E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW E61 530D 6HP26 Transmission weird noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karman1977
drone from exhaust, which looks like You have hole in exhaust system could be starting of DPF regeneration cycle.
No its not the exhaust i checked it carefully and i took it off completely so it cannot be that. Dpf works normal. I looked at damper pulley earlier and it slightly moves when i pushed it. In center of pulley has some little cracks in rubber. So i replace pulley next and i hope thats the fault.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Hello all,

Just to clarify my earlier point which seems to have led to some confusion:

The problem and S/B I referred to are caused by (I guess) normal vibrations from the autobox.
Because of the mounting brackets of the exhaust system being somewhat underdesigned and susceptible to wear the

This usually leads to droning, not the typical exhaust drone but caused strictly by the exhaust and mounting vibrating against the surrounding plating.

I experienced one instance (525d I believe) where this actually manifested itself as rattling of the exhaust system against some cover, right behind the transmission.

Sounded somewhat though not competely similar to the vid, therefore I suggested it as a longshot.

You can check it by the way by carefully pushing against the exhaust tubing with the tip of your foot while lying down with your legs under the car.

If the resonance stops then just have the mounting changed, it has been updated since its original design...

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Members

No good luck today again.. I changed vibration damper pulley it was almost broke. But rattle doesnt dissapear... I took exhaust pipe covers off and even that did not help. Next apparently to remove the gearbox and check that out. Or simply burn the car down?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Members

I took my transmission off and there was some hard fiber or similar pieces in torque converter sleeve. Does anybody have idea where they coming from? In the converter or in the transmission? I believe fault is in converter because it vibrates in during drive too with a certain revs, torque converter acts as vibration damper too? I research noise with stethoscope and it was hardest in bellhousing. exterior of converter was blue, like burned to blue?? Do anybody have seen similar? Converter rattles slightly same way when i shaked it with hands how it rattles in car too.
Transmission worked normal before i took it off and no fault codes.

What you guys think do i replace only the converter or whole transmission. Big job to change transmission back and forth. I have both looked in advance transmission is naturally more expensive.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Mik@
I took my transmission off and there was some hard fiber or similar pieces in torque converter sleeve.
Do you have some detail pictures of those?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Theo
Do you have some detail pictures of those?
Car and parts are in work shop. But ill try take photos today. They are quite small 1-10 millimetres? And they are light yellow. Edit: and they are round shape, diameter is about same, if they are in one piece same size axel in center of transmission.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Members

There is piece of hard fiber, plastic or something.. Is there in torque converter something like that material?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Senior Members

To my knowledge the insides of the torque converter are all metal, I've never seen anything resembling plastics in there. Not sure where this could come from at all.

Anyone else?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Members

Problem solved. I changed transmission to "new" and sound is gone.
The following users liked this post:
Shahid Mehmood Jutt (02-23-2023)