E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

To buy or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here. I am currently driving an 03 Subaru Outback LLBean with the 6 cylinder motor. I have the option to buy from a family member, a 2006 530XiT at what would amount to about half the normal value. My question is, will this car put me in the poor house on upkeep and repair. I am a car nut, and love to do my own maintenance and upkeep, but I feel like I might be out of my league with this car. I have loved the E60 since first seeing it, and would love to own one, but the Suby has been good to me with a pretty low upkeep. Thanks for the time and comments.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagordr
New member here. I am currently driving an 03 Subaru Outback LLBean with the 6 cylinder motor. I have the option to buy from a family member, a 2006 530XiT at what would amount to about half the normal value. My question is, will this car put me in the poor house on upkeep and repair. I am a car nut, and love to do my own maintenance and upkeep, but I feel like I might be out of my league with this car. I have loved the E60 since first seeing it, and would love to own one, but the Suby has been good to me with a pretty low upkeep. Thanks for the time and comments.
Well, the E61 ain't no Subaru. Upside is it handles way better and is more engaging to drive - it will definitely put a smile on your face. Downside is it will be less reliable, more expensive to repair and also harder to repair with all the electronics. If you're looking to substantially upgrade your driving experience and understand the potential issues - go for it! If you are looking for pure functionality, don't bother.

Another factor is how the car was maintained, the service history and mileage. If the car is clean, was garaged, low milage and has no service issues, 1/2 price will put you in a great car with $ left over for a maintenance/repair fund.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
Well, the E61 ain't no Subaru. Upside is it handles way better and is more engaging to drive - it will definitely put a smile on your face. Downside is it will be less reliable, more expensive to repair and also harder to repair with all the electronics. If you're looking to substantially upgrade your driving experience and understand the potential issues - go for it! If you are looking for pure functionality, don't bother.

Another factor is how the car was maintained, the service history and mileage. If the car is clean, was garaged, low milage and has no service issues, 1/2 price will put you in a great car with $ left over for a maintenance/repair fund.

Good luck!
+1000 You can also look at 3rd party warranties for the expensive repairs. Maintenance on a BMW is not that different, a lot of us here do our own oil changes, brake jobs, even suspension work, it's not that difficult. The difference is you have to expect to pay a little more for parts, oil and everything else is a little more expensive. Other than that? the deal sounds good, go for it, you'll love the E60.