E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Automatic opening tailgate/load cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...nger-resetting is a useful thread for those who want to try a DIY repair.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530d Msport touring

Originally Posted by Muppet_Man
If you have one, please, I desperately need to know what yours does so I can prove my point as I'm in a major argument with them.

Cheers for your help.

I've got a 2007 UK 530d touring with the automatic tailgate and it works as your previously did - as the tailgate starts to open it rises nice and smoothly; it move quite quickly but it doesn't slam upwards.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Originally Posted by clippedwings
I've got a 2007 UK 530d touring with the automatic tailgate and it works as your previously did - as the tailgate starts to open it rises nice and smoothly; it move quite quickly but it doesn't slam upwards.
Any chance yoou can put up a video please?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D Touring E61

Originally Posted by clippedwings

Hi, I would really appreciate a video of this if you can post one. Cheers
Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Members

My 04 535d just pops the hooks that hold the cover in place, you have to manually pull it back down again which is really annoying.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Muppet_Man
Without boring everyone to death, my 535D touring has an automatically opening tailgate, when you push the button it motors up, when your done, it motors back down again. However, that's not what my question is about. When you open the tailgate, the load cover also used to motor up gently, and when you shut it, it would go down again.

Recently, it went wrong, the local dealers charged a fortune to fix it, but now when you open it, it just slams up to the top rather than motoring up. They insist this is what they do and that should never have just motored to the top nice and gently. I told them mine always did, and they say it must have been faulty for years, because that's not how it should work. (I know that some without the motorised tailgate do just go up, and then you pull them down again when you shut the tailgate, however this one is different if you have a motorised tailgate).

If you have one, please, I desperately need to know what yours does so I can prove my point as I'm in a major argument with them.

Cheers for your help.
Dealer talks BS as usual.
There are cars with what you describe - fully electric cover.
There was a thread here of a guy with your problem exactly - his dealer claimed the electric cover does not exist, so they can not fix it! Utter c**p. He fixed it at the end as a DIY. And if I remember correctly he just took it apart and reassembled it and it worked again. He did not replace anything. It was that simple. Search for this thread and you will find it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phelix
The auto tailgate and auto luggage cover come as a pair; to the best of my knowledge they are not available individually.
Wrong. Most European cars with automatic tailgate come with manual cover.

The electric cover is such an exception that I have never seen one live, and I've seen tons of E61s with automatic tailgate.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Members

Partly on topic - I don't have the iDrive option for the tailgate opening position, was this model year/region specific?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I can tell you our 2010 US spec car has it if that helps... (controlling the opening height of the tailgate)
Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Beastlee
Partly on topic - I don't have the iDrive option for the tailgate opening position, was this model year/region specific?
My 2004 car does not have it. Might be that pre-LCI or pre-Sep-2005 cars don't have it.

Quick Reply: Automatic opening tailgate/load cover