E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Audi A6 3.0 TDI Avant
0%
BMW 530xd Touring
46.15%
BMW 535d SE Touring
46.15%
Audi S8 (D2 platform)
7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

BMW 530xd touring (E61) vs Audi A6 3.0 tdi avant (C6)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I need your opinions about those cars, pros, cons and reasons against and for... anything.
Keep in mind that I live in Finland and this car should satisfy my "all day family car" needs.

I know pretty much all the specs and looking just the specs I would go for the BMW. It has also been popular among the testers (atleast the RWD-version (and 535d)). Somehow the Audi is still tempting.. However I haven't drive them and ofcourse I need to, but meanwhile you could tell me your opinions...have you drive them both?
Is the AWD really a must? And if it is does it "weaken" your summer driving pleasure (=front wheels pulls so steering feedback isn't so great?) and if it is not a must, why?

I will not buy car now, maybe in a near future but this subject (comparison) is really interesting!
I have also included second options, 535d and old S8... my favorites as well

Best regards
Fkuti
Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I have tested the Audi A6 3.0TDI, the BMW 530D and 535D. The Audi was a dissapointment in the power and transmission. You can only get it as a Quattro and the motor is not as advanced as the BMW. I tried one with ProLine pack and 19" wheels and steptronic. It was a quite OK ride after all, but I miss the comfort chairs, active steering, electric tilt of the steering wheel and upgraded breaks that the 535D have.

For normal driving I prefer RWD. It's not power consuming as the AWD is and doesn't have the extra weight of AWD. The traction is also enougt on normal roads and I think it's not needed for winter either, just get a set of your localmade ones, Hakka 4 and you'll not miss the AWD.

The 535 have more deep and smooth power than the 530. The 530 feels more lika a traditional "turbo", same with the Audi.

This is my thoughts and feelings.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

I've been driving the A6 3.0 TDI Q alot the last few days, and it is a great car! Is drives nice and smooth, and the quattro is nice!

BUT! The transmission is much smoother in our E60, there is even more power in the 530d engine, and the BMW drives much better than the Audi... I didn't like the MMI system in the A6, what's the point of having all those buttoms ?? BMW Idrive is better, because you can adjust alot of settings with only one/two buttoms, in the Audi there are at least 10, and you have to take your eyes of the road to read the buttoms... BUT: The nav system in the Audi is way better than Prof navi in the BMW..

Another thing is the Audi revs a bit more than the BMW... At 200 km/h the RPM's where 3500 in the Audi, and our BMW only revs 2800 RPM's at that speed...

This is a hard choice, because it's two great cars! But the BMW is a step ahead when it comes to handling, engine, electronic and gearbox.. Maybe there is a bit more place in the backseat of the Audi - but hey - of often do you sit there ?