E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Big cars + tight car parks = comedic driving.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Had to visit a client in Spinningfields, Manchester.

Closest car park I could find was on Atkinson Street and I'd urge you to avoid it unless you're in a tiny car.

Bloke said to me as I went in, public spaces are on floors 15 and 17. Fine, I thought, until I tried to negotiate my way up there in our Beemer - took nearly 10 minutes and I was sweating madly when I got out the car.

Nearly every ramp had to have two attempts to get around and I could tell I'm not the only one as there was loads of paint on the walls from where people had got it wrong. The parking sensors were going mad front and back (you can't hear them that well as I had the blowers on as the car had been sat in the sun for a few hours on my way back).

To top it off, I had to park on level 17 and there was no lift. And when I came back to get the car, the entire place was shut up and I couldn't get in.

It was so bad, that I thought no one would believe me unless I videod it. So here it is.

Avoid.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kell
Had to visit a client in Spinningfields, Manchester.

Closest car park I could find was on Atkinson Street and I'd urge you to avoid it unless you're in a tiny car.

Bloke said to me as I went in, public spaces are on floors 15 and 17. Fine, I thought, until I tried to negotiate my way up there in our Beemer - took nearly 10 minutes and I was sweating madly when I got out the car.

Nearly every ramp had to have two attempts to get around and I could tell I'm not the only one as there was loads of paint on the walls from where people had got it wrong. The parking sensors were going mad front and back (you can't hear them that well as I had the blowers on as the car had been sat in the sun for a few hours on my way back).

To top it off, I had to park on level 17 and there was no lift. And when I came back to get the car, the entire place was shut up and I couldn't get in.

It was so bad, that I thought no one would believe me unless I videod it. So here it is.

Avoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc1Wam4ll88

hahahaha I guess they design that places only for Mini's. I dare you to try that at 50mph like in the movies. That's one place you do not want to park after a few drinks at the club (Do not drink and drive...;-) )
Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Members

Are you sure it wasnt hard because you had one hand filming?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I'd like to think I could hold a camera phone that steady. I wedged my iPhone between the instrument binacle and the windscreen.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

LOL! Thanks for sharing - bet it will be some time before you take the same car to the same car park.

I find the E60/E61 to have poor insight as to where the corners are and am grateful for the parking sensors. I had a similar experience in a French multi-story a few years ago where the ramps were also steep enough to cause the front bumper to scrape on the way out. Thankfully it was only a few stories and not 17.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 LCI 525 xd

Clearly a result of a summer trainee with no driving experience doing the dimensioning for a parking hall...
Old 06-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

... watched the clip with a mixture of awe and frustration - well done Kell, you managed to get out of there. But bearing in mind the look of that garage, what were you doing there in the first place?!? Looks like a rough neighbourhood.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
... watched the clip with a mixture of awe and frustration - well done Kell, you managed to get out of there. But bearing in mind the look of that garage, what were you doing there in the first place?!? Looks like a rough neighbourhood.
I think all of Manchester looks like that.

Actually, Spinningfields looks fairly alright - it's just THAT carpark.