E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Any one had issues with the Lift gate "tilt Sensor"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Well I'm still in the E90 328i right now. My E61 has been in the shop now for 24 DAYS. They had to re-wire EVERY thing Aft of the fire wall , and put in all new control modules, batt, power management, Load level epq, Auto lift gate Hydrolics and sensors, new sunroof, sun roof seal, head liner....

The long and short of it is they got every thing working but the Auto Lift gate and cargo cover.... they had never worked on a E61 period, and BMW sent the wrong diagrams ( Really?).

The ordering of the bad parts has taken for ever ( half the parts had to come from Germany since there were none in the USA parts inventory system), and what remains was the Tilt /angel sensor on the lift gate, or that is what they think it is....

Is this that hard to fix? I know it tells the car how far the lift gate is open / where the lift gate stops its travel.

I stress this "May" get it back tonight , just in time for a very unusual Snow fall in the SE USA, especially before January.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that due to faulty sunroof seals, clogged drain plugs, and pooled water?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Ah yes....
No clogged drains though, all were functioning a-o-k with no clogging, just a bad seal. Was not stopping the water from coming in at the lowest point on the roof ... over the back end where 80% of the control modules are.

I have yet to see the parts list, but I was told they had to replace like 8 ecu/control units! Also there was a small fire under the rear deck from one unit that shorted out from all the water.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

And according to BMW, there is nothing wrong with the design of the Panorama sunroof...

I can only wonder what this has cost them, world wide.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1067852' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:42 AM
I can only wonder what this has cost them, world wide.
I can only wonder what this will cost me later on when this car gets old
Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Only $3k in parts ...They had not totaled the labor yet....25 days worth..

Ironically BMW recommended relocating all the ECU's/CPUs to the sides of theload area car and out side of the Wheel well. They said they were doing this on all the E60/E61's that had Water/sunroof issues.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1068098' date='Dec 5 2009, 04:43 AM
Only $3k in parts ...They had not totaled the labor yet....25 days worth..

Ironically BMW recommended relocating all the ECU's/CPUs to the sides of theload area car and out side of the Wheel well. They said they were doing this on all the E60/E61's that had Water/sunroof issues.
I wonder why not just drill a hole through the bottom of this wheel well? And also through the bottom of the battery compartment? I am considering doing this with my car.

Would you mind asking them what they think of this when you speak to them? I mean, since they have obviously thought about solving the problem, there may be a reason why such a hole won't work, which could be useful for all of us here. (For example, one obvious risk is rust, but there are also ways to eliminate it.)
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Contributors

I found out they did not fix every thing... The Auto cargo cover up down thing does not work.. back to the shop this week...
WTF....
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1069078' date='Dec 7 2009, 01:04 AM
I found out they did not fix every thing... The Auto cargo cover up down thing does not work.. back to the shop this week...
WTF....
Hello,

Can you explain what is meant by "BMW recommended relocating all the ECU's/CPUs to the sides of theload area car and out side of the Wheel well. They said they were doing this on all the E60/E61's that had Water/sunroof issues."

I was thinking of doing this on mine. A leaky cooler toasted a control unit. I was lucky it was only one since I am out of warranty. I think the wiring will reach into the drivers side storage area, but have not tried is yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

This was done by the techs at the Dealership.. They relocated all the ECU/CPU/Control modules currently under the rear load floor to under the Trim on the sides of the rear ( under the carpeting and trim).

It also required new wiring , but since they had to rip all mine out due to corrosion/ shorts and a small fire , they were going to have to do this any how.

BMW NA and engineers in Munich supposedly are recommending this on the E60 and E61s that have issues with the sunroofs or moisture in the spare tire well ( e60 tend to get water there even though they can't find a leak apparently...)

I take looks in the areas now after rains to check for flooding , and there is alot more under the trim on either side ( under the First aid kit door and spare tire tools doors) now than before. They did a good job rewiring it and it almost looks like factory fresh.

Quick Reply: Any one had issues with the Lift gate "tilt Sensor"