E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW E61 STEERING WHEEL- how to take it off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Hello BeemerGuys!

Please help me to find a manual or DIY for removing the steering wheel. I am planning to to refresh the leather.
Thanks for in advance!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D

On my m-sport steering-wheel, you need to release the air-bag compartment from the centre of the wheel which will reveal the centre boss/nut to remove the wheel from the steering column.

1. Most importantly you need to disconnect your battery first, other wise you risk activating the air-bag light. Disconnect -ve and cover as it is easier than +ve.
2. On the lower underside of the steering wheel is a small hole (about 3 mm) insert a small bladed screw-driver and you will release the clip which holds the air-bag compartment, just swing it up and out of the steering wheel. Disconnect cable to air-bag and any other cables to steering wheel buttons.
3. In the middle of the wheel is the centre boss, I think it is 32mm nut, remove and wheel slides off towards you.

On reassembly, make sure you road wheels are dead straight and you put the steering wheel on straight!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 AM
Members

THANKS! I got Msport package so same steering wheel too. Sounds like a straight forward DIY.
Will post pictures once done.

Originally Posted by fletchedpair
On my m-sport steering-wheel, you need to release the air-bag compartment from the centre of the wheel which will reveal the centre boss/nut to remove the wheel from the steering column.

1. Most importantly you need to disconnect your battery first, other wise you risk activating the air-bag light. Disconnect -ve and cover as it is easier than +ve.
2. On the lower underside of the steering wheel is a small hole (about 3 mm) insert a small bladed screw-driver and you will release the clip which holds the air-bag compartment, just swing it up and out of the steering wheel. Disconnect cable to air-bag and any other cables to steering wheel buttons.
3. In the middle of the wheel is the centre boss, I think it is 32mm nut, remove and wheel slides off towards you.

On reassembly, make sure you road wheels are dead straight and you put the steering wheel on straight!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM
AMG
Members

Originally Posted by bmWay
THANKS! I got Msport package so same steering wheel too. Sounds like a straight forward DIY.
Did I read somewhere that it's also good practice to wait 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery, for air-bag safety? Does that make sense?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Members

Awesome guys, got it done, looking like new, in Lithuania where i come from for 30euros, super job.
will post pictures later on Today.

Originally Posted by bmWay