E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My High Mileage Old Wagon Log

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 E61
Default My High Mileage Old Wagon Log

Hey everyone! My name is Sunny. I was on the search for a long-term project car that was different. I wanted something manual and decently fast, yet different... I currently have a 650awhp coupe and a leased, reliable but slow crossover, both of which are automatic. Half of my previous cars were manual and I missed that drive feeling. All things pointed me to this wagon, and after many months of searching for a "deal" I picked up this 2008 535xi 6MT wagon with 197k miles as a project. I picked it up in Maine over the weekend and drove it straight back to NJ. It runs great for the most part, just needs some basic maintenance and a little rust repair. All maintenance from the previous owners were done at the dealership, according to Carfax. I'm going to try to see if I can get someone to pull all the actual service history for me. She's needs some TLC and would like to use this thread as a log of things I do to it.

A little about me:
I am a DIY guy and have done everything to my previous/current cars from basic maintenance to (easy) motor swaps. I've dealt with N/A, S/C'd, single and twin turbo cars before, but this is my first BMW and first I6. Yes, I am expecting problems as I know this is a high mileage BMW.

What I want for this wagon:
Be daily drive-able. Have whp in the 500s. Look good..

I'm first going to start with basic maintenance. I will start by doing oil, diff, coolant, and brake fluid changes. The motor mounts and wheel bearings currently need to be changed. I figure if the motor mount change requires me to drop the subframe (as I've read) then I will be installing down pipes at the same time. While I change the wheel bearinga, I'll most likely go with an M5 brake swap simultaneously. I will be flashing stage 1 via MHD after basic maintenance is completed.

I've read thru the "So You Just Bought An E60/61" pdf, Evan's and Hatterasman's logs and have learned quite a bit/gained motivation. If anyone has other suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Thank You!

Old 05-22-2019, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for sharing your journey with us and to the forum! We're looking forward to your installments.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535i X-Drive
Model Year: 2010

Good luck on the project.

Other items that come to mind include: torque converter fluid, and if you have the subframe down, the oil pan gasket. Also, check your turbos/wastegates. If they are on the way out, and if the budget allows, new turbos would be easier to install at that time - especially given your horsepower goals.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Thanks for sharing your journey with us and to the forum! We're looking forward to your installments.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by zoom750
Good luck on the project.

Other items that come to mind include: torque converter fluid, and if you have the subframe down, the oil pan gasket. Also, check your turbos/wastegates. If they are on the way out, and if the budget allows, new turbos would be easier to install at that time - especially given your horsepower goals.
Vehicle is manual, so no torque converter, but I do need to do the transfer case fluid. As much as I'd love to go with bigger turbos right now, I'm thinking of just going FBO to ride this 198k motor out. I will check the waste gates though and oil pan gasket. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: 535i X-Drive
Model Year: 2010

My error. Meant transfer case.

Also, don't forget to inspect the oil filter housing gasket and the belts.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by zoom750
My error. Meant transfer case.

Also, don't forget to inspect the oil filter housing gasket and the belts.
OFHG is on the list of things to check while doing the maintenance/mods. The serpentine belt was check prior to the purchase so I know I wouldn't have to worry about it on the drive back lol.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 PM
New Members

Just a small update. AR design had a DP sale this weekend so I went ahead and purchased some E60xi cat deletes. In addition, about to place an order for DCI, Inlets, CP, motor mounts, trans mount, all four wheel bearings, M5 hubs, and the accompanying nuts/bolts so they should arrive in the coming week.

For this weekend:

The interior was pretty dirty from the previous owner's and their children, and the floor mats were "cut to fit" as seen in the previous pic. I purchased some all weather mats to put in and they arrived pretty fast. I gave it a little vacuum and put the new mats in. Once I do all the basic maintenance/mods it will go to my detailer to give it a nice steam cleaning and shampoo, but for now it will do.

The rear console was missing the 12V plugs which was bothering me for some stupid reason, even though I never pay attention to it, so I went ahead and 3D printed some plugs. I only had gray filament, but it doesn't look too bad for the time being..

I'm also looking in to a comfort access retrofit, I've been reading up on the e90 forums. It's pretty annoying trying to remember to reach in the pocket to get the key, then stick it in the ignition when my others I just get in and go. I don't understand why BMW would not make it standard when it comes with a "push button start". Yes i know it's a first world problem, please don't get on me for it
Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 AM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Wow, that seems like a pile of work, good luck! I just think of all those antennas throughout the car and the wiring with them....
Old 10-17-2019, 09:28 AM
New Members

Soo it's been quite a while since I worked on it due to not having time. I had a bad valve cover gasket leak that would make the oil drip on to the turbos and smoke like crazy. The car sat for about two months until finally yesterday I had the opportunity to get it done. I installed a brand new valve cover with gasket, RB PCV, windshield washer level sensor, VSRF chargepipe, Tial BOV, and VSRF DCI.

I took it for a spin and it seemed to not build boost. With no SES lights I was starting to think maybe it is just that slow lol. I checked everything over and over again with many redline pulls, then decided I might as well change out all the vacuum lines, since that seems to be a culprit for most. In the process I realized that the small hose connected to the rear turbo boost solenoid had ever so slightly popped off. I finished changing all the lines out and took it for a drive, it was soo much better. Then I went ahead and flashed MHD. Wow, what a difference. It feels amazing for a wagon!

I have yet to install other parts I have sitting, but this was always planned to be a slow moving project. Hopefully, time permitting, I can get things done before winter. Until then, it's just going to be driven around once a week, if that, to keep things moving around.

Late night valve cover change out:

New valve cover and DCIs installed! I have to still figure something out for the PS reservoir.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 PM
New Members

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: Deep Sea Blue E61 535xi

Outstanding. Love seeing these behemoths cared for.
Reading your initial post from last May spurred me into ordering 20ft of Verocious Motorsports 3.5mm black vacuum lines since my own ride is now almost 12 years old and still on the original lines.
Figure I'll tackle that and not have to worry about it in the future.
The following users liked this post:
sunny201 (10-22-2019)

Quick Reply: My High Mileage Old Wagon Log