E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another Project Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Synced up with a local enthusiast who was parting out a few E60 M5s. I was able to get everything for the black interior conversion minus the door cards, seat backs, and lower seat trim. I also picked up a front/lower M5 splash shield in good condition.

I put all the small plastic trim pieces in the washing machine and after a quick cycle used some interior conditioner and a microfiber towel to clean/dry/condition and they look excellent, better than expected to be honest.

M5 carpet and splash shield

Center console

Downloaded the XHP Trans Tune Package (Stage 1, 2, 3) and flashed Stage 3 to give it a whirl, it sounds promising as it makes the trans 50-60% more responsive with some other benefits. I need to let adaptations relearn the new tune for ~50 miles before giving it the beans but excited to see the improvements.

Overkill for this TCU flashing but it's nice to know I could completely rewrite/flash a BMW overnight with the modules being help at a perfect 14.2v One badass charger.

I also snagged a lightly used M-sport SSG steering wheel from a 2010 550i w/ 19,000 miles and it looks to be one with Nappa leather so it's essentially an M5 wheel without the tri-color stitching and SSG push/pull paddles as opposed to the SMG pull/pull. I prefer the pull/pull style but the SSG does have 2 benefits: 1: You can drive and shift with one hand 2: If my research is correct retrofitting this only requires running 2 wires from the wheel, 1 to the DME and 1 ground, and some coding to integrate the wheel. XHP claims "instantaneous" paddle response, looking forward to that.
Here is a pic from the eBay listing, little dirty but should clean up nicely.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:56 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
I also snagged a lightly used M-sport SSG steering wheel from a 2010 550i w/ 19,000 miles and it looks to be one with Nappa leather so it's essentially an M5 wheel without the tri-color stitching and SSG push/pull paddles as opposed to the SMG pull/pull. I prefer the pull/pull style but the SSG does have 2 benefits: 1: You can drive and shift with one hand 2: If my research is correct retrofitting this only requires running 2 wires from the wheel, 1 to the DME and 1 ground, and some coding to integrate the wheel. XHP claims "instantaneous" paddle response, looking forward to that.
Regarding the wiring, your research is correct. I've been running these exact same paddles on my wagon for many years now. Unfortunately, the wagons never had the SAT option with the paddles, so their wiring harnesses weren't built with the extra connections.

You just need to run the following:
- SZL Connector x1880 Pin 13 to Connector X6031 Pin 11 in the ECU enclosure (which runs the rest of the way to the transmission control)
- SZL Connector x1880 Pin 12 to any good ground.

I could never find the exact BMW part number for the connector terminals, so after a lot of scouring datasheets, I bought the following TE terminal contacts from Mouser:
- 963715-1 (or -5, -6 for different plating, depending on availability)
- 1452656-1 (or -2, -3 for different plating, depending on availability)

These clicked right into the existing BMW connector bodies in the wiring harness. You'll notice that the mating male pin in connector X6031 is a little wider than the pin in X1880, so that's why two different contact PN's were used.

To complete the clean mod, you can integrate the new wire into the existing wiring harness down the steering column and across the dash over to behind the glove box. From there, it can be fed directly into an existing opening in the ECU enclosure and cleanly routed to connector X6031.

And after that, just one line of coding to make the paddles "Aktiv"! If for some reason you have any trouble after coding, SIB 25 03 07 provides diagnostic procedures for checking for the right voltages at Pin 11 of X6031.

I'll be interested to hear if the XHP firmware truly makes the paddle shifts instantaneous. Although having the paddles is better than the stock shifter alone, they're definitely not any faster, even with the full SAT retrofit.

Last edited by GTYellowJacket; 02-04-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xI Wagon

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
this is great timing for my RWD conversion project, I have the complete M5 subframe ready to go in and only need struts.
can you elaborate on this a bit more?
what are the differences between the M5 subframe and all others? it seems the M5 subframe has a different part number than all the others, according to RealOEM. i ask, because there is a guy local that is parting an M5. and i'd like to just grab the whole front setup from him, vs. piecing it together from the junkyard and eBay.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket

Regarding the wiring, your research is correct. I've been running these exact same paddles on my wagon for many years now. Unfortunately, the wagons never had the SAT option with the paddles, so their wiring harnesses weren't built with the extra connections.
Thanks for the Mouser links. I had the smaller pins for the SZL left over from my 6MT swap but when getting them and the DME pins I had a hard time tracking them down since as you said, no #s and the diagrams on realOEM don't have the detail to differentiate the pins. I had to go to my local dealer and have them pull out what they had and ID them in person. I did that this time and unfortunately they were not able to locate the larger DME pins but a fellow enthusiast is sending me one and if that falls through I have the Mouser link. I can't believe I spend $500 on the Motiv Mods harness last time I did this, being a DIYer who loves finding deals it is embarrassing. Well, now I know $10 worth of parts and an hour or so of work vs $500 and an hour of work. :/

We will see how "instantaneous" the paddles are, it's a bold claim.

