuel efficiency, what range of "real world" numbers can be expected? I'd certainly go for a diesel (my daily is a Jetta TDI), but of course... not an option in Canada (yet?).

From '06 to '07... any key differences? Any must have additions? When was the switch to the N53 motor - was that a mid-year change ("LCI" in your forum speak...)?

Any other Ontario members around who would care to share their BMW ownership/dealership impressions? I'm in Ottawa, btw.

I had some other q's... but can't recall right now...

Anyway... thanks for the help. Looking forward to learning more about these beautiful cars.

Cheers!
Scott.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Scott,

I'm in Toronto. I placed the order for my 2008 BMW 535xi wagon in April and I am still waiting. At first it was supposed to be "May production", I pushed the car back into June production intentionally, and BMW swore it would be here in July. I got a call from them last month saying there are not enough "allocations" for Canadian Market and the car would be produced in July - I would get delivery in mid August. My dealership told me the BMW plant is at capacity and allocation is scarse.

As far as I know, 2007 and 1/2 was the debut of the 535. I test drove the 535 and fell in love with the smoothness and power deliver of the engine. I think the 530 (3.0L 255hp engine) is still "perky", but I'm addictive to power, so I chose the 535

One issue I had with my dealership is that I ordered "night vision" as my option, but they could not install the camera on the sport bumper which comes with Sport Package. I've called/e-mailed distribution, BMW Canada and everyone I could to get this option installed, but the intercooler was in the way.

Good Luck with your puchase.

BTW: I got 5% off the list price in my negotiations, the dealer would not budge on more.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Members

Thanks Andy - wow... I hope you weren't in a hurry for the car! I wonder what "allocations for the Cdn market" means? Sounds as if they will only build a "batch" of cars for shipment, instead of having to ship a one-off?

I agree completely about the addiction to power -- and have no doubt that in the ~4100lb xiT the twin turbo is a real boon -- but it comes with a price that is, alas, out of my reach.

Also, on the topic of engines... further reading indicates that the direct-injected N53 530xi (268hp) did not actually make it to North America - unfortunate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N53

Some of the options do seem a bit frustrating - roof rails deleted with the M package, for example, and the Premium Pkg "comfort" seats superceding the sport seats when ordered along with the M package - and, it seems, your night vision issue.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be surprised how comfortable the "comfort seats" are. Yes, the Sport Seats look stunning, and they don't have that "wrinkle" look to them like the comfort seats do. In terms of holding the driver in place I think they both do the same job ... afterall if you need more support, you can always inflate the thigh bolsters. When I test drove the 550i (with Sport Seats), they almost felt like sitting on several layers of carboard, but to each his own I guess.

The roof rails I will definately add on, its a dealer installed option and I don't think its that expensive ($300 at most). I definately will use the ski rack when we go skiing.

The Night Vision can be had on the car as long as you don't order the Sport Package. The 550i can be had with Night Vision option because even though it has the Sport Bumper, it doesn't have Intercooler in the way of mounting the Night Vision Camera. I tried telling BMW that I will sign off on a waiver, just prewire the system, and I'll figure it out later ... they would not do it. I've even inquired about an "add-on kit" for the Night Vision, and it cannot be done. Same thing with Active Cruise Control, the intercooler is in the way. Bummer, but I guess you have to live with it. I wonder if any European Countries have the option of Night Vision along with the 535xi configuration.

Oh another thing: Active Steering (on the 550i I test drove) is simply awesome. With AS the car responds to you telepathically ... its amazing and I wish I had that option on the xi model (also not available).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Members

Hi Andy - did you see this thread, re: installing the roof rails? I hope for your sake this isn't still typical!
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56185
Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
gaj
Members

I took me over 8 months to find our '06 530 xiT with the M-pkg here in Calgary.

We've taken the decision to have the rails installed per my original topic http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56185

In short...$600 for parts, $200 for paint and 6- 7 hours of labour...all installed at the dealership discretion as BMW Canada does not officially recommend the retrofit.

Good luck finding the vechile....be patient and act quickly if you come across one.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='617058' date='Jul 5 2008, 04:36 PM
You'd be surprised how comfortable the "comfort seats" are. Yes, the Sport Seats look stunning, and they don't have that "wrinkle" look to them like the comfort seats do. In terms of holding the driver in place I think they both do the same job ... afterall if you need more support, you can always inflate the thigh bolsters. When I test drove the 550i (with Sport Seats), they almost felt like sitting on several layers of carboard, but to each his own I guess.

The roof rails I will definately add on, its a dealer installed option and I don't think its that expensive ($300 at most). I definately will use the ski rack when we go skiing.

The Night Vision can be had on the car as long as you don't order the Sport Package. The 550i can be had with Night Vision option because even though it has the Sport Bumper, it doesn't have Intercooler in the way of mounting the Night Vision Camera. I tried telling BMW that I will sign off on a waiver, just prewire the system, and I'll figure it out later ... they would not do it. I've even inquired about an "add-on kit" for the Night Vision, and it cannot be done. Same thing with Active Cruise Control, the intercooler is in the way. Bummer, but I guess you have to live with it. I wonder if any European Countries have the option of Night Vision along with the 535xi configuration.

