E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Automatic opening tailgate/load cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by mmitev
Wrong. Most European cars with automatic tailgate come with manual cover.

The electric cover is such an exception that I have never seen one live, and I've seen tons of E61s with automatic tailgate.
Interesting that you say this. Here are the parts links for an early 535d; the first is for the trim around the tailgate opening and the 2nd is for the tailgate. Note that both reference the same option code of S316A (described as "Automatic trunk lid mechanism")- there are not separate option codes for the automatic cargo cover and for the automatic tailgate. I think you'll agree that one without the other isn't very clever/sensible.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6..._b_c_d_column/
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E6...for_trunk_lid/

And apologies if I'm stating the obvious but unless you're familiar with the automatic cargo cover a non functioning automatic cover behaves just like the fully manual one - it pops up when the glass or the tailgate is opened and you need to lower it yourself.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you are trying to tell me that what you believe should be "clever/sensible" based on this graphic is true, and the reality which I've observed over the last few years is wrong?

I won't argue with you any further as this would be a pointless discussion. Which sadly is not atypical for forums anyway.

I'll just wait for you to come across a few cars without the automatic cargo cover and also realize how generic and misleading the ReaOEM info can be on such occasions.

And if you need a proof here and now, for your own peace of mind, you can have it: I've taken apart the whole trim around the trunk lid on my car, and I can confirm - it has the automatic gate and does NOT have the automatic cover. I.e. behind the trim there simply is NO mechanism to move it up and down. Items 26, 27 and 28 on the graphic are not installed on my car:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=51&fg=40

And there is something else that might be helpful - afaik the trim around the tailgate is identical in cars with and without automatic cover. The difference is only in the mechanics behind the trim and their function. I.e. we should not base any conclusions on the trim.