E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Advice Requested: Buying High Mileage 535 Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 06:44 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 X3 6MT
Default Advice Requested: Buying High Mileage 535 Wagon

Hi all,

New here, done the required pre purchase reading and searching but wanted to get some opinions on purchasing a high mileage e61.

Car in question is a 2010 535xiT with 150k miles from the east coast of Canada. Two owners, both seem to have taken very good care of it and fixed everything recommended. I talked to the owner of the indy shop that has worked on it the past 5 years and he said it's a great vehicle.

List of repairs in last five year and 40,000 miles

- Turbos from BMW at 110k
- Moonroof and ecu modules that were affected during a leak
- Headlight and taillight assemblies
- Alternator & serp belt
- Water pump & thermostat, upper rad hose
- All brake pads and rotors, ABS and brake pad sensor
- Valve cover and oil housing gasket
- Ignition coils and plugs
- Battery
- Converted power rear hatch to manual
- Front struts, tie rod, rear wheel bearings
- Converted rear suspension from air to shock setup

Tranny and diff fluid have not been changed and are the factory fill. Mechanic said he's looked at them before but they didn't look burnt and is of the belief that if you haven't changed it at this mileage, don't. In his experience changing the fluid at a higher mileage for the first time will cause problems ~50% of the time.

It has a slight tune he mentioned. Haven't asked exactly which one.

With that said, would you trust this car to last another 60-80k miles, without having a major repair. Price will be roughly $9000 USD with shipping, out of province inspections, new tires, tax etc.

Appreciate your time and thoughts. Cheers.

Curtis
Old 02-18-2022, 04:39 AM
New Members

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

Sounds like most of the major issues are dealt with, but I wouldn't suggest that you'll be able to get 80,000 miles trouble free. Transmission solenoids come to mind, for example. I would change all the fluids at this mileage despite what the mechanic has suggested - both diffs, transfer case and transmission - that will go a long way to help you achive the mileage you're looking for. I'm at about the same mileage - and I'm now doing Blackstone oil analysis on all my oil changes, and did it with the transmission. Keep using factory specified synthetic motor oil, but increase the frequency of the oil changes. Vanos solenoids not on your list above, I've also had to do my turbo pressure controllers and replace all the vacuum lines. I'd really be interested to hear the thoughts of others on the forums. I still love my car and plan to drive it into the ground or until gas gets to $5/litre, whatever comes first.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:11 PM
New Members

Thanks for the advice. Transmission solenoid is that the mechatronic unit repair I keep reading about?

Re: changing all fluids - really, you'd do them even if it cost you a possible transmission failure? I'm assuming a replacement used transmission for this car is ~$5000 cdn plus labour? Diff and transfer case I would definitely change.

Vanos solenoids, right, thanks. Believe that could be DIY job if you're decent with tools.

Boost controllers, vacuum lines, thanks.

I'll get whoever does the PPI to take a good look at all of these. Thanks

Old 02-19-2022, 06:11 AM
New Members

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

Originally Posted by santalopian
Transmission solenoid is that the mechatronic unit repair I keep reading about?
Yes, basically. The solenoids can be replaced with the transmission oil pan removed. No need to do anything unless you're getting problems with transmission function - bad shifting, slipping clutches, etc. I'm at 220,000 km and everything is running fine, but I think there's a decent chance I'll have to do this in the next couple years. I did replace the mechatronics electrical connector sleeve as a preventative measure in 2018.

Originally Posted by santalopian
Re: changing all fluids - really, you'd do them even if it cost you a possible transmission failure? I'm assuming a replacement used transmission for this car is ~$5000 cdn plus labour? Diff and transfer case I would definitely change.
I really don't understand the mechanics's comment about how a transmission fluid change could lead to transmission failure. Transmission fluid actually performs the power transmission function in the torque converter. It works all the time, and it has a limited lifetime. When I changed my transmission fluid at 185,000 km I did a Blackstone analysis. Certain metals were high, but the basic oil characteristics - viscosity in particular - were getting close to borderline for the oil specification. Here's the note from Blackstone on the test:

Blackstone transmission sample results

With the mileage that you're looking at, I would definitely have the transmission oil changed. The filter is integrated in the pan, so you need to replace the pan to replace the filter. It's not that difficult to do, the trickiest part of it is getting the level correct at the operating temperature of the transmission, and the fill plug is hidden behind the front driveshaft on an x-drive car, so it needs to be removed temporarily.

You're right - Vanos solenoids, boost controllers, vacuum lines are all DIY jobs if you're somewhat handy.

Good luck, let us know how this works out.
The following users liked this post:
santalopian (02-24-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 06:58 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xiT 6MT

FWIW... I got my 535xi at 160k miles like 5 years ago, at 250k now. The dealer changed the HPFP, plugs and a walnut blast at pickup.

My water pump failed about 2 years ago, had an oil leak from the filter housing and two months ago had a turbo coolant line burst. Otherwise a few electrical bugs from a leak in the sun roof.

It ran strong until the coolant line. No complaints or serious engine issues.

I'm presently dumping like 8k in upgrades and refurb after the failed coolant line if that says anything. It's a great wagon.
The following users liked this post:
santalopian (02-24-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 12:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by gman6262
I really don't understand the mechanics's comment about how a transmission fluid change could lead to transmission failure. Transmission fluid actually performs the power transmission function in the torque converter. It works all the time, and it has a limited lifetime. When I changed my transmission fluid at 185,000 km I did a Blackstone analysis. Certain metals were high, but the basic oil characteristics - viscosity in particular - were getting close to borderline for the oil specification. Here's the note from Blackstone on the test:

Blackstone transmission sample results

With the mileage that you're looking at, I would definitely have the transmission oil changed. The filter is integrated in the pan, so you need to replace the pan to replace the filter. It's not that difficult to do, the trickiest part of it is getting the level correct at the operating temperature of the transmission, and the fill plug is hidden behind the front driveshaft on an x-drive car, so it needs to be removed temporarily.
Thanks appreciate the info.

He mentioned that in his experience, changing the lifetime transmission fluid at higher miles led to transmission issues about 50% of the time. He agreed that the fluid should be changed, but cautioned that something could come up. Also stated that he doesn't change the filter when he does change the fluid for the first time with high mile BMW's. Just empties, refills, drives, empties refills drives, until the fluid looks new. He's highly rated fwiw.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:04 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Jerry1847
FWIW... I got my 535xi at 160k miles like 5 years ago, at 250k now. The dealer changed the HPFP, plugs and a walnut blast at pickup.

My water pump failed about 2 years ago, had an oil leak from the filter housing and two months ago had a turbo coolant line burst. Otherwise a few electrical bugs from a leak in the sun roof.

It ran strong until the coolant line. No complaints or serious engine issues.

I'm presently dumping like 8k in upgrades and refurb after the failed coolant line if that says anything. It's a great wagon.
Great to know, really appreciate your input.

It needs a walnut blast, probably badly as it hasn't had one in a long time, if ever. Also, the air suspension may still be the original or done in the first 160k kms, so that could come up at any point.

I think the limiting factor for me might be the colour combo. It's black on black. Which would normally be fine but that orangey brown interior is just glorious...