E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone know which other BMW Panoramic sunroofs are compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 05:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 2006 530xi Wagon

Originally Posted by Alpine003
f

Wouldn't have been me as I still have my e61. I've just been keeping an eye out on used parts as I'm not about to pay for new ones. But since it's getting warmer, not having the shade screen really is making my car very warm. I may have to ghetto rig some cardboard pieces up there for now just to keep the sun/heat out.
I'm in Florida, so I feel your pain! I'm thinking about putting in some tongue and groove style paneling and then staining it to match the trim, just for the time being.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

because I am missing 1 of the 2 sunshades, I had the whole sunroof tinted with extremely dark tint and this has made a tremendous difference in the amount of heat in the car.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
because I am missing 1 of the 2 sunshades, I had the whole sunroof tinted with extremely dark tint and this has made a tremendous difference in the amount of heat in the car.
How does a sunshade get lost in the first place? I can't see a way to remove it without breaking it in to pieces first.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
New Members

scroll up to post #5 in this thread.

the second shade is there, but it has become disconnected from the front piece. therefore, it stays retracted in the headliner and does not get pulled forward by the front piece. it's on my list of things to fix, but i havent been able to find any good information or assembly diagrams anywhere and i'm hesitant to remove the headliner until i know exactly what parts i will need.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e30
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by davidmurdoch
How does a sunshade get lost in the first place? I can't see a way to remove it without breaking it in to pieces first.
In my case, I found signs that the whole headliner could've potentially been dropped at one point to either get to the sunroof assembly and/or get to the electronics for the rear tailgate and antenna above. The guy might've done a really quick crappy job and forgot to put back the shades is my guess.

Thanks for verifying that. I was thinking of getting one of those 5% limo tint vinyl static cling films to put up there temporarily so I can remove it easily later if I find some shades.

However not having the shades still suck at letting some roof noise in. Not sure if you have any road noise issues with yours either. I certainly wouldn't mind additional noise control in that area.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM
New Members

However not having the shades still suck at letting some roof noise in. Not sure if you have any road noise issues with yours either. I certainly wouldn't mind additional noise control in that area.
Yes! the wind noise is very noticeable without the shades. i have a front shade so if i roll that all the way forward it helps a little bit.

I've also read some posts (see the link below) that mention that the sunroof seal itself can become permanently deformed over time, which results in a poor seal and increased noise. the new seal is pretty cheap, but looks like a bit of a pain to replace. i'm waiting until summer because i think it will be easier to remove the old adhesive on a hot day.

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...-fixed-115159/

last march, the previous owner had the front glass panel replaced by the dealer ($650 for the part and $900 in labor) and mentioned that the shade didnt work properly after that. not sure why he didnt take it back to the dealer to have it fixed, but i may go back and make my case and see if they will fix it (doubtful).
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM
New Members

Yes! the wind noise is very noticeable without the shades. i have a front shade so if i roll that all the way forward it helps a little bit.

I've also read some posts (see the link below) that mention that the sunroof seal itself can become permanently deformed over time, which results in a poor seal and increased noise. the new seal is pretty cheap, but looks like a bit of a pain to replace. i'm waiting until summer because i think it will be easier to remove the old adhesive on a hot day.
Glad I'm not the only one with the wind noise up there.

Yes I read about the seal and also have the same thoughts as you in waiting til it gets warm so the rubber will be more pliable.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:02 PM
New Members

BTW, can anyone provide a pic of the front of the opening when the sunroof is opened?

On various previous cars, I had a wind deflector that popped up. I don't have this on the current car and wondering if I should have one as I get a lot of buffeting towards the rear.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM
New Members

BTW, can anyone provide a pic of the front of the opening when the sunroof is opened?

On various previous cars, I had a wind deflector that popped up. I don't have this on the current car and wondering if I should have one as I get a lot of buffeting towards the rear.
I can't get you a pic, as an attempt to do so will lead to hours of me trying to get my sunroof seated again, but yes, there is a wind deflector that pops up. It is just like the one in this video of an X5 at around 16 seconds:

Last edited by davidmurdoch; 05-18-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:09 PM
New Members

confirmed. I just checked mine. there is a small deflector that pops up when the glass opens ~8" or more

Quick Reply: Anyone know which other BMW Panoramic sunroofs are compatible?