Originally Posted by Zero Cool
can you elaborate on this a bit more?
what are the differences between the M5 subframe and all others? it seems the M5 subframe has a different part number than all the others, according to RealOEM. i ask, because there is a guy local that is parting an M5. and i'd like to just grab the whole front setup from him, vs. piecing it together from the junkyard and eBay.
They do in fact have different part numbers but functionally (for my use) the RWD and M5 subframes are identical. The difference is the M5 subframe has eyelets on the driver side which allow another small heat shield to be installed. If you were planning on getting the control arms included with the subframe I would double check those, I recall RWD and M5 being identical but I recently heard someone say that control arms were longer for the added track width up front.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Nice weekend for the wagon.

- Cleaned and swapped most black interior pieces (need console, seat trim, and door cards)
- Ran wiring for paddle shifters
- Cleaned and installed nappa leather M sport wheel
- Installed Depo smoked side markers
- Replaced faulty TPMS module
- Installed new OEM roundels
- cleaned and conditioned leather seats
- installed new Bosch spark plugs
- Replaced driver seat belt
- repaired driver door weather stripping
- targeted valves which need cleaning and expansion tank which needs replacing

Stock side marker

Depo smoked side marker

You can see the driver seat belt was missing the plastic nub which keeps the buckle from sliding all the way down, it was pretty annoying to reach all the way down to your left hip for the buckle. Seat belt was replaced.

Had some left over wiring and pins from my manual swap on the white E61 so I built the wiring needed for my paddle shift retrofit

One wire to ground and the other to DME box, easy peasy

So much room for activities!

Before

During

After

With the seats out I took the opportunity to clean them. Horse hair brush, leather cleaner, micro fiber towel, leather conditioner

Weather stripping had worked loose

Repaired using the ever so awesome 3M VHB tape

Found a Nappa leather SSG M sport wheel on eBay from a 550i with 19,000 miles, shown left.

Cleaned up the leather, swapped over the old lower trim (not a fan of M badges) and transferred the buttons

Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61

My god man, that wheel is a thing of beauty. I love that you de-"M"'d it. Looks so much more stealthy.

Been following your progress with this one and learning a bunch, I really appreciate you taking the time to do these posts. These are really wonderful cars in the right hands.
I would actually love your help tracking down one of those M5 wheels, and helping me out with the swap on my E61 if you have come across another one. (Happy to pay you for your time.) I am in Orange County, I think you are as well. Sam Williamson with SpeedLogic has been helping me with sorting out the mechanicals on my recently acquired E61.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by irjetsetter
My god man, that wheel is a thing of beauty. I love that you de-"M"'d it. Looks so much more stealthy.

Been following your progress with this one and learning a bunch, I really appreciate you taking the time to do these posts. These are really wonderful cars in the right hands.
I would actually love your help tracking down one of those M5 wheels, and helping me out with the swap on my E61 if you have come across another one. (Happy to pay you for your time.) I am in Orange County, I think you are as well. Sam Williamson with SpeedLogic has been helping me with sorting out the mechanicals on my recently acquired E61.
Thanks for the kind words. I have never been a fan of M badges. On my old E39 M5 I debadged it, IMO no need to show what it is, enthusiasts should know and if people don't know then who cares lol it will be surprised when it's faster than they were expecting. Aside from "M" and what it means for BMW I prefer the clean look without badge clutter, regardless of what it means. Less is more!

I used to be in Orange County but have since moved to San Diego. Sam is a good guy we have hung out a few times. As for the steering wheel there are 2 options the M5 SMG wheel with pull/pull paddles and the SSG push/pull wheel (like I got) from M sport E60 models. I would look for a wheel from a 2008+ E60 whichever style wheel you prefer. Personally I like the M5/M sport models with the Nappa leather as it feels considerably more luxurious (IMO). Most M sports don't have Nappa, some do, some M5s do, some don't, just something to consider. E63 M6 wheels will also work if you find one of those. The retrofitting process is pretty simple, you will need some of the small connector pins which can be a pain to obtain but once you have them you simply connect 2 wires into a connector on the steering column, runs one to the ground under the carpet and dead pedal, and the other goes to a connector in the DME box in the engine bay. After that there is some basic coding needed to activate the feature. That's it. I can forward you a guide I received from another member and I am sure this is something Sam can assist with.

Evan
Old 02-06-2019, 08:05 AM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

My E61 was missing those seat belt stops (those little buttons that keep the latch from falling to the floor) so I just bought a pack of 10 on Amazon because it was cheaper than buying 2. If you or anyone else ever need any let me know and I'll throw some in an envelope! They just snap on with some pliers.

Last edited by kd7iwp; 02-06-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No BMW

Wow! You've been busy! Nice work on the pin/solder/wiring work. Did some of that kind of work at Roush. Definitely understand the pain of having to search out pins for the proper connectors as I was integrating bluetooth into the aux of the CCC unit in my last E60. That black carpet looks much better in there also.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Mechanic hack, release hood struts to open the hood 90 degrees for better lighting and access.

Took a peak at the valves and they will need to be walnut blasted

New bosch plugs

Expansion tank also looks to be nice and toasty, there are some stress cracks and discoloration so I ordered a new one.

New OEM roundels and RDC (TPMS) module to replace the faulty one.

For those who got unreasonably upset that I plasti-dipped the old UV damaged roundels, you can now relax and go find something else to stress over

Quick Reply: Another Project Wagon