E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Alignment of 525d E61 18" type 124 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi All,
Not sure where to post this but I hope someone can help. Since a couple of months now I noticed my car started veering to the left if I let go of the steering wheel. Never had this problem before so I figured I had a realigned by the local Kwik fit type of Garage. They gave me a great print out once done highlighting the errors and the result after realignment.
So great. Unfortunately it now actually has gone worse. Tyres have the correct pressure. Where could it come from suddenly? Any tips on what to do next? Go to the dealer (don't like to go to the dealer. They're way to expensive). Or go back to the garage and see what solutions they might have?
Any experiences with a similar problem? I also noticed when I take a corner and don't steer the steeringwheel doesn't completely turn back. But not sure if that is normal or not and if this suddenly happened now.
Should I change the tyres (back to front)? Or is there something I'd need to check on the steering pump?
Thanks for your help in this
Old 06-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather

I'd check your tyre pressures for a start a low tyre will pull the car to one side. Lack of self centering can be caused by incorrect caster settings. Kwik fit have probably set your tracking up, bu I doubt they are equipped to 4 wheel laser align the car. I'd get this done (probably around 70-80 quid).

If they have aligned it, take it back and explain how it is now worse than before, perhaps something is bent?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

First thing I would do is get it to a decent wheel alignment place that can do a four wheel alignment the same as the dealer, I certainly would NOT let Kwik fit near any car of mine. Once thats done and if it still occurs, check tyre pressures and if still not right swop wheels side to side (one axle at a time) as run out in tyres can cause pulling, even a rear tyre.
To be honest my car has always pulled a bit from new but I am sure it's only following the camber of the road. Next time you go out try and drive (if safe) 0n the crown of the road and see if it tracks straight. Another thing is to check your tyre wear to see if its even accross the width of the tyre.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d SE, 5door, Auto, Grey, Black Leather,etc

Sounds like the tracking (wheel alignment). Have you hit a bump or something? Tyre garages will check your tracking (some for free, but charge if it needs adjusting). Its worth getting tracking set correctly, because if there is some misalignment it will only wear the tyres quicker and cost you more in the long run.
Regards
Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi All
thanks for your comments.
It wasn't a Kwik Fit. I agree I don't like them either. Too many (inexperienced, uncaring?) guys working there. This one is like a Kwik fit but then local with only a few mechanics. They also have all modern equipment (they gave me a printout after the re-alignment was done confirming the before and after measurement)
So I went back this morning to explain that I still had problems. The more senior guy then had another go at it. Apparently for some reason the rear wheels were partially mis-aligned again.
Not sure how that could have happened in one weekend though. Perhaps they installed the equipment wrong the first time around?
In any case, during the short drive back to work it seemed better. Let's see what happens this evening during my standard 45 minute drive back home (with Motorway, the best part )

I'll let you know what happened. Should anyway require the re-alignment measurements for a 525d Touring 18" then let me know. I'll upload them to the forum (assuming the problem is fixed now of course :-)
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Members

Hmmm,
ok so basically I still feel in general the car is pushing to the left. Now since the people here drive on the left side of the road the road surface has the tendency to be lower on the left (curb) side. So that might partially explain it. However I'm pretty sure I didn't have to use the same amount of force before to keep the car in the middle of my lane. Then this morning I went to a quiet neighborhood with a completely straight, levelled road and the car kept driving completely straight when letting go of the steeringwheel. So very strange. As this problem started to happen a couple of weeks ago and since I don't recall hitting a curb or anything could it be the tyres (wear and tear?) I checked the pressure and those are ok (2.4 bar front and 2.8 back)
I still have some 225 17" wintertyres in the garage. Would it make sense to fit those for a while to try the difference? Or first switch the current wheels from front to back?
Thanks for any advice
Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Not sure what equipment the guys have that you took the car to but it really needs to be the kit used by these guys as its the same as the KDS system that the BMW dealers use.

This website will let you find your nearest centre and it should cost between ?50-90 depending on the adjustments they need to make. I needed two rear camber adjustments after lowering the rear of my e61 and it was about ?75.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Most others that offer 4 wheel alignment can only adjust the toe and cannot adjust the castor/camber etc that may be the root of your problem.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: Dean Smoriff

A friend is getting a Turbo Probe ready to autocross and he needs some
numbers for his first alignment. He will also drive it on the street. How much negative camber front and back? Toe in or out front and back? TIA
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Members

Thanks for this link.
I tried it and the garage I actually went to in Feltham had this equipment according to this site.
The print out they gave me looked good as well.
Problem is that I'm still not happy. Car still feels a bit pushy to the left so after a long drive my left hand feels tired (also now if the left front wheel hits a hole in the road the steering wheel has the tendency to break to the left too easily). In addition the car feels a bit wobbly now when hitting generic potholes in the road (so like if the chassis is shifting from left to right giving a less solid feeling)
Would BMW work with preferred numbers for tracking the 18 inch wheels? I noticed on the print out each setting has a lot of margin for each allignment to fall in the "green" zone. attached the last measurments they made.
Appreciate any help anyone can give in this

Originally Posted by chesney72' post='907928' date='Jun 11 2009, 12:50 PM
Not sure what equipment the guys have that you took the car to but it really needs to be the kit used by these guys as its the same as the KDS system that the BMW dealers use.

This website will let you find your nearest centre and it should cost between ?50-90 depending on the adjustments they need to make. I needed two rear camber adjustments after lowering the rear of my e61 and it was about ?75.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Most others that offer 4 wheel alignment can only adjust the toe and cannot adjust the castor/camber etc that may be the root of your problem.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment of 525d E61 18" type 124 wheels-tracking.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='928521' date='Jun 30 2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks for this link.
I tried it and the garage I actually went to in Feltham had this equipment according to this site.
The print out they gave me looked good as well.
Problem is that I'm still not happy. Car still feels a bit pushy to the left so after a long drive my left hand feels tired (also now if the left front wheel hits a hole in the road the steering wheel has the tendency to break to the left too easily). In addition the car feels a bit wobbly now when hitting generic potholes in the road (so like if the chassis is shifting from left to right giving a less solid feeling)
Would BMW work with preferred numbers for tracking the 18 inch wheels? I noticed on the print out each setting has a lot of margin for each allignment to fall in the "green" zone. attached the last measurments they made.
Appreciate any help anyone can give in this
You really have to go to a shop where they're familiar with these cars. It doesn't have to be the dealer- just a good independent BMW shop.

It could be a bad tire. I've had this on my GTI, which was pulling to the left. Here's what happened- I took it in for an alignment without telling them it was pulling; they drove it and noticed the pulling, put it on the machine, and said the alignment isn't causing the pulling. Then they rotated the left-hand tires back to front, and the pulling went away, proving a bad tire.

By the way, I hadn't had an alignment on the GTI for about 100k miles, and it was still good. Pretty much every time I've had an alignment, the "before" numbers show the car was in spec from the beginning. So I don't bother getting alignments any more....................

Quick Reply: Alignment of 525d E61 18" type 124 wheels