E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Active Steering Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been searching on the net 1½ year about this problem with the active steering. Seems like this fault is not so usual because what i understand when people get this problem their steering wheel is no longer centered. Mine is centered and i believe that the active steering is still working. Standing still 2 rounds(spelling?)

So this started in june 2010. Just jumped in to the car, started and pling, warning came up in the idrive. Since that day this warning comes EVERY TIME i turn on the ignition. I don´t need to start the car to get this warning.

Went to BMW workshop and first they say that the module is broken so i changed that with no difference.
Then they said that the cables are a little black in the connector against the steering rack. I change cables with no difference.
Then they say that i must change the steering rack for a cost 33000swedish crowns (about 3300euro).
I thought that it is and old car and i can live with this problem, but now it´s getting irritating this pling every time i hear it.

So is there anybody who might know something about this? I would be very very greatful to get rid of this fault.
Is there some changeable sensors in the rack that can be broken that sends this to the instrument although the AS works fine?

It is a 525i 2004 E61

(Sorry about my english/spelling. I´m a little finnish guy in sweden )
Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Members

Anybody?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar warning come up on my vehicle and it just turned out to be low power steering fluid, which I ended up purchasing and refilling myself. But if you took your car to a BMW mechanic I'd think that would be one of the first things they would have checked, so not really sure.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I had a similar warning come up on my vehicle and it just turned out to be low power steering fluid, which I ended up purchasing and refilling myself. But if you took your car to a BMW mechanic I'd think that would be one of the first things they would have checked, so not really sure.

Thanks i filled it a little 3 days ago but maybe i can fill some more. The car was leaning a little bit.
Just curious how much did you fill with this fluid?
And you had exactly the same problem? Just turn on the ignition without even starting the car when this popped up?
Old 02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eternity81
Thanks i filled it a little 3 days ago but maybe i can fill some more. The car was leaning a little bit.
Just curious how much did you fill with this fluid?
And you had exactly the same problem? Just turn on the ignition without even starting the car when this popped up?
Mine was quite a bit low actually, I filled it up turned the car on turned the steering wheel left and right and refilled it. Yeah in my situation the light went off and hasn't come back. It might not be a simple fix in your situation like it was with mine but it was worth checking.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Mine was quite a bit low actually, I filled it up turned the car on turned the steering wheel left and right and refilled it. Yeah in my situation the light went off and hasn't come back. It might not be a simple fix in your situation like it was with mine but it was worth checking.
So i did check this now and i filled it that the level is on max, but without results.
Search continues
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

is there a fill sensor on the fluid resorvoir that may be bad?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
is there a fill sensor on the fluid resorvoir that may be bad?
I have not seen any sensors on the reservoir at all.
Who knows i may be blind so i will check that once again.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Members

i had the prob before on my prelci 04-e60.
turned out to be the battery.
even the steering wasnt aligned.. but after replacing the batt everything worked nicely
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Members

the steering rack problem is unfortunately quite common issue. if that what it is and you can live with it, get it to code the issue out, so the warning wont come up. but remember, your DSC wont do its job unless you have your steering fixed. you can always try to reinitialize the steering, reset the alignment with INPA and reinitialize, see what it does.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Fault