Oh another thing: Active Steering (on the 550i I test drove) is simply awesome. With AS the car responds to you telepathically ... its amazing and I wish I had that option on the xi model (also not available).
If you didn't add the roof rail add in option for the Msport you're going to have to go through the same process as I did and GAJ will shortly. On the Msport there is an order code, can't remember what it is, that adds back in the roof rails at the factory for $400. Maybe check with your dealer and see when the car starts production if it hasn't already and see if they can add them in.

If I can make another recommendation, break it in properly, change the oil and then do the Dinan flash. The performance difference on my 335i coupe was astonishing. I have actually said out loud that the car is almost too fast. A 535xiT with Msport and a stick plus the Dinan flash has to be the ultimate vehicle. If they weren't so much more in Canada than in the US I'd probably find a way to get one, but a $20,000 difference on the same car is just abusive by BMW Canada. Not that it isn't a great car but it feels like BMW is picking our pockets when the car is over $80,000 here and 300 miles South its $60,000. I'd pay $60,000 any day of the week and have been watching the US listings closely for a low mile 535 with a stick. A very rare car indeed. It would probably be worth the hassle and bs retrofits that BMW makes you do.

We brought up an 08 Sequoia and saved about $8,000 even after Toyota dropped their prices.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='636492' date='Jul 31 2008, 01:26 AM
If they weren't so much more in Canada than in the US I'd probably find a way to get one, but a $20,000 difference on the same car is just abusive by BMW Canada. Not that it isn't a great car but it feels like BMW is picking our pockets when the car is over $80,000 here and 300 miles South its $60,000.
Holy ****! I hadn't paid attention - and you ain't kidding!!

To wit, I just had a quick look State-side - which would you rather (duh...):
BMW of Calgary - '07 530XiT, ~36k kms, Auto, Nav, Prem, Sport... CDN$58k
or
BMW of Manhattan - '07 530XiT, ~22k kms, Manual, Nav, HUD, Prem, Sport... US$43k

More car, and still 15k less on pretty even exchange... wow.

Will BMW Canada honour warranty coverage on an imported car?

edit... found this tidbit:
As of July 9, 2008 BMW and Mercedes very quietly dropped requirements that made importers pay for and procure admissibility letters from these manufacturers at a cost of $350 per letter. Furthermore, the manufacturers have also indicated to the RIV that recall and final compliance letters do not need to come from the Canadian head office of these manufacturers at a cost of $500 per letter. It seems that the Canadian government or perhaps some litigators finally forced these manufacturers to drop the requirements and allow for federally regulated compliance inspectors at Canadian Tire to review the cars, as has always been the requirement in the past. This means that we can install km/h speedometers and day time running lights at whatever cost and supplier we so choose.
source: http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by fitzski' post='636843' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:41 PM
Holy ****! I hadn't paid attention - and you ain't kidding!!

To wit, I just had a quick look State-side - which would you rather (duh...):
BMW of Calgary - '07 530XiT, ~36k kms, Auto, Nav, Prem, Sport... CDN$58k
or
BMW of Manhattan - '07 530XiT, ~22k kms, Manual, Nav, HUD, Prem, Sport... US$43k

More car, and still 15k less on pretty even exchange... wow.

Will BMW Canada honour warranty coverage on an imported car?

edit... found this tidbit:

source: http://www.willz.ca/importusatocanada.htm
Yes, they'll honor the original warranty and a bunch of things have changed with importing them so its actually feesible again. You won't get the free maintenance and they won't honor the Certified Series warranty. Only the new car warranty applies so pay attention to how old the car is and how much warranty is left. The "in service date" will be very important on an 06. Some were sold in early 05 as 06's so may be out of warranty.

If you find a car in the US you want you'll need to import it and register it get it inspected through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

www.riv.ca

Make sure the daytime running lights are switched on by the dealer in the US, make sure the car has KM and MPH on the speedometer and make sure it has the latch atttachment for child seats in the rear seats (an 07 should have all of these things). If the speedo needs to be changed you are going to have to change it to the tune of about $3,000 - $4,000 depending on the dealer. Also get the US dealer (they have to be an authorized BMW dealer) to provide you with a letter stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle and that everyhting is up to date.

The bill of sale and title and an export form have to be sent to the border crossing you plan to export the vehicle though (on the US side) 72 hours before you plan to export the vehicle. There is a link to the US regs on the RIV site.

I did this with an 08 Toyota Sequioa for my wife in February and it was easy as pie - SO LONG AS YOU KNOW ALL THE RULES AND ABIDE BY THEM.

The guy next to me at the Canadian Customs office at the border had done it all wrong, tried to lie about some stuff and went through a world of hurt. I was in and out of the border crossing in less than 40 minutes. It was a little easier at the border because the vehicle was brand new but essentially all the same rules and regs apply to a new or used vehicle.

But you won't find a dealer that will sell you a new one for export in the US. Its verboten and they'll lose their franchise when BMW Corporate finds out they sold a car for export into Canada.

Personally I'm wavering between finding a 535xiT and putting the Dinan flash on it (my 335i coupe has it and it is amazing) or importing an M3 sedan. In either case my wife will kill me...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

to the forum. e60.net also provides info such as engines, trims, and even owners manuals thru the years of e60's. You might find it useful as well when doing your research..

http://www.e60.net/information/

GL with your purchase decision...

Quick Reply: Canadian availability? Some other q's...